Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Acne Help?

Im not sure if this is the right forum for this thread, but Im asking anyway
My oldest teen has acne, not bad, more mild. But he uses Noxema and sometimes Oxy. I really would like something not so harsh and more natural. And I have a feeling these are tested on animals and Im really trying to get away from buying those products....So, any ideas on other options?

Vicki Wife to Jim 22 yrs, Mom to:
Caleb 21, Shaymus 19, Alexander 17, Kallista 15, Gillian 9, Ryan 7
Passelofkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Acne Help?

tea tree oil, straight up on a Q-tip. put it on at night and wash face in the morning. Just a tiny bit will take care of it.

he can also try a raw honey mask if his skin gets dry. it's really soothing and healing.
sewing mama to my amazing survivor andrew, and daniel who loves his big brother most of all

Last edited by thrillhouse; 05-09-2008 at 01:06 PM.
thrillhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

Noxema is not good for acne, according to all the dermatologists I've been to at least. I've battled with acne since I was 11 and I'm now almost 30 and have finally found relief. Here is what I do (this will sound totally crazy), I wash it only in the evening with baking soda, just baking soda. I sprinkle a little into my hand, drip a bit of water on it to make it into a paste and then gentle rub it onto my face. I rinse that off with warm water. This alone worked great for me.
I just started rubbing a dab of castor oil mixed with a very small amount of olive oil into my skin and laying a warm wet towel over my face for a few minutes. Wipe that of with warm water. I do this 1-2 times a week and just love how it makes my skin feel.

I was very skeptical about using this method at first, but I was willing to try anything. Stripping the skin of oil 2 times a day only makes your skin want to produce more oil to make up for it.

Melanie, Air Force wife, mom to Alex 9/00, Aidan 9/02 and Asa 10/06.
Handspun yarns, hand-dyed bamboo, wool and cotton and roving here.
My knitting blog.

Last edited by adorabubbleknits; 05-09-2008 at 01:33 PM.
adorabubbleknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:14 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I found that Ivory soap helps a lot.. and also that mud masks from the Dead sea assist me greatly.

If I have a bout of dry skin (usually during winter), I only use olive oil on my skin. Something in the chemical makeup agrees with the PH balance and all that "guru" stuff.

I haven't had any trouble with these.

Tea Tree oil dries me out 'too much' sometimes, and same with salycilic acid (whether it's just crushed aspirin with a little water or not)...

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote