Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #21
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any problems with Charlie's Soap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensmommy View Post
What I have just read here infuriates me!!! Why in the world is there no label or warning on the packaging? My twin girls are upstairs asleep right now, both with totally blistered bottoms

I was coming on here to ask if I could just wash their clothing with hot water b/c I could not take the rashes anymore! Thank goodness I ran into this thread, now I know what the problem is. If I had known that there was even a remote possibility of my daughters getting any type of reaction from this product, I NEVER would have even taken the chance. I know that my girls have sensitive skin, I was trying to find something simple and good for them, not something that would give chemical burns!!!

poor little ones. I hope that a new detergent clears it up very soon for you.

Advertisement

Old 05-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #22
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will NEVER use Charlies on any diapers EVER AGAIN. I washed Claire's dipes w/ it, after 1 dipe, she was a bit red, after the second, she had huge red welts!!! Some of those welts ended up opening up to be horrible weeping sores. It was terrible, I felt so terrible for doing this to her! I immediately stripped all her dipes in boiling water and then rewashed in my old detergent and she didn't get any more welts. Then I found out that many other poor babies had gone through the same thing. IMO, it has *nothing* to do w/ not getting the bacteria out, not using enough, blah blah blah. If Charlie's can't get the bacteria out such that it causes such a severe rash, then why use it if it can't clean??? I've used about 6 other detergents over the last 3+ years of cd'ing and none of the other detergents did that (even the ones that left the dipes smelling poopy - thus there must be bacteria in the dipes - didn't leave a horrible rash like Charlie's). Never again.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #23
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mamas.

Just FTR< i just got a call and another mama is having chemical issues with it. She read this thread and called me.
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #24
heather_lynn68
Registered Users

My Mood:

I tried it a few years back and it gave my dd a bad rash too
Old 05-07-2008, 11:23 AM   #25
MaeghanAlyson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've only used charlies soap and have never had a problem. I also put a cup of water softener and and pure oxygen cleaner in with the charlies soap. I also do 2 extra rinses.
MaeghanAlyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #26
lunarain25
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use Charlie's with no problems whatsoever. My little guy has a sensitive tush and he has broken out with other mainstream detergents - tide, all, purex, cheer, gain etc. We have a simple wash routine (one cold wash, one hot wash + one scoop Charlie's + one extra rinse). and we've never had any stink nor have I ever had to strip diapers. We use it for all of our laundry. I too have super sensitive skin and it works like a gem.
lunarain25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #27
soulsweep
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

okay, so what SHOULD i be using? Country Save? Allens? anyone?
soulsweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:49 PM   #28
owensmommy
Registered Users
seller

Well, I called Charlie's and spoke with the man himself, Charlie. Here is what he had to say. Their soap does not kill bacteria, so you have to use chlorine bleach w your laundry if you choose to use their soap. If you prefer not to use chlorine bleach, you can use hydrogen peroxide, but it is not as effective. I do not know why this is not printed on the label somewhere? He said this information is available on the website, I suggested it may be helpful to have this informatioin printed on the label. He agreed to refund my $ and we will use a different brand of detergent for our laundry from now on.

WARNING - personal info below I am only telling this because I hope to help somebody who may be having similar issues and has not yet pieced the puzzle together.
After speaking w Charlie, I started thinking about the past few weeks around here. We began using the soap about 3 weeks ago & have seen many problems in that time. I can not say that I am 100% certain that these things are due to using Charlie's soap, but I suspect that Charlie's is the culprit. I have washed all of our laundry in ONLY this soap for the past 3 weeks or so. I have added nothing else to the wash or the dryer. Since we began using Charlie's soap, I have gotten very itchy "down there". I thought I was getting a yeast infection & treated for one, not effective, still itchy. I have also had several lumps (6 total) on my labia, one of which got very infected & required antibiotics. I am finishing the 10 day course today.

My son (in underwear) has been trying to get back into a diaper for about 2 weeks now. He kept telling me his underwear hurt. I thought he was trying to regress, he just recently PL'd. He came to me early yesterday and told me his "bing bing hurt really bad". He has told me this several times over the past two days. Needless to say, all of the kids are naked & my next few days will be spent doing much laundry

As I said, I am not certain that this is due to the Charlie's soap, but it is odd that we have had all of these problems only since starting to use Charlie's.

ETA: I changed my clothing & my sons clothing to undergarments that had not yet been washed in Charlie's soap, within approx 1 hour, my itching had stopped, it is gone!! My son took his afternoon nap & upon waking, I asked him if his "bing bing" still hurt & he said "no, mommy."

Last edited by owensmommy; 05-07-2008 at 05:38 PM.
owensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #29
soulsweep
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensmommy View Post
What I have just read here infuriates me!!! Why in the world is there no label or warning on the packaging? My twin girls are upstairs asleep right now, both with totally blistered bottoms

I was coming on here to ask if I could just wash their clothing with hot water b/c I could not take the rashes anymore! Thank goodness I ran into this thread, now I know what the problem is. If I had known that there was even a remote possibility of my daughters getting any type of reaction from this product, I NEVER would have even taken the chance. I know that my girls have sensitive skin, I was trying to find something simple and good for them, not something that would give chemical burns!!!
If I had enough gas money I would go march around their headquarters! I feel like a fool for not doing my research. My child has dark scars on his butt, I hope it doesn't ruin his chance to be an underwear model, then I'll have to sue!

I just ordered some Soap Nuts... we'll see (I had no problems with Purex free and clear but decided to go greener with Charlie's soap)
soulsweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #30
empress_embellishments
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, now that ds is finally down for his nap.....let me put in my 2 cents worth....

We love love love our Charlie's Soap. When I switched to Charlie's I was so sick of the laundry problems we were having with CD'ing I was ready to give it up all together and Charlie's made all the difference for us.

We have very very soft water here and everything suds and suds. I was using Allen's and either I didn't get enough in to get the dipes clean or else there was too much and it made so much suds that I have to keep rinsing and rinsing to get it all out. So I tried Tide, got my dipes mostly clean but I kept having to strip the dipes. Then I tried several other brands....Purex, Windfresh, Sun....same problems.....

I was going to try CountrySave, but tried Charlie's instead. Here is what I found out from using it though....if I put too many dipes in the load then I need more Charlie's and I need to rinse more.

If I need more than one scoop of Charlie's to clean then I need to rinse more or else ds gets a rash....not a serious rash like I have heard others report but just little bumps, then I know I have to rinse the diapers again.

I never have to strip my diapers, I almost never have stains and my diapers come out clean on the first try. I use it for all of our clothes now and we don't have any problems, but again, I do have to make sure that I don't overfill the washer or else my clothes in general don't come out clean, but I would think that would be an issue with any laundry detergent.

I use nothing but Charlie's and dryer balls in the dryer. If ds is sick and I want to make sure the dipes are extra clean and no bacteria left in the dipes...just as an extra precautionary step, I add oxiclean to the dipes wash with the Charlie's and an extra rinse.

Hope that helps someone.....although I am certain I would feel the same as the other mom's if it were my child who had been burned.