Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
anyone have experience with preeclampsia?

So during this pregnancy by blood pressure has been running a little high [like 142/70]...and over the weekend I had blurred vision [well these blurred spots...really weird] and saw bright flashes of light swimming before me. The baby moved wonderful all weekend. I did contact my provider this morning and am going in today at 3:45 to get checked out.

So from what I've read these can be signs of preeclampsia. Anyone have/had this or the blurred vision/lights...could it be something else?

I'm quite nervous about this. And I am so terrified of stillbirth, it seems like everyday I read about another mama who has had a stillbirth and I'm just a wreck over this It seems so common. And seriously it is almost an anxiety about it for me! There are times I LITERALLY break out into a cold sweat and get naseous thinking about something happening to the baby. I am over cautious with my kick counts and everything...I'm always making sure the baby moves.

Anyway...ughhh....any insight info you have would be great!

Advertisement

Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: anyone have experience with preeclampsia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
So during this pregnancy by blood pressure has been running a little high [like 142/70]...and over the weekend I had blurred vision [well these blurred spots...really weird] and saw bright flashes of light swimming before me. The baby moved wonderful all weekend. I did contact my provider this morning and am going in today at 3:45 to get checked out.

So from what I've read these can be signs of preeclampsia. Anyone have/had this or the blurred vision/lights...could it be something else?

I'm quite nervous about this. And I am so terrified of stillbirth, it seems like everyday I read about another mama who has had a stillbirth and I'm just a wreck over this It seems so common. And seriously it is almost an anxiety about it for me! There are times I LITERALLY break out into a cold sweat and get naseous thinking about something happening to the baby. I am over cautious with my kick counts and everything...I'm always making sure the baby moves.

Anyway...ughhh....any insight info you have would be great!

First of all.....

I had PreEclampsia with ds. {He was not my first baby though which everyone says is unusual}. My then ob also made me take a 'low dose of insulin" so that I wouldn't have GD issues. {Yeah.. looking back that was stupid} Anyway.. I had headaches, blurred vision, etc. To be honest, I am not sure if it was because of PreEclampsia or the insulin and side effects. I know that having high blood pressure causes blurrred vision and especially spots. I also felt dizzy. It got so bad that I was gaining 10lbs every two days! You will start swelling/retaining water as it gets bad. I was swollen so badly that you couldn't even see my knee caps. My face/throat, arms, hands, legs, ankles, and feet were enormous and I couldn't even walk near the end. The obs I were seeing then started talking about induction, but I got sick of waiting around. They had been totally ignoring my blood pressure as they didn't think it was high. My blood pressures were 130/80 and 132 most of the time as I got sicker. My normal pressure was 110/80 and I have NEVER had a blood pressure over that. NEVER. Anyway.. I was lucky that DS decided he needed out too and the day I turned 37 weeks I had a dr's appointment to 'discuss" induction. I arrived and I was already dilated 5/6cms. DS was born that day very healthy weighing 7lbs. 14ozs. I do worry about getting it again, but so far we are good to go.

I did have a stillbirth before this pregnancy which makes this pregnancy super scary. It had nothing to do with PreEclampsia though. I had complete placenta previa that detached slowly. We are very lucky that this little guy is doing great. I was so relieved when I could finally start feeling him move. It truly was a relief.

Good Luck to you Mama!! I think Gestational Diabetes also causes headaches, etc so it could be that too. Mostly it sounds like PreEclampsia, but since I am not a doctor I would just ask your ob.
Please keep us posted!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
baby1577
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I was put on strict bed rest at 31 weeks because of PreE. I had MAJOR headaches, some blurred vision, and swelling. I was seen twice a week at that point. Once a week by my OB, and once a week at the hospital to have NSTs. One weekend I was feeling particularly crappy, and when my mom too my blood pressure it was 190/110. The admitted me to L&D for observation and blood work and once on fluids and flat on my back got my pressures semi-under control. My tests came back that I was in early stages of liver failure, and that my platelet level was low. That same day delivered a 7lb 15oz boy at 35w6d and neither of us had any problems after delivery.

The only thing you can do, is follow your provider's orders. I felt totally helpless the entire time, but I kept reminding myself that it was all out of my hands. If I went in kicking and screaming my Dr. wouldn't deliver me, just because I was terrified of something happening. I know it sounds crazy, but try your very best to relax, mama. Keep us posted!
I am living the dream selling Plexus! Message me for info about a line of products that can help your family achieve overall wellness. Free shipping for all my DS mamas! Join my team today and find financial freedom! I have! http://shea7.myplexusproducts.com
baby1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
mama2logan&evan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had preeclampsia starting around 32 weeks. Mine started out with incredible swelling and weight gain (I gained a total of 75lbs during the pregnancy) and UTI after UTI (which were extremely painful, 3 of them brought me to the ER). Eventually the high blood pressure started. I never had the vision problems, though. Make sure you're getting as much rest as possible and drink A LOT of water. I'm a big water drinker and I still wasn't drinking enough. I was put on bedrest while at home and had to go into the clinic every other day for non stress tests. Had I not gone into labor on my own I would have been induced a week later.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
Julie K
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got sudden onset pre-e at 35 weeks with dd and it was severe. I had high BP, tons of swelling, headaches, blurred vision, and protein in the urine. I'm glad you're going to get checked out today, the possibility of pre-e is nothing to ignore. In the care of an OB there's very little chance of a bad outcome.

I've also had a stillbirth, but that was totally unrelated to my pre-e.
Julie K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
andrea0324
Registered Users

My Mood:

mama!

It is scary and quite a ride as you've read from all the other stories. In all honestly, though, the PP is right--with good care there's very little chance of a bad outcome. They monitor you very closely and are constantly weighing the risk ratio of premature baby vs sick mama.

My pre-e developed about 30 weeks or so. At first I had to go into my MW more often for closer monitoring. When it started to get worse, I had went on bedrest at home with 2x/week NSTs. After a week or so at home I was admitted to the hospital for 10 days. DD was born 3 days before my induction date at 35w 5d. She spent 4 days in the NICU having her temp and blood sugar monitored. She is now a very healthy 2 year old with no lasting effects.

It goes differently for everyone, but listening to your provider and following their directions are the best things you can do. Feel free to PM me if you need a buddy!

I blog! Stop on by! www.northernlightsmama.blogspot.com
andrea0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #7
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

I meant to update earlier! Sorry!
Oh gosh to the mamas who have had stillbirths I just can't even imagine! It's my biggest fear while being pregnant! [Goodness then birth happens and I fear SIDS! can you tell I may have anxiety! ]
For myself, I've really had to pray a lot about this and put it in God's hands because sometimes there are things we just can't control.

It's good to know that PreE can be fairly controlled though!

Anyway....I was all checked out and strangely enough there was not a darn thing wrong! [which I'm very thankful!] My BP was actually low! 110/60! My sugar was great...nothing in my urine! The OB said it was more than likely from the extra fluid that pregnancy brings [plus I've had a sinus thing going on] and all that was playing with my vision. Which I've never had happen with a sinus infection before, but there's a first time for everything!

Thanks again mamas!!!
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
localuna
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was on partial bed rest for BP with my second.

Try: blueribbonbaby dot org
localuna is offline   Reply With Quote