Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
Registered Users
Question one step forward two steps back

Hello everyone. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to start trying EC with my six month old boy. I offered him the toilet before and after naps and after nursing. I held him over the toilet and said "ssss." Nothing happened the first day or two, but by the third day I was catching multiple pees per day. He did it with my husband as well, and he woke up dry from several naps. But, for the last three or four days he hasn't gone a single time when we've cued him. Sometimes he appears to be "trying" when we hold him over the toilet. On other occasions, he begins to fuss. I don't think we've put any pressure on him. If he goes, we say, "You went pee pee!" When he doesn't go, we say, "That's okay; you didn't have to go." I've tried offering the toilet at more frequent intervals, but I find that he's often peed in between, even it's only been half an hour since the last try--almost as if he's waiting until he has the diaper back on to go. I haven't really noticed any signs that he has to pee or is peeing, so it's hard for me to know when to offer the toilet. I can usually tell when he's pooping, but that's rather infrequently, so I haven't been working on that. Any ideas? Thanks!

clothina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: one step forward two steps back

Sounds like you are doing well! Just keep up at it, all you can do is offer the can't make them go! My only suggestion is to leave the diaper off for a short time and see what happens when he son starts to squirm right before he has to go and then he makes a slight straining noise as he's going. I didn't notice it, probably cause it was too cold when I started with him back in February, but now I notice he does get a slight erection when he has to go. When I take off his diaper and I see that, I know to get him on the potty ASAP! For me, it's alot of timing...and just "knowing" he has to go. My son, at 13 weeks has to go about 10-15 minutes after nursing, then about two more times spaces about 20 minutes apart. After that, he's good until he nurses again. But sometimes he can hold it for over 2 hours at a time...which happened today. I nursed him just before my daughter's art class and then drove home two hours later and when we got home, I nursed him again and THEN he me, that was a big pee

It's helped just to get to know his pattern. But, like I said, if he know what he does as he's peeing even if he has his diaper still on, you'll know when he goes and maybe start to see a pattern. Some little ones get really quiet, stop what they are doing when the go...just look and listen to'll get it!
Olivia ... Mommy to Natalie 12/31/05 and Garrett 2/04/08

Polliwogs Recycled Wool Slippers
ocanfield is offline   Reply With Quote