Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:07 PM   #11
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just bought a huge piece of plastic, feeling bad

While I know what you're saying it's not like your buying it to use it as a place to 'put' your LO - your buying it as she is bored of her toys, correct?

They do have many positives when looking at development - so 15-20 minutes here and there is good for her! We too have worn Livie and such (she's now 8.5 mos old) and not crawling but sitting up well. We actually bought one and a johnny jumper (yes I know the safety issues - don't bother ) to give her some more gross motor play. We also have an issue with the floor not being a very safe place unless my little 'P' is at school (2.5 hours a day). These plastic disasters give Olivia some time to play and keep her safe out of Patrick's way.

Don't worry about it so much - I don't think you'll find much in the way of alternatives . I wish there were some other USA made, safe, non-toxic wood alternatives, but I've not found them.

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #12
shutterbugmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also believe if used properly they can be good/stimulating for babies! And keep them safe while older kids are romping, mom is cooking...

It doesn't mean you are 'less ap' or less of a 'good mom.'

I do many 'AP' things, but it is not a philosophy that I allow to run my life, or govern all of my choices as a parent, kwim?

s mamma!

Last edited by shutterbugmom; 04-30-2008 at 07:16 PM.
shutterbugmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #13
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All my kids have used/loved the exersaucer. Evan doesn't like to be in it anymore now that he can crawl, yet he crawls over to it and tries to pull up to get to those cool toys. He doesn't like to be contained. So now he only goes in the saucer if he's awake when i need to shower or when i'm cooking dinner and he needs to be kept in a safe spot.
Don't feel bad mama
Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 PM   #14
aqua_jellybean
Registered Users
seller

I would consider myself an AP too. But in saying that both my dd had, and my ds has an excauser, and a swing, in fact ds has one of each downstairs in the kitchen and in our bedroom.

My ds only has wooden and cloth toys that he can mouth, I like the idea that it is not plastic. But the swing and excauser does not go in his mouth (usually lol) and then I could always give him a toy to mouth.

Do you feel bad when you give your child tummy time? Probably not, so why feel bad that you are putting your child in an excauser. You are allowing your child to see that even if Mommy isn't holding her, that Mommy is still near. You are also giving your child the opportunity to discover w/out you being right there.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:24 PM   #15
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_jellybean View Post
I would consider myself an AP too. But in saying that both my dd had, and my ds has an excauser, and a swing, in fact ds has one of each downstairs in the kitchen and in our bedroom.

My ds only has wooden and cloth toys that he can mouth, I like the idea that it is not plastic. But the swing and excauser does not go in his mouth (usually lol) and then I could always give him a toy to mouth.

Do you feel bad when you give your child tummy time? Probably not, so why feel bad that you are putting your child in an excauser. You are allowing your child to see that even if Mommy isn't holding her, that Mommy is still near. You are also giving your child the opportunity to discover w/out you being right there.
I sort of DO feel bad giving dd tummy time! She HATES being on her tummy and unless I am right there THISCLOSE in her face playing with her and entertaining her, she cries like nobody's business. Besides, core muscles get worked out more being worn in a sling, having to compensate for mom's movements by shifting their own weight around, than tummy time. Dd does sit up well on her own but doesn't get there by herself. I have to place her. And she's not crawling yet either. She just seems discontented sitting and playing now, even with her favorite toys and mom or dad playing with her. She straightens her legs and kind of rocks forward, but ends up falling backward, so it makes me think she's wanting to stand. She will do it over and over again even though she cries when she falls back into the pillow and doesn't want to be on her back. So far she seems to like the big plastic monstrosity taking up too much room in my living room, and I did spend about two and a half hours putting it together last night, so I am loath to take it all apart again but I still am on the fence about it. I do wish there were a natural product that was similar.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #16
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had tons of stuff, a swing, a bouncer, a Bumbo, etc. My kid is happy, healthy, and perfectly fine. Parenting is what matters, not what gear you do or don't use.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #17
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://store.babycenter.com/product/...baby+walker.do

i don't see anything on wooden exersaucer type thing sbut several on wooden walkers.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #18
ce&E
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
We had tons of stuff, a swing, a bouncer, a Bumbo, etc. My kid is happy, healthy, and perfectly fine. Parenting is what matters, not what gear you do or don't use.
I agree with this and think you are being too hard on yourself. Yes it's plastic and ugly but you will use it for a short period of time when it is appropriate and then pass it on to another mom to use who won't need to buy a new piece of plastic (and won't have to put it together either, lol)
Old 05-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #19
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:

Mama, I think you're being way too hard on yourself. Being AP doesn't mean you have to constantly wear your baby or be in their reach 24/7 - it just means that you listen to your child's cues and parent based off of them. I consider myself to be AP and my DD plays by herself all the time. I was never one to wear her around the house because she liked hanging out in her bouncy seat and watching what was going on around her, or laying on the floor and checking things out from there. Of course she spent lots of time as an infant in our arms, but she was also perfectly happy on her own for parts of the day. If your DD is perfectly happy, it isn't going to hurt her to let her play in a plastic exersaucer, or under a wooden playgym, or on a blanket on the floor while you do something else. She's going to be fine and she'll still know that you're there when she needs you if you pay attention to when she's done playing independently and wants some mommy time.
cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote