Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
mia&seansmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Tongue clipping?? anyone??

DS had a speech evaluation yesterday. He passed the understanding speech portion perfectly and even scored well above his age group. but he's not speaking, and did not pass that portion (but i already knew he wouldn't). the speech therapist said his tongue is very very anchored and recommends getting it clipped asap. we have an appointment for a consultation already.

i'm just worried about it..i know it's very minor surgery, but it just makes my heart ache to think about him having to go through that.

just wondering if anyone here has been through it and has any words of wisdom. specifically if anyone has a toddler that gotten their tongue clipped. just wondering what to expect, what they do,and how long recovery was. Thanks mamas

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
lisadoni
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tongue clipping?? anyone??

My nephew went through that. His speech wasn't developing well and they determined it was probably due to his tongue. When he was an infant the doctor had mentioned it as a possibility but he advised not doing it then (she regrets that now). He did really well with the surgery and then progressed quickly through his speech therapy.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
j9_shooter9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is very simple and there isn't even hardly any bleeding. It goes really fast. The hardest part is holding them still, but seriously mama, it's worth it. It doesn't take long. Then it will be much better for him too. I had to go thorugh this with my oldest son, though we decided to do it before he got older as our Ped said it would probably get in the way of speech.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
discodiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my son had it done when he was 6 and it helped some of his speech problems, it didn't take long at all like less then 2 minutes to actually do and they gave him a coupon for a free ice cream I think he was totally fine the next day and no bleeding from what I remember
Old 05-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No experience with a toddler, but with a one week old. We were told by the lactation consultant at our hospital to get his tongue clipped and we did. Best thing we did. If I had listened to our previous ped, and not got it clipped, we would had to use formula and not breastfeed. He would have had speech problems too.

Hope it all works out for you.
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
bryvaeh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD had it done at about 15 months and you would never know it now. She was actually fine the next day - the worst part for me was they wouldn't let me in with her She was fine though and it was very quick and easy and makes a world of difference!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do it now. The later and older they get the more involved the surgery gets. We had a second grader that had the surgery and poor guy was not only having speech problems, but because his tongue was so "tied" he couldn't push food around with his tongue in his mouth.

This caused huge choking issues and his teeth were all half rotten.

He is a fourth grader now and doing SUPER well!!!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
mia&seansmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

thanks girls... i did mention it to our old Ped in Cali when he was a baby. He said if he's eating fine (and he was...he was a breastfeeding champ from minute 1!! ) then there was no need to worry...i wish i would have gotten a 2nd opinion.

we have the consult on the 20th. i guess we'll see what happens from there.

he does have major issues with textures and food. the therapist yesterday said it's probably instinct...his body knows he can't get food off of the rooof of his mouth, so he instinctively avoids food that could get stuck up there.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #9
bjaneen
Banned

My Mood:

I am a firm believer in not clipping unless there's a problem- most times it stretches on its own so don't beat yourself up about not having it done before!

My DH and DD are tongue tied and both have stretched. DS however, had 2 issues- moderate hearing loss and tongue tie. We opted to have his tongue clipped while he was under for his ear surgery. I never noticed an issue with his recovery as far as his tongue goes. He took a binkie right away, ate fine, etc. His speech improved dramatically immediately- I mean, within 24 hrs.
bjaneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD#2 had no problems BF'ing (had to stop cause she was allergic to something in my milk, but had no problems with latching or anything). She was completely tongue tied, the doc said I could wait and see if it effects her speech or do it now when she was young and easier. She was 3 days old and we had it clipped. She's been talking better than my (now) 4.5 year old since she was 18 months! I'm glad we did it and did not wait untill now and have to wrestle with her over it. GL mama!