Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
*Eva*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Speech Apraxia???

Has anyones DC on here been diagnosed w/ Speech Apraxia. He was severely tongue tied and that has since been fixed but his speech while clearer, is just not getting any easier. We have an appt. on Monday w/ his pedi to get a script to see a Speech Pathologist, but I am almost 100% sure this is what he has from all the reading I've done on it. Basically could you guys just tell me what you've had to do, how much speech therapy, how much improvement you've seen, etc. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
bfuzzy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Speech Apraxia???

Hi My 2.5 has been diagnoised with apraxia. He has been in speech therapy for 7mths now. He wasnt speaking more than 8-10 words at almost 2. Speech therapy has helped alot. He has come along way. He can say alot of words (sometimes they dont sound right) but he doesnt combined more than 2 words at a time. My ds has sensory intergration disorder (he has poor gross motor planning) which effects his speech as well.

ETA: He has speech once a week. We use alot of picture word books and flash cards to help.

Last edited by bfuzzy2; 03-24-2008 at 06:52 PM.
bfuzzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
catiesmommytoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son was diagnosed with it--he had weekly speech therapy for almost six years--he's now 12 and fairly fluent but still has moments where he has a difficult time, speaking in front of his class for example--he does okay if he can practice although he will probably never choose a career that involves public speaking--but has a more difficult time when he has to be spontaneous. Apraxia is a lifelong issue--it can't be completely cured--but my son has done very well with all the tools that have been taught him and you really wouldn't know he had any problems unless you knew him really well--he's as well spoken as most of his peers and better spoken than some. Remember that apraxia is not a disorder of understanding--it is a disorder of communicating, if you understand what I mean--we read and read and read, from baby stage on--my son has great comprehension and a huge vocabulary--he always had--the challenge was for him to share verbally what was clear in his head.
Soon to be grandma to Rory , due 2-14-14

Last edited by catiesmommytoo; 03-24-2008 at 07:18 PM.
catiesmommytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
*Eva*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by catiesmommytoo View Post
My son was diagnosed with it--he had weekly speech therapy for almost six years--he's now 12 and fairly fluent but still has moments where he has a difficult time, speaking in front of his class for example--he does okay if he can practice although he will probably never choose a career that involves public speaking--but has a more difficult time when he has to be spontaneous. Apraxia is a lifelong issue--it can't be completely cured--but my son has done very well with all the tools that have been taught him and you really wouldn't know he had any problems unless you knew him really well--he's as well spoken as most of his peers and better spoken than some. Remember that apraxia is not a disorder of understanding--it is a disorder of communicating, if you understand what I mean--we read and read and read, from baby stage on--my son has great comprehension and a huge vocabulary--he always had--the challenge was for him to share verbally what was clear in his head.
I get exactly what you're saying. He tries to get things out but its just seems like he can't form the words. He understands everything I say to him without a problem and his vocabulary would be great if he could just say the words.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #5
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

In the land of special education - speech disorders/articulation are the most graduated areas. This is simply when kids can't articulate the sounds and get them out the correct way. Like everything with kids - speech sounds are developmental (for instance the "R" sound really isn't considered an issue for therapy until second of third grade - it is still within developmental norms). But sounds like "K, and J" should be gotten before kids hit kindergarten. Articulation disorders are worked on with a therapist who teaches them how to do the mouth motor activity to say the words correctly. They basically have to train their mouths.

This kind of therapy if done early (like early intervention programs) has a great graduating rate. Lots of times kids don't even need speech at school age if they have had the early help. Which is so cool!!!

Communication disorders (language) are when the issue isn't that the kids can't come up with the correct sounds it is that they can't find the actual words. This is much more intense and difficult therapy. This is a lifelong kind of condition. It is kind of like not being a great reader. You can practice and get better, learn strategies to cope, but it usually still isn't your strongest, best area. Something about the brain just makes this area of life harder than it is for other people. The language disorder can be in expressive or receptive language or both.

Even though school age - as long as your child needs it they can get services - whether they are in public school, private school, or homeschool. Your tax money supports and provides these services.

So again - The key to all of these is early diagnosis and intervention. Good job for notices and for the pedi. for acting on it. Nothing is more sad than seeing a 5 year old come to kindergarten that doesn't speak and has had no therapy.

Last edited by fish3737; 04-02-2008 at 05:12 PM.
fish3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:43 AM   #6
mommymilk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son was severely tongue tied, and it took 2 years to get him to a point where he could be understood 75% of the time. I of course could generally understand him, but no one else could. What we found with our son is that because of the tongue tie, he had VERY limited movement of his tongue, could not stick it out, put it to the roof of his mouth, lick his lips, nothing. Everyone I ever spoke with before it was released said it was due to his stroke. Nope! It took about a year to get the movement on his tongue, then another year to learn the basic sounds again. We took him out of speech, per his request, when he turned 5. My husband was dead set against it, but after 5 years of OT, PT, and ST, this kid had some so far and I wanted to give him a little break. We work on a lot at home. I am sure that when he starts kindergarten in the fall, he will get services again through the school system.
mommymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
mhr1406
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds is 7 and he was diagnosed with apraxia at 20months.
He started speech therapy at that time and had ST once a week for 5 years, OT still ongoing and PT for 3 years. There are other things involving apraxia other than just his speach that has affected him as well. He also has struggles with fine motor skills and is now in special reading and occupational therapy at school. He is no longer in speach therapy or physical therapy on a regular basis but our ST and PT touch base with us to check on him once a month

He has greatly improved and others can understand him. But he does have some struggles ahead of him still.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
threelilpinkmonkeys
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS has the Apraxia/dyspraxia as well. I don't remember when he was diagnosed, though. I can tell you that it does get better. Anyone do sign for the LO early on?
threelilpinkmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote