Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
*SweetPea83*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
just diagnosed with epilepsy, anyone have a little with this??

Jonah has just been diagnosed with Epilepsy. We were sure he was having small, very small seizures, but we weren't expecting epilepsy. Does anyone have any experience with this?? TIA

Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
snangel
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: just diagnosed with epilepsy, anyone have a little with this??

My youngest has had seizures from birth. We have tried a few different meds. We have finally found something that works. My little man was having up to 40 seizures a day before meds, and now only has a few a month. Big hugs to you, I hope you can find a way to control them.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
*SweetPea83*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

he doesn't have them on a daily basis.... all the time. But when he does it seems like it's all day. They are going to put him on depikote (sp)?? Do you know anything about the medication?? I'm researching and all i'm finding are crazy side effects. Did you ever try herbals? Thanks!
Old 04-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
snangel
Registered Users

My Mood:

we were on phenobarbital, and are now on lamotragine. I have a friends son who is on depikote. It has worked well for him, with no side effects.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hope it works out for you mama. Finding the right med is key and the right amount. I took phenobarbital as a baby and child..worked great for me. went x amount of years without seizures and without meds (b/c seemed like i'd grown out of it) then in high school they started again. I was put on dilantin from then on. When trying to have a baby we changed to Tegretal and i've been taking that ever since.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
*SweetPea83*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After research... we think he is having Atonic seizures. They are mild... and he doesn't have them on a daily basis. From what I understand, these types of seizures cause no damage, unless it's from a fall. I think we have chosen to try chiropratics first. If that doesn't help, then possible meds. Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 04-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
mommymilk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just a slight word of caution...I know that no one likes to put their kiddos on medication, especially ones that have some nasty side effects, but when it comes to the brain, you don't want to mess around. My son did have seizures, but I have also worked with kids and adults that have epilepsy. Some that were not med compliant, and wound up seizing more and more, until full blown GTC's (general tonic clonic...fish out of water). While what you see on the ouside may not seem bad, what is going on inside his brain may not be so wonderful. Any and all seizures can cause damage. Some worse than others, but you never know when he will start and stop, or if his seizures may change. Abnormal electrical activity in the brain just isn't something that I would mess with...

Just my
mommymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:31 AM   #8
*SweetPea83*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I understand where you are coming from... and it's a hard decision to make. However, after researching (extensively) and talking with our chiropractor, who is also a family friend, we have decided to at least try this before we put him on meds. Everything in your body is wired through your spinal cord, it only makes sense, that with spinal correction, it COULD... and I stress the could, because it may NOT work, could be corrected in the brain. We'll see. He will start adjustments on monday.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
rwooley
Banned
seller

My Mood:

My 15 m DD just got diagnosed last week. She has been having seizures since she was born. Its scary but we are dealing with it. She is on Keppra and hasnt had a seizure since last wed!
rwooley is offline   Reply With Quote