Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #71
Javamama's Avatar
Javamama
HAHA! Wait. What?
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: California
Posts: 8,394
My Mood:
Re: The Miley Cyrus pictures...

i don't think they are great....looks like she just got out of the shower or something.
i would not allow MY daughter to take pics like that, but that is just me!

Advertisement

__________________
mama to jlc 4 & anc 2
iso- PAYPAL!!!

Javamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:54 PM   #72
firstkid4me
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,138
Re: The Miley Cyrus pictures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mybumpy View Post
If you're posed in something designed to appear like a sheet wrapped around you, and you APPEAR to be topless under said sheet, whether it's actually a prop or a sheet is irrelevant.

The problem is, I've been sticking up for my 9 yo dd's privilege to watch Hannah Montana b/c it's just a sitcom and a cute one at that. But my whole family is nervous about it, dh included, b/c she's a teenager. Now I have to explain to my very modest, God-loving 9yo why her favorite star, who talks about God in her comments on her CD jackets, is in a magazine appearing to not have any clothes on. THAT's what's wrong with this.
Your very modest, God-loving 9 yo reads Vanity Fair? If people stopped blaming her for making a bad decision (or her parents) and started monitoring what their children were exposed to, a risque picture in Vanity Fair wouldn't cause an upset because 9 year olds wouldn't be seeing that picture!
__________________
Rebecca , dw to Kevin , mama to hammerific Emily 2/9/05 and little Lana 10/21/07
firstkid4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #73
tillers72's Avatar
tillers72
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 2,744
My Mood:
Re: The Miley Cyrus pictures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me View Post
Your very modest, God-loving 9 yo reads Vanity Fair? If people stopped blaming her for making a bad decision (or her parents) and started monitoring what their children were exposed to, a risque picture in Vanity Fair wouldn't cause an upset because 9 year olds wouldn't be seeing that picture!
exactly what i was going to say!!! like i said in my previous post, the photos are not intended for a child audience.
__________________
Chantily~wife to my soul mate and sahm to 3 lively boys! A-6 J-3 S-1, 1 min pin, Buster and 1 kitty, Bob

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #74
LovelyMum's Avatar
LovelyMum
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 1,774
My Mood:
Re: The Miley Cyrus pictures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillers72 View Post
exactly what i was going to say!!! like i said in my previous post, the photos are not intended for a child audience.
And thats the problem. Miley is a child who entertains other children. What is she doing in a grown up magazine looking liike a grown up doing grown up things?? This girl and whoever represents her ( managers, parents ect...) need to decide what type of audience they want to market to.

In this day and age a 15 year old looking like young sex on a platter does not need to be the idol of millions of young girls. And no the photos aren't art. They are provacative.

And on another thought, yes this very modest God loving young girl could see the photo's... well at least the cover if she happens to be an outlet that sells magazines.

Gorcery stores, book stores, heck, all she has to do is watch the news or go online these days!! I've seen these photos on msn.com and yahoo.com. thats how I found out about this story, we don't even wattch tv!!
__________________
... thinking of a cool siggy.

I'm swaggin now!! Come join me
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Niknak22
LovelyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:11 PM   #75
kamalamaya's Avatar
kamalamaya
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: san antonio
Posts: 161
My Mood:
Re: The Miley Cyrus pictures...

I was going to make some flippant remark about mullets and bad taste and end with how that is what you get when you depend on celebrities to teach values, or taste, for that matter, to your kids, but I got sidetracked and the thread got really long so I will just say this.....

As parents we must expect that our kids will be assailed by images and ideas that we would rather they not have to digest and understand. We can work really hard to protect them from everything we disagree with, but some will always get through. The best you can do is help your kids learn how to think for themselves and be critical consumers of what they see and hear on TV and everywhere else. If it isn't Hanna Montana looking like she just had a roll in the sack, it is the nutritiousness and popularity boosting power of sugary breakfast cereal. As for me I am actually more concerned about the breakfast cereal.

By the way, the pictures are an excellently crafted marketing move as evidenced by the hype they have created. Why is anyone surprised?
kamalamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:13 PM   #76
isabel249
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,170
Re: The Miley Cyrus pictures...

I think its a little too much for a 15 year old... just my opinion

I know I wouldn't want my daughter posing like that at 15 years of age!~
__________________
Lindsey- mom to I (5.5) and O (3.5)
isabel249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:15 PM   #77
LovelyMum's Avatar
LovelyMum
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 1,774
My Mood:
Re: The Miley Cyrus pictures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamalamaya View Post
I was going to make some flippant remark about mullets and bad taste and end with how that is what you get when you depend on celebrities to teach values, or taste, for that matter, to your kids, but I got sidetracked and the thread got really long so I will just say this.....

As parents we must expect that our kids will be assailed by images and ideas that we would rather they not have to digest and understand. We can work really hard to protect them from everything we disagree with, but some will always get through. The best you can do is help your kids learn how to think for themselves and be critical consumers of what they see and hear on TV and everywhere else. If it isn't Hanna Montana looking like she just had a roll in the sack, it is the nutritiousness and popularity boosting power of sugary breakfast cereal. As for me I am actually more concerned about the breakfast cereal.

By the way, the pictures are an excellently crafted marketing move as evidenced by the hype they have created. Why is anyone surprised?
I agree. And I'm not suprised athe hype, just suprised at the people who find it no a problem but just art or whatever along those lines. She is just a child and I'm really sad for her and the ones who follow her . thats all.....
__________________
... thinking of a cool siggy.

I'm swaggin now!! Come join me
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Niknak22
LovelyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:33 PM   #78
-Blair-'s Avatar
-Blair-
Registered Users
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Texas
Posts: 5,121
Re: The Miley Cyrus pictures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangy View Post
I do agree. I do, however, feel like the photos portray.. age.. and she's too young to pose like that!
Um...yeah. She's way too young. I was 15 not too long ago, and I can't see posing half naked as anything "positive" ....

IMO, if it was truly meant for "artistic" purposes then it would've been kept at home out of the public's eye. The end.
__________________
Blessed to lead the life I live.
I adore my husband & my kids.

Currently struggling with infertility (recurrent pregnancy loss).
-Blair- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:46 PM   #79
picklesmama's Avatar
picklesmama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Whidbey Island WA
Posts: 1,349
Re: The Miley Cyrus pictures...

I think she looks lovely and I would let my daughter pose like that. I have also posed for similar pictures when a little younger than her and was not damaged by the experience, in fact, they are a beautiful keepsake. Mine were not published but I would not have minded had they been then nor now. These are not girlie-mag style pics, they are tastefully done IMO. I think too big a deal is being made. But how brilliant of Vanity Fair, like with the Demi pregnant nude cover. Controversy sells.
__________________
Crissy ~ Mama to 5 Sproutlets ~ Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus 2.24.04 ~ Sydney 10.26.06 ~ cloth bottom cutie Kate 2.15.09


Whidbey Island CDing Families My ISO & IHA

Last edited by picklesmama; 04-30-2008 at 11:49 PM.
picklesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #80
mamaofthezoo
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: E.C, Ontario
Posts: 390
My Mood:
Re: The Miley Cyrus pictures...

I dont like them at all

Last edited by mamaofthezoo; 05-18-2008 at 11:33 PM.
mamaofthezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.