Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
yagow2001
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Any "natural" help with PMS mood swings?

I'm one of the rare BFers who gets AF back early after delivery. I am so short-tempered with the kids many days during AF that I feel terrible, I just want to cry that I am setting such a bad example for my DD and making her cry more than usual because I can't stand her whining or not listening to me after I've told her something so many times. I just feel like I need a break or my head will explode. Maybe I'm not cut out for being a SAHM, it just kills me. I guess I should have talked to my OB yesterday when I had my Paragard (copper) IUD put in, but I was feeling okay yesterday. Today I'm back to moody b****. Does anybody have any herbs or anything they recommend? I chose to have the non-hormonal IUD so I wouldn't have un-natural hormones affecting my mood, but its happening anyway so I guess the pill wasn't the problem. I figure if I tell the OB in 6 weeks when I go back, none of the meds will be safe for nursing if she is willing to give me meds at all. I guess for now I will just go lay down for a while and pray for more patience while both kids are sleeping (probably last about another 10 minutes knowing my luck).

Advertisement

I've been paid to complete online surveys at http://OpinionOutpost.com/join/6696974
yagow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
lil'mommakaye
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any "natural" help with PMS mood swings?

OH MOMMA im W/ ya in that boat!!! I went to my health food store and found a nice homeopathic stress herb mixture that is real nice and calming, so natural an infant can take it for teething/gas or just crabbys. Its called HEEL BHI calming made from chamomilla,humulus lupulus, passifora incarnacia ect....bla bla bla all the scientific names of herbs ect. In my natural meds bood it advises to stay AWAY from sugars,coffee, red meat, poultery, alcohol, fats and starches 2 wks before expected AF (thats exactly what i crave too well NOT meat ) and taking Vit. E helps mood swings allong with taking chasteberry and dried vitex and evening primrose also up you Vit. B6! find a combo that works for you!
I watch what i eat, i know coffee makes me a wretched B!T@H when i PMS so i have to stay away from it all togather. i HAVE to take vit suplement for women everyday, stay away from alcohol and i take my stress herbs everytime i get stressed or anxious. ALOT of fresh fruit and veggis for a diet have also helped me allong w/ my yoga/meditation EVERYDAY! I hope you find what works!

Krystal
Momma to 99, 07 & Stella Grace 10/28/10
~My Star In Heaven~
lil'mommakaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
emilysvenson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You might try Vitex. It's supposed to be great for PMS mood swings, and it's very gentle. I've been taking it for a couple months, and I think it's starting to help.

I didn't notice how far postpartum you are, but it's best to wait until your milk supply is well established before starting Vitex because it suppresses prolactin and could possibly affect milk supply if started early, from my reading on it.

http://www.susunweed.com/Article_Vitex_RedMoonHerbs.htm
http://www.herbs.org/current/vitexpms.htm
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...m_c.html#vitex

Oh, and some extra B vitamins would probably be a good idea, too!

mama to Isaac (4/04) and Flynn (10/06)

Last edited by emilysvenson; 04-18-2008 at 06:41 PM.
emilysvenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
SublimeBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: hypnomom
seller

My Mood:

Vitex/ Chasteberry is also my top rec.. Fish oils and epo also help. Make sure to take high quality fish oils and around 1200-2700 mg active DHA/EPA per day. Alot of people take way too little. B vitamins.. sun and D3 are also great for mood swings.. a cal/mag will help you keep your energy up and if you take it at night you'll sleep better. Alfalfa is a great blood/ energy builder. I find that when Im running on empty energywise it's so much harder.

Good luck mama!
Old 04-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
yotricia02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeBaby View Post
Alfalfa is a great blood/ energy builder. I find that when Im running on empty energywise it's so much harder.
Sorry to hack but my midwife told me not to take any Alfalfa while breastfeeding because it effects milk supply. I would just be careful with that.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #6
SublimeBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: hypnomom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotricia02 View Post
Sorry to hack but my midwife told me not to take any Alfalfa while breastfeeding because it effects milk supply. I would just be careful with that.

Alfalfa is a galactagogue and therefore good for your milk supply Dunno if maybe your midwife was worried about oversupply issues.. but its a really gentle herb so that really shouldnt be an issue.

Here's some info from Kellymom.com