Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can anyone tell me about breast shells to correct flat nipples?

Either you are an LC and you may k now about them, or you used them, etc. Anyone? My nipples are pretty flat. I have read mixed stuff about these- some say its best to teach baby to latch w/o using anything beforehand to help and some sites say that they help.

thanks!

Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
emilysvenson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can anyone tell me about breast shells to correct flat nipples?

I am not a LC, but I completed a lactation educator training and was told that breast shells were a good tool to use during pregnancy to begin to draw out the nipple.

As you probably know, breast shells are different from nipple shields, which are not recommended unless truly necessary because they can cause their own set of problems.

Most times, babies should be able to latch on fine, even for a mom with flat nipples.

Good luck!

mama to Isaac (4/04) and Flynn (10/06)
emilysvenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
Connors_Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had to use one for my right side for the first month or so...I always tried to feed him naturally first then if he couldn't latch on I would use the shield. After he nursed with the shield for a few minutes I would remoe the shield and try to latch him on without it again and it would usually work. After a month or so he did not need the shield at all anymore.

Please excuse any typos/grammar issues, I'm probably NAK
Connors_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
corey0902
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm an LC and what I would recommend is using them ahead of time. The easier you make it for your lo to latch on the better. Shells can be used for two different things so when you purchase a set you will see two sets of backings. The larger opened backing is meant for sore nipples. The smaller opened backing is meant to pull the nipple out for someone in your case. I would recommend wearing them as often as possible during the day, checking on them whenever you go to the bathroom, and make sure they are placed properly as moving around can sometimes cause them to shift. Whatever you do don't wear them at night. HTH! GL!
Old 04-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have super flat nipples and all of my babies got used to nursing without any help.

I had to use a nipple shiled with baby J for the first week because the nurses had him good and nipple confused before i even got out of recovery.
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
mondoowolfe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I usually tell people to start using them well before their due date. They definitely help a lot of people!
mondoowolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thank you. I'll order them tomorrow.

My friend had tons of issues w/ her first baby not nursing well w/ her flat nipples but her 2nd baby nursed like a champ. I 'm hoping for luck this time!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have/had inverted nipples and I never used a shield (simply because I didn't really know anything about them or where to get one), but I used a hand pump to help draw out my nipple in the beginning and that made it easy for her to latch, although we had a heck of a time in the hospital, because every time I would manually draw out the nipple, it would go back in and go soft. Not fun at all, lol. Now they are permanently out all the time.

Just another option if you don't want to do the shield
Old 04-30-2008, 12:00 AM   #9
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a pretty flat nipple on one side especially, and got the shells to use before my first baby. The LC I worked with said they're not necessary at all, babies can nurse fine on flat nipples, but if they helped my confidence getting started to go ahead and use them. It worked best to use them for about 20 minutes prior to a feeding. They did make a difference, I thought.