Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
daisyprincess98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
mama's that cio...

how long do you let them cry before you go in there? DD just WON'T sleep tongiht and I'm alone while DH is working and i NEED a break from her crying and clawing and squirming. How long do I let her cry before comforting her?

Advertisement

daisyprincess98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:
Re: mama's that cio...

It depends - usually I let her cry for 5-10 minutes before goin in. I wouldnt talk though or pick her up, i rubbed her back or something to sooth her for 3-5 minutes then leave again
gl
Old 09-29-2006, 08:45 PM   #3
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

If she ever cried, it was probably because she dropped her pacifier. I would go in, give it to her, make sure nothing was bothering her, then leave. No timing or anything.

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The first time I did it, it didn't work. He cried for almost two hours and I ended up having to take him to bed with me. However, I went in intermittently, maybe every 15 min or so. Then I looked it up and got some info, and did it a little differently. I would wait 10 min, then go in. I would rub his back and try to comfort him without picking him up. Basically I was letting him know I was there. After that I waited 20 minutes, and then you're supposed to wait 40 minutes, but I never got that far. He was asleep about 20 min after that. The thing about CIO is that it doesn't really work at first. (for me anyways) It took about a week for him to start falling asleep on his own. Sometimes he'll wake up and cry still, but it'll only be for 5 minutes.

Good luck, its hard at first.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
Newtocloth2006
Registered Users

We did hard-core CIO from the beginning, 30 minutes. BUT, she never cried that long. Nowdays, she cries for less than 10. I can tell if she's really in trouble. Plus, she's talking more. So I'll hear, "Stuck", "binky", "blankie", "bear bear".
Old 09-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
momof4
Registered Users
seller

Is this for your little one? I wouldn't really do much of CIO at only 3 1/2 months of age. Mine is only a week or so younger, and if get overwhelmed, I go in to him after about 15 minutes, enough to let me get a grip. Once they're past 6 months, you can begin to let them cry until they fall asleep, but at this point, I think they need to know you're there for them. Good luck, mama -- it's never easy!
Old 09-30-2006, 10:09 PM   #7
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

ITA... about 10 minutes... but i also pay attention to their pitch. If it gets high pitched, then I go in and check to see what's happened.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:34 PM   #8
daisyprincess98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, mamas! FYI, I let her go 10 minutes last night and went in and got her. She fell asleep in my arms instantly. Tongiht, she fell asleep at 6:30 during her "dinner", and has been asleep ever since, so no more testing tonight. I thank you for the advice, it was exactly what i needed!
daisyprincess98 is offline   Reply With Quote