Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2006, 11:57 AM   #21
usandthegirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What did you do with #1 while #2 was being born?

My MIL took my DD. She lives about 35 minutes away so we took her to the hospital with us (I was in early labor-A VBAC so I went in early) and MIL met us there. It was a Sunday morning so she took her to Church, out to lunch, etc then brought her back that evening to meet her sister.

With this baby our friends (DH's cousin actually) live right down the street from us, so they will come stay with the girls while we go to the hospital until my MIL can get here. They have already agreed to be on call 24/7 around the time this little girl is due.

It works out easier than you might expect...

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2006, 12:00 PM   #22
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Are you having a homebirth?
I had a friend who had her family over while she was having her baby. They watched her 2.5 yr old while she was laboring. He (2.5 year old) watched the water birth and wanted to pet the fish (placenta). This friend is the most graceful birth giver I have ever heard of.
I know that I am a screamer , so I didn't have my 2 yr old present for the birth. My mom watched him. He was there right after and it was great to just be home as a family. Oh, I labored all night by myself. My oldest was just sleeping, so that was easy. We were only apart from my oldest for 3 hours. That worked out great for us.
So, if I were you I would just ask your inlaws to be flexible and pack a bag for baby #1 just in case. I also had a couple friends around town who I asked to be a back up.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:47 PM   #23
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom & sister watched dd #1 when I had dd #2. At that time, their house was on the way to the hospital & I was scheduled for an induction in the AM so we took dd there the night before. With #3 we had moved 2.5hrs away from my mom & my in laws just arent the kind of people who would watch kids like that even though they live in the same town the hospital is in, KWIM? So, induction again....drove the 2 older kids to my moms the night of my induction (in a snowstorm), super fast induction & baby was born a few min after my water broke (which is why we did an induction!). Mom kept my 2 older kids for 3 nights until we got home from the hospital. If we have a 4th, we will have my sister come here (if possible) or take the kids to my moms again I suppose.....we now live 2.5hrs from my mom & 2.5hrs from my in laws!
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:03 PM   #24
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Both times I was in the hospital giving birth, my older kids were with my parents. I am very blessed to have them nearby and willing to help.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:59 PM   #25
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well for our family I have always been SO lucky to have my mother and grandmother around to watch the other kids! My grandmother watched my others while my mom was there with me while I give birth, then they stay with my mom until I come home.. This time around though my grandmother is no longer able to take care of my kids so since we are having a homebirth I think my mother will just help look after the kids here. We haven't worked out the details yet.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #26
ahava'smama
Registered Users

about 10 families that do things just like us who totally love Jesus and do care for her as if she was their own daughter took care of our sweet Johanna!
Old 10-05-2006, 08:28 PM   #27
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

thanks everyone for all the responses.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:00 PM   #28
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

When I was in labor I put my parents on alert. Then when I got sick of DH's "helping" I told them both to come (so my mom could truly help me)... when it was time to go to the hospital... DH, Mom and I went, and left Bailey home with my Dad Worked out great!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:09 PM   #29
chunkymonkey'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My SIL took him the actual day I was in labor (only in labor for 3 hrs total ) and then he went to my parents house and stayed the night with them.