Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
LovelyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Weaning a 19 month EBF baby... help!!

I don't know what to do.
DD is 19M and I don't think she needs to BF anymore. She eats full meals and drinks from adult cups. But she still likes to nurse for comfort. I'm ready to stop. last night was the first night I refused to nurse her. Instead I put her in the maya wrap ( ring sling) and just rocked her to sleep. She didn't even wake up to nurse all night!! I refused her in the morning too... I just told her lets go get some eggs and juice ect.. she was fine.

I'm feeling bad though now . This has been such a special time for us and now it's going away . I just want to pick her up and nurse her right now, I feel sad that it's all over. But to be honest I'm ready for her to move on with life too. Once she is weaned and sleeps all night she can go into her own bed and that will be nice.

I don't know what I'm saying... I'm just sad I guess. And my boob is about to explode lol, I'm in alot of pain right now.

I never went through this with DS. One day out the blue he just stopped. he prefered a bottle before bed and nap, and that was that. He was about 13M when that happened.

Thanks for listening if you read all this mumbo-jumbo. I'm just a little bumbed out .

Advertisement

I'm swaggin now!! Come join me
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Niknak22
LovelyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
Trin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weaning a 19 month EBF baby... help!!

Trin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How often does she usually nurse? It's generally advised that you only cut out one feeding at a time. So, you'd drop one feed, stick with that for a few days(or weeks), then cut out the next.

If she usually nurses a few times a day and you're stopping all of a sudden, you're setting yourself up for mastitis in a big way.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
nathansmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
How often does she usually nurse? It's generally advised that you only cut out one feeding at a time. So, you'd drop one feed, stick with that for a few days(or weeks), then cut out the next.

If she usually nurses a few times a day and you're stopping all of a sudden, you're setting yourself up for mastitis in a big way.
I totally agree with this.

Drop one feeding at a time. Much easier on her (more gentle) and much easier on your breasts.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
LovelyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the support. I went ahead and nursed her for her nap. It's the night time feedings that take the most from me because she nurses ALL night. That will be the feeding I will cut out.

And to answe the questions... her nursing is sporadic. Mainly if she is tired or bored or upset. I don't think she is hungry, more like she just likes to nurse. She can sit and eat a full meal and still empty a boob. This has been really hard on me mentally. I just want us both to be happy and satisfied in our mommy-daughter relationship.

I'm swaggin now!! Come join me
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Niknak22
LovelyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyMum View Post
Thanks for the support. I went ahead and nursed her for her nap. It's the night time feedings that take the most from me because she nurses ALL night. That will be the feeding I will cut out.

And to answe the questions... her nursing is sporadic. Mainly if she is tired or bored or upset. I don't think she is hungry, more like she just likes to nurse. She can sit and eat a full meal and still empty a boob. This has been really hard on me mentally. I just want us both to be happy and satisfied in our mommy-daughter relationship.
It sounds like what you really want is to nightwean. Nursing doesn't have to be all or nothing. At the age your daughter is, you can set limits. My son is 16 months old, and he's now nightweaned. So I get a break from nursing from about 9pm until 7am. And during the day he eats 3 meals and has at least one snack. Some days he nurses more than others, but that's ok. If I need him to not nurse for whatever reason, we can usually manage through without a complete meltdown.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
tammilf
Registered Users
seller

Hey mama!

My son and I did a long slow wean. He too was very used to the nurse before bed and in the morning. I would cut the during nighttime ones, as they are the hardest on you and she is getting enough nutrition during the day. Then I would be planful in dropping feedings. If you have a dh or partner who can put your dd to bed some nights that will reduce the demand on your body and slow the supply and demand cycle of milk production. The bedtime nursing was the last we did. I was ready to be done, but since he was 22m and so attached it was still hard. I am tearing up now thinking about him crying and signing milk to me. (Of course that may be the new mommy hormones as I now have a new 2 mo old!)

Also, even if you want it...change is hard. Give yourself a break. This is a big transition and your LO is growing up. Bittersweet....

Good luck and take care of yourself.
tammilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
life.sew.simple
Registered Users
Formerly: *home*mademama
seller

Oh wow, I am so with you Momma! I just got through day 3 of weaning one feeding at night and last night went great....I am so relieved but at the same time, it hit me that these are the last of our nursing days, months, whatever...it's the end of a good thing and it has to be done. Bittersweet indeed. I am so worn out from him nursing all night so I am thankful to cut back even a little. But nursing is designed to makes us so close to these sweet babies, you can't help to be a bit sad. Glad searched weaning and found your post as I feel glad to know I am not alone...sorry this is so confusing, I am getting dinner warmed up and Sam is ready for a nap so I'm in that rushed mode!!!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
life.sew.simple
Registered Users
Formerly: *home*mademama
seller

How are you doing Momma? We haven't made very much headway ourselves except that my DH can get ds asleep without me now, and I cut out at least one nursing in the night and one in the day. I am frustrated though because my son just doesn't eat much in the day...hope you are doing well and not too sad!