Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
c2afwife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Got TOO much milk?

I do. I have a really good supply...which is great, except I am tired of having to pump. And I know that the more you pump the more milk you will produce. But I hate being really engorged and I hate waking in the night to a soaking wet shirt! What what what do I do???? Do I just live with this? Or is there something I can do to get my body to produce as much milk as my little guy needs and that's it?

Advertisement

c2afwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
onejadedlyric
Registered Users

My Mood:
Wink Re: Got TOO much milk?

Here's my Whenever that happened to me my body adjusted the supply to meet the demand. Soon, I didn't have the full breasts after waking. There are times however, that I just had to pump but it didn't mess up anything. The key is to not pump regularly if you don't have to. My advice would be to hang in there!!! HTH

Truly Blessed!!! Proud mom of DS (5/21/2006) & DD (3/17/2008)
Happily married to my amazing DH & BFF since 4/19/2003

Last edited by onejadedlyric; 04-24-2008 at 01:04 PM.
onejadedlyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:
Re: Got TOO much milk?

It actually took my breasts several months to regulate and I just dealt with it. I was actually afraid to pump for fear that I would produce even more. I know it's uncomfortable and messy but give it some more time.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
oneofsix
Registered Users

My Mood:

Usually it takes about 6 weeks for the supply to be regulated. You won't be engorged. Normally I just live with it. Sometime I pump a couple of bottles to have just in case. Use prefolds at night in your shirt, it helps to keep your sheets dry.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
christianethansmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi mama. I noticed you just had your baby a few weeks ago. This time is very painful for most moms with an oversupply. I had a mega oversupply. I wanted to build up a freezer stash so I pumped in the beginning. After the first few weeks, I started tapering off on the pumping. As soon as I noticed kiddo getting into a constant nursing/sleeping pattern, I stopped pumping sessions. If I was very uncomfortable at night, I would do a warm basin dip. I'd fill the sink with warm water and dip dip dip. That would relieve me just enough but without having to pump. If you're like me, once I start pumping, I can't stop. I start with the intention to just pump enough to get comfortable, but then I can't stop and pump pump pump until I've got 4 oz from each breast. I'm 9 months pp now. Thinking back, I starting to feel comfortable at around 6 months pp. My supply was completely in balance around 7-8 months and now I am breast pad free!! YEAH!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
ChunkiBunz Diaperz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

when ds was in the hospital i had to pump because he wasnt able to eat so at the time i was just pumping until there wasnt anymore and when he was able to eat it was a very tiny amount and i would always have to pump and i hated it but eventually it slowed down to what he needed. i was just sore for a few days or a week i dont remember.

Check out River City Boutique -Blog & HC You can Fan me at the bottom of my HC
NWI Natural Family Living Fair 8-2010-Blog & Fan Page more info to come
[/FONT]
ChunkiBunz Diaperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
kikani420
Banned

i know my milk supply is to low and they recommend warm washclothes maybe cold compresses?
kikani420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
Edswife25
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wore nursing pads until Remi was 18 months. At 20 months when I pumped for the very first time (for a friend starting chemo who had a 4 month old.) I easily pumped 8 ounces in about 5 minutes. I know oversupply. I remember waking up a few weeks after Remi was born to the feeling of liquid squirting my face. I had taken to sleeping topless with blue pads underneath me and I'd started leaking. The fountain of milk landed square in my face. It's pretty funny now.

Your supply WILL regulate. If it's truely oversupply and not just that it hasn't regulated yet, you may always have wet shirt issues. However your babe is still really new and it will take another 4 weeks or so to notice some regulation. Pumping will probably prolong that. Like a PP mentioned if it gets really uncomfy HAND express just enough to relieve the pain. Or stand in a warm shower and let it naturally let down. It'll get better soon mama, I promise!
Edswife25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:46 AM   #9
bellarose4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree you just need to give it some time. DD is 9 months and I still wake up with really full boobs, but it is much better than when she was super young. I still have to wear nursing pads full time!
#3 12/05/10
bellarose4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #10
patzgrl84
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2afwife View Post
I do. I have a really good supply...which is great, except I am tired of having to pump. And I know that the more you pump the more milk you will produce. But I hate being really engorged and I hate waking in the night to a soaking wet shirt! What what what do I do???? Do I just live with this? Or is there something I can do to get my body to produce as much milk as my little guy needs and that's it?
It took my body 6 months to regulate.Do not pump unless you want to store milk and if you do want to pump to store it then stick to one certain time of the day to do your pumping, for ex, If one day you pump in the morning and the next day you pump at night,this will confuse your body and you'll make more milk. If you feel painfully engorged hand express to comfort and use cold compress in between feedings. While in the shower avoid the water from hitting your breasts.Check out kellymom.com its got alot of good info on oversupply.Hang in there, it will get better.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Fieldcraftmama
patzgrl84 is offline   Reply With Quote