Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
widerangebooks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Which do you like better? Lact-aid or SNS?

Hi mamas! I'm preparing for my first adoption and want to try to breastfeed. What are your opinions on the supplementing systems? Lact-aid or SNS? Which is easier for you? Which works best for baby? I'm desperate for advice from people with experience with nursing supplementers! Thanks!

Advertisement

widerangebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
sdavis514
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Which do you like better? Lact-aid or SNS?

I have used the SNS before. I don't know anything about Lact Aid though.
With the SNS, it can be a little clumsy to get settled but I think it did it's job. I prefered not to use anything to tape the tubing to the nipple. I used it with an 5 month old and he would just rip it off. I know that most people use Nexcare medical tape. The flow is good for newborns, but alittle slow for older babies. Mine had a little clip that I could attach to my bra or shirt. It says to clip it high for a faster flow and lower for a slower flow ( gravity?).

As for the tubing itself, my DS never had a problem with it. It is a pretty thin tube and I would just place it on the top of my nipple and latch on. A lot of the time, it would end up toward the corner of his mouth.

Is lact-aid the one with a bag? That might be easier that the plastic cylinder of the SNS.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have used both due to my own supply issues w/ a breast reduction. I used the SNS w/ my third and fourth and the LA w/ my fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth. I prefer the LA, but the SNS got the job done. I preferred the LA due to one tube, did not work on a gravity, less cumbersome, much easier to nurse lying down, discreet.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
wendy dinon
Registered Users
seller

I exclusively used the SNS for about two months, every feeding. But ever since getting the Lact-Aid, I've stopped using the SNS. I absolutely love the LA. The only thing is that it's hard to find good support (at least in my area) from LCs who are experienced with it. Most LCs in my area are only familiar with the SNS, and are of no help when it comes to questions about the Lact-Aid. However, that being said, the support from the women who made the Lact-Aid is amazing.

The Lact Aid is a bit more expensive to begin with, but the replacement tubing for the SNS can also get costly. I actually ordered the LA when I had called Medela to order some replacement tubing and found they'd raised the price to $9 per tube, plus $9 shipping.

If you ever need any help or advice, please feel free to PM me. I am more than happy to assist you in any way.

Good Luck!
wendy dinon is offline   Reply With Quote