Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
MaeghanAlyson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
HELP!!!

Layla will NOT take a bottle. She went 7 hours w/o eating on monday bc she wouldnt take a bottle. We have tried 4 different kinds so far and nothing. AHHH I'm starting classes in less than a month AND i'm supposed to go out of town this weekend. IDK what to do!!

Advertisement

MaeghanAlyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP!!!

Have you tried cup feeding or a syringe? It is not the easiest, but options. When my youngest DS wouldn't drink from a bottle, I bought a Medela Haberman feeder and he took that. But they are pricey and you have to get them from an LC, medical supply or online.

Most importantly, is it you or someone else trying? Are you around when it is offered?
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
MaeghanAlyson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I havent been around when she is given a bottle. I tried once tonight after her not eating for 6 hours. We are just going to cancel our trip this weekend and try our hardest to get her to take a bottle before I go back to school in a month.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
MaeghanAlyson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I havent been around when she is given a bottle. I tried once tonight after her not eating for 6 hours. We are just going to cancel our trip this weekend and try our hardest to get her to take a bottle before I go back to school in a month.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:03 AM   #5
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

If you're just now introducing a bottle it may be a little late. Some babies refuse the bottle once the window of about 6-8 weeks has passed. I would try to give her the boob at first so she's not starving, and then switch out the boob for the bottle. That's what worked with dd.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #6
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

have you tried using a sippy type cup instead of a bottle? my oldest absolutely refused the bottle when i went back to classes when he was six months old. he would drink out of a sippy though.

i'm going to work part time next month and i'm not even going to bother with the bottle for my soon to be six month old. i'm going straight for a sippy (that i still need to buy).
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my dd never took as much from the bottle as she did bfing.. she'd go hours she'd take enough to "survive" and when I got home she'd nurse! I know it's not the best solution but it worked for us. She won't starve while you're in class. They will eat when they're hungry. don't know if that helps or not
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried giving her a bottle or somebody else? She's used to getting fed from you, so it might be worth a shot.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
aomatsu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7s View Post
She won't starve while you're in class. They will eat when they're hungry.
We went through this when my lo was three months. I hadn't tried the bottle too much before, and she would just refuse it. I used the Baby Whisperer advice, and nursed her first thing in the am one day, then offered the bottle at her next feeding. She refused, of course, so I offered it every hour until she finally took it late that afternoon. Then we went back to regular feedings. I didn't nurse her for 72 hours, only pumped and offered a bottle, and then once I did start nursing, made sure to offer a bottle at leaset once every day. This is very hard, and makes you feel like the worst mama because your baby is hungry, but it works, and if you're going back to school, your lo needs to learn. But she won't starve, she will eat if she's hungry. HTH.
aomatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #10
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try different types of bottles. My LO wouldn't take to anything, we tried playtex, avent, breastbottles, everything, and then one day I decided to try the regular old storage bottles that came with my medela pump and he took to it with the first sip.