Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff
My Mood:
Need autism help

I hope this isn't insensitive to ask, but what do I tell my kids when they see an autistic child misbehave? Last summer a boy was kicking sand in my girls' faces at the playground and I wanted to explain it the most compassionate way possible. I guess this could go for any sn child.

Married fifteen years to a great man; SAHMama to four no longer in diapers but DS is still home to me.
"When you know better, you do better." -Maya Angelou

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:44 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Need autism help

Within our household we have a wide range of acceptable behaviors. It's really hard for kids to understand why one child is/can behave one way while s/he isn't supposed to. We simply explain it like this "S/He is working on that behavior, so right now we need to except/love him/her the way she is. Is there a way YOU can show him/her how to behave?"

It is really hard! Good luck, mama!
Meaghan, mama to 4 and WAHM behind PNPBaby Diapers, admin @ Avant Garde Congo for PNW Handcrafters! OR
Primm_n_Proper_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
Registered Users

I do exactly that. I also encourage my children in the idea that they cannot control someone's actions, but they can control their RESPONSE to those actions. If they don't like something, they are more than welcome to step away.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

When Kearnan was small and would act out (and at the time that happened more often than not, and it was often loud and violent) we told his best friend that Kearnan's body and mind worked just a little differently and sometimes things were just too much for him and he would behave in not so nice ways. That if he did she could come and get us and we would handle it but that it didn't mean that he loved her any less or that he didn't want to be her friend any more. She and her older brother both took it very well and became very protective of him, they got to where they could tell if a situation was too much and could key it down or draw him into something else. It was really good for him, and for them as well I think.

I believe Lacey (MYAJDW) told her boys one time that Kearnan sees the world differently and acts differently so they would just have to deal with it differently. That worked out pretty well too, they are all a bit older and didn't need so much explanation.
ShannonInk'd, Atheist, Liberal, Part Time Large Equipment Mechanic, HS-ing, Mum to ASD Ninja Kearnan (8-4-01) & Derby Boy Tharen (12-1-05)
Always remembering Arawyn Born Silently (12-21-03)
Crocheted longies/shorties, toys and more see samples Arawyn's Garden Crochet
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:28 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

Yes, I agree with pp above about what they say. When my dd is having a meltdown, I explain simply to other kids that make comments or other parents that she is overstimulated and needs to time to calm down.
HS mom to 4 kiddos- dd-12, dd-9, dd-6 (autism spectrum) and ds-4
allycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

My 8 yr old son gets upset at our 2 yr old w/ autism. I just sit him down & tell him that she is a special person who needs special attention-even from her brother. And how frustrated she must feel that she can not communicate like others and how we need to set a good example for her, love her, accept her, feel compassion for her, & understand that she can't help a lot of the things she does. Then I remind him how blessed he is to not have to struggle in the way she does & will. I also let him know I feel frustrated w/ her sometimes myself & his feelings are OK, but we need to pull together as a family.
Wife to Dalyn, Mommy to Kaleigh(14), Lane(11) , Karis(5) & Avery(3)
Wanna be my swagbucks friend!
amber918 is offline   Reply With Quote