Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
mamarae
Registered Users
Formerly: rgrindle

My Mood:
Encouraging potty-learning with M&Ms - encountered problem

DS has been having issues with his diapers. He no longer wants to wear them, and takes them off soon after I put them on (regardless of brand or style.) After much discussion, DH and I concluded that we could try to encourage his using the potty with stickers. Didn't work. Someone suggested M&Ms, which DS loves but rarely gets. We just started today, and DS loves this idea. The only problem is, he will sit and pee just a bit, hop up, wash up, eat an M&M, then say, "I try 'gain!" Then he will sit down, go again (just a little bit), wash up, and get another M&M. At one point today, he did this for 20 minutes straight. Is he working the system!? Am I doing this wrong? He pitched a fit when I said it was time to put a diaper on, but maybe he's not ready? Please advise.

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
RockinClothBunz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Encouraging potty-learning with M&Ms - encountered problem

haha! My ds did that. We switched to these cool mints the dentist suggested to us from the health food store. I also would tell ds when he was done going and would try again right away that we needed to wait a little longer so we could see more pee come out. I have no clue why that worked but it did.
Auntie to Trentin 5-31-09
RockinClothBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
grace_n_josie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No...I would say that he is ready! But i wouldn't let him up until he finished peeing all the way. Let him know that too. If he doesn't finish peeing, then he doesn't get the M&M. Also, don't let him up until he finishes. That is what I would do.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
keedalee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD did that for a day or two, but we were using the little mini-M&M's, so it wasn't an issue of sugar overload or anything, mostly an issue of the time it took out of our day....she got over it quick (those tiny m&m's aren't really worth it!)
Old 04-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
mamarae
Registered Users
Formerly: rgrindle

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keedalee View Post
My DD did that for a day or two, but we were using the little mini-M&M's, so it wasn't an issue of sugar overload or anything, mostly an issue of the time it took out of our day....she got over it quick (those tiny m&m's aren't really worth it!)
Yes, we're using the mini-M&Ms, too. I just kept telling myself today, "At least their the little ones!"
Old 04-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
rafrach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did the same thing but with Cadbury's mini-eggs (much tastier in my opinion!). My son would pee on the loo but refused to go near it for a poo. He had to have a diaper put back on so that he could go to his "office" (his certain space in the room) and then poo. Ridiculous I know. In the end I just suggested that, if he would just try to sit, nothing else, on his potty in his "office" he could have a mini-egg. It worked - phew, what a relief!

www.myhatty.com www.myhatty.etsy.com www.hyenacart.com/mainstreet
rafrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:44 AM   #7
Tweedlebee
Registered Users

My Mood:

The M&M's (jellybeans for us) worked great for my daughter. She never did that though- What a smart one you have!
Tweedlebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

micah did that. he would let a couple drops fall and then want his sticker. it didn't last long, he was just practicing i guess. which is good imo! i hope this works for you LO, my guys have decided they are quite happy with diapers thank you very much. even though they hate to have them changed. good luck!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

I think you're ok. soon the novelty will wear off and it will be more interesting to go play with something than practice going potty.

we too give the little mini M&M if she goes completely independently. no prompting, etc.

we bought the bag at halloween and we still have some so I think we're doing ok. We dont give at bedtime or during the night and she's fine w/that.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #10
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's pretty normal. Tharen has done that, and he still does from time to time. He will decide that he really wants more m's and go hop on the potty but he doesn't have much left in him since he just pee'd and so he'll pee three drops and I still give him the treat. It doesn't hurt anything. In the grand scheme of his lifetime him getting extra m's for a few weeks while he learns to use the potty is going to make little to no difference at all. And all that constant running to the potty even though he doesn't have to go again yet keeps his pants dry. It's good learning and they get bored eventually. They have better things to do than rush to the potty every 5 minutes for days on end. So it gets old really fast and they move on. But hopefully that constant repition of running to the potty and peeing made it click in their brain so they keep up, even when the joy of getting another m right now gets old.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote