Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #11
Dire Wolf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you child is on the autistic spectrum, what treatments are you doing?

Dori is ten and was dxed 3 years ago with Asperger's Symdrome. Getting to that point was a very long and painful road. We have gone through many different therapies and none have contained medications as they dont work on the autism itself only the comorbids that occur with it. We found that the horse therapy and ceramics as occupational therapy. Organic foods and our hot tub have been the best therapy. The one thing I can stress is that they need lots of stucture, an extremely stable and loving environment. One of the best ways to help Dori modify her behavior was to simply tell her what she is doing wrong and give her the proper reaction at the time her behavior issue. I absolutely love having Dori in my life, she has taught me so much about who I am and how I interact with others. There are times when I want to pull my hair out, like today, but they are fleeting moments and I get to see her grow and become such an amazing young woman. She is much more capable of love than anyone else I have ever known, it is truly amazing to watch her struggle one day and then get up and start the next day with fresh hope and new strength. I guess I'm just trying to say that there are lots of therapies but its best to start small and go bigger. If your lo doesn't have any medical issues then don't go with meds. We found the simplest therapies worked the most, fun things that dont seem like "help" kwim? If the dx is for high functioning, then there is the chance that they may not need much help. Sorry for rambling but this is a very near and dear subject to me.

Advertisement

Wife to Karl, mother in our blended home.
Ask me about the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks.
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #12
maddy
Registered Users
seller

I read an article in Canada about the best place in the country to get cancer treatments-apparently if you're from BC you get the best care. I wonder where the best place to raise a child on the spectrum is? Up here in Canada we have waitlists for everything and it is very frustrating for parents. The stats are rising for Autism 1 in 150 children and I don't see the services for these children keeping pace. I always try to remember to be the polite and persistent squeeky wheel.
maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Tiffany was diagnosed with high functioning Asperger Syndrome years ago. She was on Adderall, Stratera and Concerta (all one at a time). We hated how she was on those meds so we took her to a DAN! doc and got her off the meds. She still has symptoms but not as badly as she had them before the DAN! doc. She is not on any meds at all and won't need them.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
Dire Wolf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy View Post
I read an article in Canada about the best place in the country to get cancer treatments-apparently if you're from BC you get the best care. I wonder where the best place to raise a child on the spectrum is? Up here in Canada we have waitlists for everything and it is very frustrating for parents. The stats are rising for Autism 1 in 150 children and I don't see the services for these children keeping pace. I always try to remember to be the polite and persistent squeeky wheel.
I had tons of issues with the town I lived in 20 miles away from here. They put Dori in a "special day class" which was kids with severe Down's and MS and the likes, she didn't learn any math or writing skills for almost 2 years of school. Then we moved to our small town here and Dori has an aide and is fully integrated with high marks. It was like night and day, Dori likes going to school now and loves to tell me about the things she's learning. Does Canada have standards or mandates for special education? There seems to be a lesser regard for these kids in towns of about 40k to 60k here, places where they are big enough to recieve less funding, but not big enough to have a good, stable economy, kwim? In california, the best place to raise a child with autism is the Silicon Valley in Northern Cali or Malibu in Southern Cali. I've also heard that Texas has some grat programs as well. There is a school just for kids on the Spectrum in Boston I think, or New York, called the Millenial Hope School. It's $50k a semester I think but it's supposed to be amazing, they do social integration and life skills along with catered learning systems for each child. I personally want to homeschool Dori, but can't get my ex to agree. Can you homeschool special needs kids in Canada? Then the therapies can be tailored to what your lo needs at the best times for them to respond to them.

Wife to Karl, mother in our blended home.
Ask me about the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks.
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote