Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2006, 07:25 AM   #11
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: This is why I refuse to let dogs around my child!!!

OMG that poor baby! WHY are people so STUPID? OMG we had gotten a dog when we were in Hawaii (first dog for me I am a cat person) and the b!tch was a lil b!tch seriously though she'd only listen to hubby, and she snapped at Cody and I, I said oh HELL NO! She had to GO! Bad enough Cody and I but goodness I was pregnant and not about to be having some psycho dog with a baby coming! now, who knows if I'll ever get us a dog again lol maybe a tiny chihuaha (sp) lol but I may stick to cats, and even that will wait til Gavin is older

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2006, 07:43 AM   #12
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I grew up around dogs....I can remember sitting on my family's standard poodle/lab mix and pretending he was a horse...lol.
I have 2 dogs and I ALWAYS supervise. My dogs are great but you never know.
My neighbors had a mean rotty. He actually killed a neighbors dog. The people were sued for 35,000 and did NOT put the dog down. The dog ended up attacking 4 people. The owner being one of them. I actually went over her house and told her that I love dogs but she has no right to have an aggressive dog in a neighborhood with so many kids. I wouldn't even walk around the neighborhood alone when I was pregnant because the dog used to get out. WHen I confronted her, she said "but the dog loves me, I could never put him to sleep"....the dog ended up dying of a disease. The dumb B*tch went and bought 2 MORE ROTTIES! The people don't even know how to train a dog. If you are going to get a know aggressive breed (and yes there are dogs who are more aggressive by nature) you MUST train them.
As for the little girl who got attacked by the pitt, the family needs to re-evaluate who is important in their life. Children are not on the same level as pets!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:15 AM   #13
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who gets upset by this! My bil, who lives right next door, has a fullblooded German Rottweiler. According to him, he wouldn't hurt anyone, but seriously, the dog weighs more than me!!! His head is bigger than mine and he scares me. Rottweillers are also known for sudden no reason attacks. I never take dd over there or even in the yard because the fence isn't tall enough, he's jumped it before not to mention he could just ram the thing and knock it down. Thankfully, my bil keeps it inside most of the time. We have a German Shepard, but I don't trust him, David found him at his shop and brought him home, He just gives me bad vibes but he's in a fenced in area and we are trying to give him away. Actually, chiuawauas bite alot more often than most breeds, they are very shaky and nervous dogs and kids will make them more so

ETA : I wasn't trying to pin in on the breed itself, just some breeds are KNOWN as is documented for aggressive behavior. Any dog can bite and I know that. The German Shepard we have has killed one of our cats and has bitten another one but thankfully my bf yanked him off before he killed him. The German Rottweiller, belive it or not, is friends with a tiny little kitty cat. They play and sleep together. But I still don't like either one of the dogs. I don't trust them, and I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but dogs have teeth and they can do some major damage.

Last edited by Tootsiemomma; 10-04-2006 at 08:39 AM.
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:22 AM   #14
cowmommy
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Matthew 5:44
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

there was a little girl killed in WV last year by a pit bull I think charges were filed against the parents AND the owners of the dog and the dog was put down. This is a very touchy subject for me too
Old 10-04-2006, 08:27 AM   #15
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope that baby is ok. You should not leave ANY animal alone around a baby, whether it be cat, dog, bird...you get the idea. They are not human and don't really understand that they cannot play with people they way that they do with other animals.

Ok, let's not be breed specific about vicious dogs. Did you know that the dog that has the most reported bites is a COCKER SPANIEL...Yes, a cocker spaniel, not pit bulls (which isn't really a breed anyway), rotties, etc... It depends on the specific dogs temperement and the environment that it is raised in.

I have always had dogs and cats. I hope that I will always. I was also attacked when I was younger and almost killed by a german shepherd. It was my neighbors dog that was at my house playing with me and the neighbors kid. Then it just attacked me. That dog was put down. I was only 4 so I really don't know why it attacked, or what happened. I still have scars all around my neck from that.

The only other dog that has bitten me was a Dauschund! And my cat is actually the one animal that did nerve damage to me in my hand when he bit me.

I have 2 boxers right now, and I do not leave them alone with my DD. Although, they all play together and when we leave in the morning, she goes up to give them kisses bye. She doesn't even do that with her daddy! I do not leave her alone with the cat either.

I just don't trust animals, but I'm not going to stereotype any breeds. I have rotties that were angels, and my sister has a chihuhua that bites everything around and is horrible. Little dogs can be just as vicious as big dogs and do damage to babies as well.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:34 AM   #16
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is good information to teach our kids

PARENTS

Consider the selection of any dog carefully. Speak with a professional to make an informed decision. Ask questions about the dog's background. Involve the family in the selection; be sensitive to cues that a child is fearful or apprehensive about a dog (if so, delay getting the dog). Spend time with a dog before bringing it into your home. Use caution about bringing a dog or puppy into the home of an infant or toddler.

Dogs should be sterilized to reduce aggressive tendencies. Never leave infants or young children alone with any dog. Make certain that any dog entering the household receives proper training and socialization. Try to teach submissive behaviors such as rolling over to show stomach and taking food away without growling. Dogs with prior histories of aggression should not be considered appropriate for families with children.
Teach children basic safety around dogs and review these ideas regularly. If your dog develops aggressive or undesirable behaviors, seek professional help immediately. Don't play aggressive games with your dog such as wrestling and "siccing."

CHILDREN

Never approach an unfamiliar dog.
Never play with a dog unless supervised by an adult.
Immediately report stray dogs or dogs displaying unusual behavior to an adult.
Never run from a dog and scream.
Avoid direct eye contact with a dog.
Don't disturb a dog that is sleeping, eating, or caring for puppies.
Don't pet a dog without letting it see and sniff you first.
Remain motionless when approached by an unfamiliar dog.
If knocked over by a dog, lie still and remain in a ball.
If bitten, report the bite to an adult immediately.

The authors add in conclusion that "it is important to recognized that most of the 52 million dogs in this country never bite or kill anyone. However, the problems caused by the highly visible minority of animals and their owners have far-reaching consequences."

http://www.idir.net/~wolf2dog/FatalDogAttacks.htm
Old 10-04-2006, 08:40 AM   #17
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My little brother was attacked by a pit bull. The family who owned it did put it down. I can't understand leaving a child that young alone outside, with any dog, let alone a pit bull. I grew up with labradors. Of the many we had, they all had the same sweet peronality and loved people and kids. My mom still has one to this day and he is 15 years old. DD LOVES this dog. She pulls, pinches, pokes, crawls all over him and he just lays there. Even still, after 15 years with this dog, who has never so much as growled at anybody, I sit right there beside them as she tortures the poor critter.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #18
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately,
there are aggressive breeds. They were bred for very specific purposes...the "pit bull" got its nickname because it was used as a form of entertainment. The dog's purpose was to take down and kill a bull in an actual pitt. People used to pay to watch for entertainment (I believe it started in England).
When I worked at the vet hospital we were given a piece of paper and it said:
The following breeds are more likely to be aggressive:
Cocker Spaniel
Akita
Rottweiler
Stafforshirde* Terrier (pitt bull)
German SHeperd
Dalmation
Daschund
Doberman
wolf hybrid
This is in no order....My friend was almost killed by an akita while we were at work. Another girl was bitten in the mouth by a cocker spaniel. You just never know.
The reality is, pitts have lock jaw and rotties have massive jaws. I have known nice dogs of both breeds but I would NEVER allow my child to play with them. Pit Bulls are actually outlawed in Miami-Dade County. If I offend anyone I am sorry. It is just common sense, the bigger the dog the bigger the bite (and yes there are exceptions to the rule). My cousin's Pitt snapped at my uncle's face...actually got his mustache. My stupid cousin still has the dog! Some people!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:03 PM   #19
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had a Staffie mix for a short time (American Staffordshire Terrier - cousin to the American Pit Bull Terrier). She was the sweetest dog I've ever met. These dogs are FABULOUS family pets in the right hands! They MUST be trained and properly socialized, otherwise you're inviting trouble. Still, I agree, no animal should ever be left unattended with children! Also, if the dog has been aggressive, it needs to be evaluated and properly dealt with. Anyway, it is so sad to hear stories like this. People really need to be more responsible with their pets - they need to know the breed, know it's temperament, train it properly, and play with it properly.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #20
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There was just something on our local news last night about a pit bull biting a 2 yo. Thankfully, he is ok, but needed 20-some stitches in his face.

Also, my IL's neighbor's dog bit his owner in the face and she had to have surgery on her eye. And it was her own dog, who supposedly had never done anything like this before and had no provocation.

I never leave my kids alone with any animal--and I love animals. They're just too unpredictable.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote