Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
passthepickles
Registered Users
Formerly: shannbannan
seller

My Mood:
So... breastmilk...

It "comes in?"

I started leaking when I was preggo with DS at about 18 weeks. I never got huge painful swollen breasts when he was born because they were huge and swollen WAY before that. Does everyone feel it? Could my milk have come in before he was actually born?

I am 26 weeks along right now and I just started leaking. Eh... at least I know the plumbing works. Hehehe!

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
Delaney
Registered Users
seller

Re: So... breastmilk...

For me the "coming in" part has been less noticeable with each pregnancy. Not as swollen and painful as they go on.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With DS1, I never leaked while pregnant. But if I squeezed, I could express some colostrum. When he was a couple of days old, there was a very clear point where my milk "came in" and I was hugely engorged. I looked like a **** star. There was no way to have missed it

With DS2, started the same. No leaking while pregnant, but could express something. And I never got engorged, I think because he nursed a LOT, so there was never the opportunity to get engorged. But when he was a couple of days old, I started noticing white milk in his mouth and when I expressed some, it was very clearly milk.

So yes, basically the hormones released after you deliver trigger your body to switch over to making mature milk. That coupled with your baby nursing cause the switchover.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

i didnt notice mine come in either, i never got engorged,and i didnt leak at all while i was pregnant. my milk came in somewhere between days 5 and 7, the only reason i know is becasue ds was born on monday, we took him to the doc on friday, and he had lost over a pound, we came back on monday for a weight check and he was up almost 6 oz, lol

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:

I leaked a lot with my first pregnancy. The girls were HUGE (still are ) but not sore. I didn't leak nearly at all with dd, and when I did, it was near the end!

Get some breast pads, sounds like you're in for a long haul!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
passthepickles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanner03 View Post
I leaked a lot with my first pregnancy. The girls were HUGE (still are ) but not sore. I didn't leak nearly at all with dd, and when I did, it was near the end!

Get some breast pads, sounds like you're in for a long haul!
It's not so bad this time around because I am using cloth pads and they aren't so uncomfortable. With my son I used disposables and YUCK!

So- here is another question then. If I decided I *wanted* to start pumping (just hypothetically- I don't think I really want to) I could start right now and I would get milk in a little while, or would I just always get colostrum until my hormones changed to allow for actual milk?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannbannan View Post
It's not so bad this time around because I am using cloth pads and they aren't so uncomfortable. With my son I used disposables and YUCK!

So- here is another question then. If I decided I *wanted* to start pumping (just hypothetically- I don't think I really want to) I could start right now and I would get milk in a little while, or would I just always get colostrum until my hormones changed to allow for actual milk?
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't recommend it now. Pumping can stimulate uterine contractions, and you don't need those yet!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
passthepickles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanner03 View Post
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't recommend it now. Pumping can stimulate uterine contractions, and you don't need those yet!

Oh yeah. True.

I don't even have a pump yet- I was just curious how that worked. I really have no reason to pump right now, other than if I were to donate the milk. I just wanted to know.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #9
shadowdweller
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannbannan View Post
Oh yeah. True.

I don't even have a pump yet- I was just curious how that worked. I really have no reason to pump right now, other than if I were to donate the milk. I just wanted to know.
well, so you know , it would not change over to milk until the baby is born. i'm preggo and nursing a 2yo... i only have colostrum now. i'm 27 weeks.