Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
sweetpeamami83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone have a homebirth with united healthcare?

Just wondering if anyone has united health care and has had a homebirth? Our insurance doesn't kick in until may 5th (assuming baby doesn't come before then) and they don't consider pregnancy a pre-existing condition. So just wondering if anyone has had a homebirth with this insurance. Did they cover the birth? if so did you pay and then get reimbursed? does it have to be a cnm or did you have a cpm?

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have a homebirth with united healthcare?

We have United Healthcare and they are covering 100% (minus one $20 copay) of our midwife's fees. When I called and asked about a homebirth, they said that all of the midwife's fees would be covered along with any supplies/equipment and that there shouldn't be any other fees with a home birth. However, my midwife won't do home births more than 30 miles from a hospital, so we are having a midwife assisted birthing center birth.

There are no 'in network' midwives in my area, so I had no choice but to use an 'out of network' midwife. If there aren't any 'in network' midwives within 30 miles of you (I think it is 30 miles, but I don't remember for sure now), you can get a 'network gap' to have an 'out of network' midwife covered the same as an 'in network' one would be.

I'm sure there are different levels of coverage with United Healthcare, but we have had very good luck with them so far. We have not had to pay because our midwife bills insurance directly, but the insurance rep I spoke with said that we could do it either way. My midwife is a CNM, don't know about CPM, but you can always call and ask them. They've always been very helpful to me when I've had questions.

Good luck!
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
sweetpeamami83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks!
Old 04-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have UHC also, but obviously my policy is a bit different than pp's, as they are not covering the birth 100% because my midwife is out of network. So, I have to meet my deductible of $400 and then they cover 70% of the rest. And my midwife (CPM) will bill them for us, so they should be sending us a check after the birth. I was pretty happy with it, as so many people don't get *any* insurance coverage for hb. However if I had my baby in the hospital, UHC would have covered it 100% (like my 2nd baby).
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
babyholic
Registered Users

I have United Healthcare, but I have only had 1 Dr visit and an U/S and will probably not be having any other outside care. I am pretty much having an unassisted pregnancy and planning a UC, too. I am 29 weeks pregnant with a surrogate baby.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
I have UHC also, but obviously my policy is a bit different than pp's, as they are not covering the birth 100% because my midwife is out of network. So, I have to meet my deductible of $400 and then they cover 70% of the rest. And my midwife (CPM) will bill them for us, so they should be sending us a check after the birth. I was pretty happy with it, as so many people don't get *any* insurance coverage for hb. However if I had my baby in the hospital, UHC would have covered it 100% (like my 2nd baby).
Did you call to see if you could get a network gap if there aren't any in network midwives in your area? I wouldn't have known about it at all if a very helpful customer service rep hadn't mentioned it to me.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinhomewithmy3 View Post
Did you call to see if you could get a network gap if there aren't any in network midwives in your area? I wouldn't have known about it at all if a very helpful customer service rep hadn't mentioned it to me.
What's a network gap? There are hospital (CNM) midwives in my area, but no homebirth midwives, so I'm not sure if that would work - perhaps they would say "Well, CNMs are available, but you chose someone else, so too bad."??? Tell me more - I'd love to not have to spend $$ if I don't have to!!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
What's a network gap? There are hospital (CNM) midwives in my area, but no homebirth midwives, so I'm not sure if that would work - perhaps they would say "Well, CNMs are available, but you chose someone else, so too bad."??? Tell me more - I'd love to not have to spend $$ if I don't have to!!
You can only get a network gap if there aren't any in-network midwives within 30 miles of you. If there are, even if those at the hospital are in-network, then I would guess you couldn't get it. Is the hospital within 30 miles of where you live? Maybe I got lucky in that there are only 3 midwives in my area and none of them are in-network. You can do a search on the UHC website to see if the hospital ones are in-nework.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinhomewithmy3 View Post
You can only get a network gap if there aren't any in-network midwives within 30 miles of you. If there are, even if those at the hospital are in-network, then I would guess you couldn't get it. Is the hospital within 30 miles of where you live? Maybe I got lucky in that there are only 3 midwives in my area and none of them are in-network. You can do a search on the UHC website to see if the hospital ones are in-nework.
Oh, that won't be possible for us then. I have TWO hospitals within 10 and 15 miles of my house and I know there are tons of midwives who are in-network there. There are actually tons of great choices around here for hossy midwives, just not so many for homebirth.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Oh, that won't be possible for us then. I have TWO hospitals within 10 and 15 miles of my house and I know there are tons of midwives who are in-network there. There are actually tons of great choices around here for hossy midwives, just not so many for homebirth.
Oh, that's a big bummer. Then I would say you're right to think of it in the way that most people don't have any coverage for homebirth midwives, so even your out of network coverage is much better than that. Must look on the positive side, right?