Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Registered Users

Sorry if this has been posted before, I didn't see any. I'm planing on ebf when my baby gets here, I'll also be a sahm, and my question is do I need to get a breast pump? If so which one, electric or manual, I don't want to spend a lot of money (unless it's an investment type thing). Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

meg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
ChunkiBunz Diaperz
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: questions

well i have nursed will all 3 of my boys and with my oldest one i only nursed for 6 weeks. i didnt have a good pump and i was having problems. i was young and it just didnt work. i wish i could have invested in a good pump at that time. i think it would have helped me through the tough times.

i would suggest you get a pump. i have a medela double bp. i paid $249 and i have used it with my 2yr old and im using it now. i am not a sahm but i only use it 4 days a week 1 x a day while im at school. its still well worth the money.

sometimes you might be sore and feel like you cant do it. i would suggest a good pump.

i know some mamas only nurse and dont have a pump but i know i would die without one!!!

River City Boutique is guest on The Crunchy Congo in Dec- Check out the penny auction and FFS Dolly Diapers

Check out River City Boutique -Blog & HC You can Fan me at the bottom of my HC
NWI Natural Family Living Fair 8-2010-Blog & Fan Page more info to come
ChunkiBunz Diaperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I EBF my son until 8 months. I have a hand held pump that I've used twice at most. If you aren't comfortable nursing in public you could pump. Your DH can bond with your baby in other ways so he really doens't need to feed the baby.
oh, I have a Harmony and I think it was like $30 at target. =)
Eco_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Are you planning on having a freezer stash for DH, public or if you and DH go out on a date or something? If so, a pump would be your best friend. Even if not, pumps are also handy for ensuring your supply doesn't drop, if bub gets sick and doesn't nurse as much, you can still pump to keep your supply up, once your supply starts dropping it's really hard to get it back up. I have a medela pump in style, but mainly because I have to pump daily, twice at work, to get milk for the next day. If I were just occasional using I'd probably go with something smaller like the medela swing. I'd personally spend a little more on a pump if you're going to need it for a while.
indigenist, intactivist, lactivist vegetarian supermama to Trey, 10/03 and Theo, 09/07.
IDesperateSO Personal Enlightenment and a Full Bank Account - Don't sell to me!
naivete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

I bought a Medela electric breast pump and used it at first to help with engorgement, but that was it. So in my case it wasn't worth the money and should have just bought a hand pump. I work part-time, but am able to bring dd with. I suggest a hand pump if you don't want to spend a lot of money if you want something on hand or learn how to hand express. That's all a friend of mine does.
Trisha-wife to Adam, proud to be a: mom to Breann, Brayden and Travis
one_lucky_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:44 PM   #6
Registered Users

I just used the hand pump they gave me at the hospital. DS wouldn't take a bottle, so in all honesty I really only used it about twice though. It worked and it was free.
The first month, I just rented from the hospital to help get my milk in, and get used to nursing.
In my scattered line of thought, I guess my advise is to wait to see if you really will use it, before you go out and buy one. I thought I would really need one too, and have made due with what the hospital offered.
Sarah: loving wife to Jeff, momma to Jack (3/07) and Ben (due 5/10)
slamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:56 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

I don't think you need one. If you feel like you do after the baby is born, send DH to Target to buy an Avent hand pump for $40 or so. Or you could buy it and leave it in the box and save the receipt so you can return it if you don’t use it.
I EBF DD and only used my pump to relieve my engorgement. I already had the pump because I worked outside the home with DD1.
My lactation consultants told me to get the Avent rather than the super expensive electric pumps. I used the fancy electric pumps at the hospital and seriously, I did fine with the hand pump. I pumped like a champ with DD1
Loving my three beautiful girls And my hunky hubby
Earn PAYPAL and Amazon gift cards just by searching - SWAG. SWAGBUCKS
amybabya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
Registered Users

I only *needed* to give DD pumped milk 2 days out of the entire 12 months that I nursed her. I needed to pump once due to engorgement in the first week. So I was more than pleased with the Avent hand pump that was gifted to me. I would do as a PP said, get the hand pump and keep it in the box with the receipt. If you find that you need it, you have it, if you don't, return it.
Today there is no black or white, only shades of gray.
ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote