Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
What to do/take w/ cold/allergies while nursing?

I have looked on and it's just overwhelming- my head is stuffed up, my ears and throat hurt (but I am not coughing) - sneezing sometimes, a little snotty, etc...

my poor dd is a little snotty as well-

what can I take?

SAHM to Eloise 2/11/08 ISO: not much- maybe a cute small wetbag? cute girly medium covers?
IHA: lots of small girly HH's w/ inserts, small BG AIOs (1.0 & 2.0's), small prowrap covers. Daddy (L shirts) & Mommy clothes (medium)
daisyterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: What to do/take w/ cold/allergies while nursing?

I take benadryl for allergies. Take it right after you nurse.hth
Army wife, SAHM to Lucas who also enjoys photography, painting, and sewing.
patzgrl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
Registered Users
Formerly: chasingprisms
My Mood:

Try here for how to treat your other symptoms as well.

Mom's use of Benadryl and Chlor-Trimeton are generally regarded to be compatible with breastfeeding, but always double-check the active ingredients. Monitor your infant for possible drowsiness if you use an antihistamine. The non-sedating antihistamines (below) are generally preferred and are less likely to sedate baby.

The ingredients of Claritin, Claritin-D, Allegra, Allegra-D, Actifed (the decongestant pseudoephedrine plus triprolidine) and Seldane have been approved by the AAP for use by nursing moms. Loratadine (Claritin) has been studied and the amount of loratadine that passes into breastmilk is extremely low. Claritin-D and Allegra-D have pseudoephedrine added (which is AAP approved, but see above about possible effect on milk supply). Dr. Hale has said that he prefers the nonsedating antihistamines (even though they are long-acting) over the sedating allergy medications.

Zyrtec is also generally considered to be compatible with breastfeeding. It is commonly used by nursing moms, although its levels in milk are not known. Hale rates Zyrtec in the lactation risk catagory L2 ( safer).

Clarinex (desloratadine): Desloratadine is another name for descarboethoxyloratadine, which is the main metabolite (breakdown product) of Claritin (loratadine). Per one study (Hilbert J, Radwanski E, Affrime MB et al. Excretion of loratadine in human breast milk. J Clin Pharmacol.1988:28:234-9), 0.019% of the descarboethoxyloratadine was transferred into breastmilk. Since Claritin (and thus its active metabolites, too) is considered safe for nursing moms (it's AAP approved, in fact), Clarinex should not be a problem either.

Milk supply: A common concern is that antihistamines might lower milk supply but, per Dr. Thomas Hale, there is no current research supporting this belief. If you feel that your supply has decreased, it could simply be a byproduct of decreased nursing frequency or dehydration due to your illness.
If you feel that a medication is the cause of a sudden drop in milk supply, then stop taking (or decrease your use of) the medication - if the med is indeed the cause, then supply should increase again soon after you stop taking it. When using an antihistamine, it can be helpful to step up your fluid intake quite a bit. As with any medication, take it only as needed, and discontinue use as soon as you can.
I take the bolded on a regular basis while nursing with no problems. Saline spray also works GREAT, for both you and baby. You'll want to get two (they are cheap) to keep from spreading germs though. Drink tea, or just plain water, lemon, and honey is great for a sore throat.
Bloom where you are planted.

OnlyWomanInTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I take zyrtec and did all through pregnancy too. Great thing is that now you can buy it without an rx.
Karen Wife Of Nate Mommy Of Noah April 05 & Caleb March 08
mommyofnoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
Registered Users

I've always just taken whatever I normally would, only I don't take it unless I REALLY need it and then I usually save it for after the last feed before I went to bed. Watch not only baby when taking meds. but also watch your milk supply because some meds. will make your supply drop a little when taking anthistamines (sp?? sorry!) as they tend to dry everything up.
CHRISTmas Cards for EVERYONE!! Get them HERE and FAST!!
*I've made lots of DS mommas happy check out my Feedback!! I can do ANY custom design and work on ANY kind of pictures!!
mommy21princess is offline   Reply With Quote