Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-11-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
My Mood:
Dipe Laundry Questions

I just got some used bumkins from another mama here, I am the third owner and they are very loved but I see no reason that they wouldn't still work for dd. I washed them last night, cold prewash cycle first, then hot wash w/ 1/2 scoop Allen's & 1/2 scoop baby oxy (trying to brighten) and cold rinse. I tumble dried them. DD wore one overnight (I put in a microfiber insert under the cotton croch flap) and it did just fine. This morning I put on another, once again with the microfiber insert (the cotton panels look kinda thin to be very absorbant, but I am new to CD so maybe it doesn't need to be thick). I took her to a dr appt and noticed when I got her into the office that she was moist around her thighs. I put another one on her, without the insert and by the time we got home she had moist thighs again. She isn't a chubby-thighed baby by any means, but also not tiny. The diapers are quite faded and have stains and I was thinking maybe they need to be stripped? This is my first time using bumkins and I was wondering if the thing thing was common or if the diapers just needed some TLC. I also need to know how to strip them. And, my other dipes are fuzzi bunz, can I wash them together? When I got the FBs they said don't wash w/cotton products but I would hate to do two loads if it wasn't nessary. My FBs also seemed to have lost their buttery soft feel, is this normal? I try to only hang dry them but sometimes I need another dipe ASAP so I will throw one or two in the dryer and my dryer doesn't have heat settings, only high, will this damange the dipes or is ok every once in a while? I can't really afford lots of dipes and want to avoid disposies alltogether so I have to wash kinda frequently. Any suggestions?

oh yeah, dd is 8.5 months old, about 17- 17 1/2 lbs & 27" long.

SAHM to James (5 yrs) & Alice (3.5 yrs)
0*1*2*3 4

Last edited by lilmama2dsndd; 05-11-2006 at 04:38 PM.
lilmama2dsndd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Dipe Laundry Questions

I am pretty new to cding but I believe when it gets wet or leaks around the thigh area more absorbancy is needed - whatever you are using for your insert is not enough - I use hemp inserts during the day and prefolds ay night because I was having that problem. I wash all my dipes together, most of the time I hang dry but I have dried them on low. I have heard that the softness of the FB wears with time, mine have not yet but I do know that they can lose their softness.
mom to DD 10, DS & DD 3, DS 1 3 in
Sarah2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Dipe Laundry Questions

With bumkins over time i have had them stop working. I believe they are designed to be used for about a year or so befor the waterproof lamination wears off. I actually cut one open after 6-7 months of use, ( after it started wicking really bad) and found a ton of tiny balls in teh diaper of what used to be the waterproof part. It is possible that is my experience. But i saw a insert or something that said these werent designed to be workhorses prettymuch. I cant remember, maybe a wahm that retails bumkins might know??
Melissa, At home, homeschooling, proud LDS Mom to 3 miracles on Earth, 5 angels in heaven, Nothing butt cloth is now closed. Thank you for 5 years of support.
nothing_butt_cloth is offline   Reply With Quote