Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Revisiting the idea of another homebirth...

I'm pregnant with my third baby. We had planned a homebrith that ended up being a forceps hospital birth. I was traumatized and very hurt by the whole experience. I had mastitis 5 times, diagnosed with PPD and took a long time to get over my birth experience. (long, long story)

With my second I went the opposite extreme (what felt safe at the time) and had a very interventive birth (epi) with my second. Piece of cake. Quick delivery. Great recovery.

Now I'm in a completely different place (emotionally and physically) and I'm wanting to think about going for another homebirth. Only problem is that Dh has major fears. We're going to talk it through, but I thought it might be helpful to talk a bit here.

Has anyone has their homebirth dream taken away and then have a successful homebirth after? How did you dh react?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Mama to:Fischer 5,Amelia 2,Shepherd 12/5/08!
localuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Revisiting the idea of another homebirth...

I've not BTDT, but since your second birth was so easy WITH an epi in the hospital, I can only imagine your 3rd would be far more likely to be even easier than it would to repeat the trauma of your first.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

honestly i think i'm a wimp - i had both mine natural - semi breach with the first and thought the second head down would be considerably easier but it was not at all-

i think i want something to dull the pain next time

that said i really did like a birthcenter - its like a homebirth but without having to clean up yourself

Last edited by negrapy; 04-22-2008 at 02:29 PM.
negrapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I had a transfer with my 2nd. It really traumatized dh. He thought I was going to die. He was scared just to get pg again and probably wouldn't have but it was a surprise (no ppaf). The birth - which was at home, was wonderful. Very very easy.

I know the pain of having a dream taken away. There is heartbreak and grieving the birth you did not have. I don't know if having a hb will give you back what you lost with your first. It didn't for me. That birth will always follow me. But each birth is its own dream and if for you thats a hb even if you decide on a hospital birth if your heart is at home you will always feel like you lost it. (((Hugs))) I hope you and dh can agree on something thats right for you.
Michelle, momma to 8 and owner of
Follow our adventures in my Blog: Tales from the Quiver
oneofsix is offline   Reply With Quote