Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
Monkeytaylz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
CHILD CARE PROVIDERS...ever have a child get injured??

I am a bit shook up, to be honest. I have been in licensed child care since 1993. I would consider myself to be very cautious when taking are of little ones.
Today while my dd and granddd were playing, my 2 yr old dd threw a metal bucket and hit the 3 month old baby I just starting taking care of right in the forehead! I was right there! OMG, I wanted to cry! The baby did cry. And I could see the indentation of the hit immediately. I picked her up, grabbed some ice and a cloth, her binky, and got her calmed pretty quickly.....her anyways..I was and still am shaking.
I was just going for the phone to call the mama, when dad knocked on the door...here an hour earlier than expected! And not even 5 minutes after the incident. Thank goodness!! I let him know what happened and all and he said he would have the mama call me.
She was understandably upset, questioning me about my supervision and all. She said she was going home and calling the dr. and would let me know.
So, I was very upset. I just started caring for this precious baby Monday. I was concerned if she was okay...and concerned with the fact that mama works for CPS and if she was upset enough....
Well, thank goodness, the mama called me and said baby is fine. She didn't need to see dr, and she knows accidents happen, and we agreed to keep baby safer by having floor time in a playpen instead of on the floor until she is bigger.
any other childcare providers have things like this happen?

Advertisement

Monkeytaylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
maryjane
Registered Users

Re: CHILD CARE PROVIDERS...ever have a child get injured??

I have a stone fireplace and one of the kids I watch tripped and smacked his head on it. I watched 2 year old twins. The mom understood that things sometimes happened and she wasn't upset about it. Kids get hurt all the time and I would hope that parents understand that. It would be different if it was neglect or abuse but accidents happen.
maryjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ive been doing this since 1985... So, Ive had a lot.

1. Four year old boy was lying just below the bottom step, when my 85 lb dog came galloping down the steps, and stepped right on his face. It left a deep scratch from his nose to his eye.

2. I put a baby in a carseat type carrier (from the 80s) and I set the carrier on the children's table and turned around to get her baby food jar, and another boy pushed her off the table to the floor face first. She wasn't really hurt, but it upset her terribly.

3. Most recently, a six year old girl annouced that she could cross the monkey bars (the rule was six years or first grade to try the bars) I thought that meant she KNEW how. But, she meant she was six, so now she was allowed. Sadly, she couldn't. She fell and broke her wrist. I was SOOOOO upset, and nearly panicked. To make it worse, it happened in front of the health inspector!!
Old 05-01-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
Monkeytaylz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
Ive been doing this since 1985... So, Ive had a lot.

1. Four year old boy was lying just below the bottom step, when my 85 lb dog came galloping down the steps, and stepped right on his face. It left a deep scratch from his nose to his eye.

2. I put a baby in a carseat type carrier (from the 80s) and I set the carrier on the children's table and turned around to get her baby food jar, and another boy pushed her off the table to the floor face first. She wasn't really hurt, but it upset her terribly.

3. Most recently, a six year old girl annouced that she could cross the monkey bars (the rule was six years or first grade to try the bars) I thought that meant she KNEW how. But, she meant she was six, so now she was allowed. Sadly, she couldn't. She fell and broke her wrist. I was SOOOOO upset, and nearly panicked. To make it worse, it happened in front of the health inspector!!

It just about makes your heart stop, doesn't it? I mean, with your own child, you are concerned about the child, but with someone else's child, you are concerned about the child AND the parent. After all, these are someone else's treasures we are entrusted with!
Monkeytaylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:

I don't do child care, but my lo's are with a dcp while I work, and trust me, they've BOTH been hurt. DS has had TWO black eyes (one from running in front of the swingset while someone was swinging, and got kicked in the face, the other from tripping over the cat when he was running to greet me...he hit a chair, and I was RIGHT there). My dd has been burned.

Moms SHOULD understand that it happens. They get injured at home. My dcp felt AWFUL all three times (not to mention the regular scratches/rug burn, etc) BUT, IT HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's NOT YOUR FAULT!
Old 05-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Old 05-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
Erinne
Registered Users

Wow, yeah. I couple of weeks ago, actually, I picked up a little girl who has had problems in the past with her elbows dislocating and it came out right as I picked her up! I iced it and called her mom, who came and was able to put it back and she didn't need to go to the doctor, but I felt AWFUL. Her mom seemed ok with it, since she knew it was an accident and this little girl's arms are so sensitive, but still. The only advice I have is to document anything like that well, with a copy for yourself and the parent, so that if she does come back later very upset, you can at least have your side of the story written out. But hey, accidents happen and it doesn't sound like she was hurt badly, so I'm sure everything will be fine.
Erinne is offline   Reply With Quote