Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
trainupachild
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How to ec a newborn?

I never knew about ec with DS. With 10 week old DD, she has a BM about every other a.m. when she wakes up. It's everywhere and I wait for her to finish and then bath her. She's ebf so u can imagine the mess. Anyway, I thought it would be just as well to hold her ove the potty and let her go. I have no idea how to go about it. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

trainupachild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
goldmama22
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to ec a newborn?

Just try it! Next time it's her "time", just sit next to the potty and sit her on it and wait and see. Then when she goes, make a cue noise. (My cues were always just the words for what they were doing, so I'd say "Poo-poo!" when she pooped.) Smile big and make your voice sound happy. Then when I'd wipe her up, I'd still sound happy and excited, like "Yay, you pooped on the potty! Let's get you clean now! What a big girl!" stuff like that. They want to please us even that young, so the positive reinforcement helps, and of course it's good for their ego, lol.

Let us know how it goes!

Megan
goldmama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
trainupachild
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmama22 View Post
Just try it! Next time it's her "time", just sit next to the potty and sit her on it and wait and see. Then when she goes, make a cue noise. (My cues were always just the words for what they were doing, so I'd say "Poo-poo!" when she pooped.) Smile big and make your voice sound happy. Then when I'd wipe her up, I'd still sound happy and excited, like "Yay, you pooped on the potty! Let's get you clean now! What a big girl!" stuff like that. They want to please us even that young, so the positive reinforcement helps, and of course it's good for their ego, lol.

Let us know how it goes!

Megan
Okay, this sounds stupid, but how exactly do I hold her over it?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
goldmama22
Registered Users
seller

If it's a child's potty just sit her on it and hold her steady so she doesn't fall. If it's a toilet, what I always did was to sit down on it and put her in front of me, between my legs, with her legs over the front, my legs supporting her hips and lower back (her butt below my legs obviously so that she wouldn't poop on me) and my hands under her armpits. So basically she's in the same position as anybody using the toilet, but you're giving her lots of support with your hands, legs, and the toilet seat combined. I hope I'm making sense... hard to tell with pg brain.

Megan
goldmama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
Beanie's Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi, I was just wondering if you tried holding your nb over the potty - and how it was going? I'm thinking of starting w/ my 7wk old....but am not sure how consistant I'll be w/ a 21 month old wanting my attention too....
Old 05-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
trainupachild
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried it once and she cried...don't really know how to hold her right. So, I didn't try again. She pooped all over my bed the past two mornings when she woke up...so much I had to clean the mattress. So, I'm going to try it again tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 05-08-2008, 12:53 AM   #7
sthullen
Registered Users

My Mood:

Don't be discouraged is she cries and fusses the first few times on the potty. Mine did as well (we started at about 2-3 weeks old) and now she loves it (shes 4.5 months), has done for a long while. Just let her get used to it!
sthullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:06 AM   #8
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this is how I held Skye as a newborn...I often ran the water as I held her...running water usually makes her go...I still hold her like this at 12 months and also when we are outdoors and she really has to go...and also I hold her like this over the potty...this is not my child, just found this video on youtube and thought it would help you see the hold on a newborn...