Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
missykay
Registered Users

My Mood:
Help please

My ds is 3.5 months today and he just seems to be "off" all the time now. We started suddenly having trouble putting him down for bed about 6 weeks ago. Over the past 6 weeks it has gradually progressed to bedtime and naps. He went through a monster growth spurt starting on the 3 month mark and continuing for 7 days after. The day it ended he went to bed so easily like he used to, but the next day everything was difficult again. He will only really sleep if he's moving or nursing. But he won't even really nurse to sleep because he wakes up screaming as soon as I put him down. Do I just continue to comfort nurse him all the time or will this come back to bite us later on? Please help. I'm physically and emotionally exhausted.

Advertisement

Forever missing Yuen Tien (12-9-11)
The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3
missykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help please

Oh, I've been there! Sometimes it seems as though at that age you just have to do whatever works. I hate to say this, but it could even be he's teething already. I think around that time with my LOs, they had to be more deeply asleep before I could put them down, but even if I did sucessfully transfer them to their cribs they would wake up within 20 minutes. Does he sleep in a swing ever? If that works don't worry about doing it even daily, just so he gets some sleep (and maybe you,too). Try a paci, try developing a comfort item (like a blankie), but if nothing else works just carry your baby in a sling while you get done what you meed to. And if you can get him to fall asleep while you nurse lying down, go for it so you can get a nap, too. HTH.

Last edited by imamama3; 04-19-2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: remembered another idea
imamama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
shaundap
Registered Users

Do you think he might be overtired when you are trying to put him down? At that age babies still can't stay awake for huge amounts of time and if they are kept up too long some can be real bears to put down for a nap.
While I don't like his explanations of crying it out, I LOVE a lot of the book: Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child, by Dr. Weissbluth. He talks about recognizing early sleep cues and getting babies to sleep i their "window" so you don't have to fight them for it. I have found this to be true with all 5 of my children, from birth all the way now (the oldest is 5).
Just a thought ... Good luck, and remember this too shall pass
shaundap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
bethaniemiller
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been there...actually, I am kind of still there with my 14 month old who is still a terrible sleeper. I have had the best luck with the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. He stresses the importance of recognizing "sleepy signs" and setting early, rather than later, bedtimes so your baby doesn't crash. You should be able to find this book at your local library - otherwise, I think I picked mine up at Borders.
Good luck, I know how stressful it gets when you are running on very little sleep. : (
bethaniemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
my3sweetpeas
Registered Users

My Mood:

Do you use a pacifier? Maybe he just has a strong need to suck and when he doesn't have you, he screams? Just a thought, my first 2 girls took a paci right away, easy. My 3rd one, I thought I wasn't going to make it....I tried 3 different pacifiers and she wouldn't take a one, but was doing the same thing...waking up if I wasn't nursing her, and wanting to nurse constantly!!! I finally went to Meijers and bought every paci they sold, vowing to find one she would take. It worked, almost 2 years later, I still remember the night I found the one she liked. From that molment on, she was happy as can be.

Just another thought!
Good luck!
my3sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:24 PM   #6
missykay
Registered Users

My Mood:

We do watch him for sleep cues but it doesn't seem to help. His nap times aren't set I put him down when he starts to yawn, rub his eyes, touch his face, etc. His bed time is 8pm because his dad commutes a long way and doesn't get home until 7pm. He doesn't get up until like 8:30 or 9 am though. When he starts to show that he's sleepy (or it's bedtime) I take him in, change his diaper, turn on a quiet cd, and rock him. We rock him until his eyes start to close then we lay him down in the crib and just sort of stand there until he dozes off. This worked wonderfully until about 6 weeks ago then out of nowhere he started getting completely inconsolable.
He started taking a pacifier at like 2 weeks because he does have a strong need to suck. We give him one when we put him down for naps or bedtime but lately it does nothing to calm him down.
How do I tell if he's teething? He does drool a LOT lately. He's even starting to get a little bit of a rash under his chin from where it's always wet under there. I gave him some Motrin tonight to see if that helped (if he really is teething I would like to get him an amber necklace. I'm not a big medicine fan) but I didn't really notice a difference.
Any other suggestions??
Forever missing Yuen Tien (12-9-11)
The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3
missykay is offline   Reply With Quote