Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
StaceyM
Registered Users

Relactating??

Before I came here I had never even heard of this. I'm just wondering..how long after weaning can you relactate? With DS I didn't BF at all because of some serious emotional scars I had going on (please, no bashing.) He now has alot of respiratory issues and is in testing for CF. I can't help but wonder if BM would help. Is it even possible this far out (he's 1). Is it realistic? AM I REDICULOUS?????

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
Mommy2Austin
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Relactating??

Nope not ridiculous at all. It'll be a hard process (or so Im being told =) ) but its possible
Mommy2Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

Women who have NEVER breastfed or had children before can lactate, so yes you can too. It is, of course, up to you whether you want to make the effort or not. Check out the pp post in this forum, there's good advice and good forums to find. Also try googling relactating and the like, you'll get good info.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:23 PM   #4
somersocial
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have no info - but good luck to you!

ETA - You are not rediculous!

Last edited by somersocial; 10-10-2006 at 03:24 PM.
somersocial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

not ridiculous! did you bf your little girl any? your breasts know how to make milk, especially if you did bf her, and youve already had it triggered before, so it would be a LOT easier then someone who never tried before. theres lots of good info here, try la leche league, and see if theres one in your area, to go to a meeting. there are a few good milk bringing in teas ( i used earth mama angel baby for the heck f it one day because i had it anyway, my son was about 2 months old and my milk supply was fine, but ummm..WOW lol!! id go with that as a first choice for helping if i needed it for sure! )
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #6
StaceyM
Registered Users

[QUOTE=*~Mindy~*;356297] did you bf your little girl any? [QUOTE]

I BF'd her for 6 weeks..got double mastitis and almost lost part of my breast. The meds they gave me dried me up and I didn't know anything to try and fight it.

I don't know if this is realistic at all...I mean the whole "as long as you've been weaned to get it back" thing seems daunting. If I would have to try for a year to get it back (putting DS at 2) would it even be worth it?
Old 10-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just want to say goodluck to you mama!

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:43 AM   #8
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I weaned DS 7 months ago and still "leak" from time to time at night. It's not real milk, more of the colostrum type, but I'm told that any type of stimulation will increase it to milk. It will take time to build a supply back up, but it is entirely possible! Do you have a pump? Because that can help you boost your supply as you try to relactate. Good luck to you and congrats to you for doing what you feel is best for you and your DS!! (And I don't think it would take a full year if you are persistent. A few weeks or months maybe.)
Old 10-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely think it is worth it! Even if you never get a full supply, every bit of bm you can give him is better than formula. My breasts just don't make enough milk, regardless of what meds/herbs ect. that I've tried. But I have come to peace with the fact that my son is getting a lot more bm than most babies, even if he does have to have formula sometimes.

Another thing that my ped told me that might help you is to think of it like this...if the average fully bfing mom has say, 1 oz of "good stuff" (antibodies and such) for every 8 or 9 oz of bm (not real numbers nes. but just for example), then if my son is only getting 2 oz of bm from me, it's like, super-charged, because it still has the same number of antibodies, only in a smaller amount. So my bm is like, 1/2 and 1/2 in that example.

Good luck mama!
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote