Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2006, 09:42 PM   #31
lombardowa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Man, why does she have to cry ALL the darn time?

I went through the same thing with my son. I took him to the dr. because I suspected reflux and he sent me to Dr. Cuevas at Children's Hospital (I live in Maryville in East Tennessee) and she ran bloodwork that told her he had food allergies. He is allergic to milk, eggs and soy. As long as I avoid these foods, he does fine.

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2006, 01:29 PM   #32
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
Just an extra thought.

I have one day care girl who as an infant was absolutley the most high maintanance kid I have ever seen. She could cry her day away.

By four months, I noticed that she liked TV, especially Tele Tubbies, and Baby Motzart. BUT, she also would calm down if I dressed her in NOTHING but a diaper and the softest blanket in the world. She liked a heavy blanket with some weight to it. (I laid her in the stroller to watch tv)

As she got older, her preferences for how things that DARE to touch her body became more obvious. And sounds. She HATES sound. So, in a quiet room, with nothing but a diaper and the television (She liked country music videos too) she could "Chill out".

She obviously has sensory issues, and once we understood that (FIVE years later) we are more able to deal with her problems. She is easily overstimulated, she doesn't do well in a crowded room. Disneyland to her is Disney Hell. But, in her "perfect enviroment" she is the most wonderful kid.

She MUST wear very soft clothes, that don't have elastic in the wrists, neck or ankles. He socks are a nightmare, she sleeps in no Jammies, but she is much better (mostly) It just took understanding her problems, then respecting her need to wear only a few certain things. She lives in one Hannah Anderson dress. The same dress over and over.

Have you tried letting her sleep in a super soft t-shirt and a sleep sack instead of PJs?

Have you tried letting her sit in a stroller in a dark quiet room and let her watch an interesting baby movie? She may be far too young to enjoy the Baby videos, but it is worth a try.
Intersting that you say this...because Emma is the only baby I know who gets SOOOOO happy when she is out of clothing! Its weird. I havnt really let her just be in a diaper for fear she will get too chilled. Ive always heard that babies have a hard time holding in body heat until closer to 6 months old.
And TV isn't something that we plan on doing with our kiddos...but maybe I will try some music or something. Good idea.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #33
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lombardowa View Post
I went through the same thing with my son. I took him to the dr. because I suspected reflux and he sent me to Dr. Cuevas at Children's Hospital (I live in Maryville in East Tennessee) and she ran bloodwork that told her he had food allergies. He is allergic to milk, eggs and soy. As long as I avoid these foods, he does fine.
Really? COOL! I figured I would have to put her through rigorous allergy pin-prick tests to figure out what might be going on. This is good to know! Thanks!
Old 10-11-2006, 02:12 PM   #34
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

I've only glanced at the replies but you are not alone. DS and DD were both horribly colicy with reflux-- DS was the typical sling and rock with white noise kid.

Ashley hit the breaking point for me at 3 weeks-- made me want to poke my eyes out and pull my hair out. She has tons of food sensitivities-- milk, soy, we suspect wheat/gluten, eggs. If you're BFing, do a complete elimination diet and give it 2-3 weeks to work out of your system.

Ashley hated clothes and stil is super sensitve about anything binding or tight, loves to be naked, so I would lay a big thick wool blanket on the ground, then a cotton sheet on top of it and she'd be naked and happy.

She also hated to be reclined-- we had a bouncey seat from DS that was a lifesaver with him but she hated it, so we bought two others to see.... waste of money! She loves to be upright- put her in an exersaucer earlier on because she had decent head support-- loved it. Amazed me! Same with the Bumbo seat for short periods of time.

She was super sensitive to smells-- our clothing, the cleaners we used-- if anything harsh smells agitated her. She would go nuts with lingering cigarette smells from family memeber. Same with perfumes.

She hated ring slings and pouches but wraps were golden, and now my mei tai-- its' being upright. Seems to be part of everything. Until recently I probably wore her for more hours a day than not-- but it was what we had to do for our sanity.

She likes being outside, the leaves on the tree fascinate her so we'd play outside under a tree and she'd be happy.

(((((((((((HUGS))))))))))) It will get better, you will figure it out.
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:06 PM   #35
eochoa
Registered Users

I've been there sweetie, and yes it can get really overwhelming some days. I'm praying for better tomorrow, and hopefully you can find some calming techniques or at least some help with the walking! My ds was like this, well don't freak out, but for almost 9 months. He got better around 6 months, but still just wasn't a happy baby. I changed everything I thought would help, and read all the books, and talked to everyone I knew, and had three pediatricians. .. nothing worked but walking & singing to him! My parents were 5 minutes away, so every other day mom would come over so I could shower, and then we would go to her house for dinner. I didn't do any housework, and when he would sleep I would sleep. . .dh was working 2 jobs and we never saw him, and when I did, I gave him ds to walk.

Not a fun time in our lives, however ds is a happy toddler, very social now, interacts easy with kids and adults and his expressions and or actions have me laughing daily. DD has been a breeze in comparison, however when she has a fussy time or day I have flashbacks of ds and feel like I'm going to have a mental breakdown.

If you want to talk, feel free to PM me because sometimes just knowing someone has been through it can help. I never found anyone who had a baby with "colic" that lasted 24 hours a day when I was going through it, maybe it would have helped.
eochoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:24 PM   #36
kimpo76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my goodness, your post could have been mine just a few months ago. I know that exercise ball all too well and that crazy lower back ache it creates from bouncing on it all day!

My DD was colicky for exactly 4 months and 9 days. Yes, I know the exact day because at the end of the day on the 4th of July my DH and I looked at each and said, "Was Katie pretty content today, or did I just imagine that?" And from that point on she's become happier and happier. She is a complete sweetheart now, but I remember just a few months ago feeling like I was a complete failure as a mother. My best friend had a baby two weeks after me who was this little lump of smooshy baby-ness that cuddled and slept on his mommy's chest all day long, while I had this screaming lunatic of a baby that wouldn't stay still or quiet from the second she came out of me! My friend could take her baby anywhere with her and by 3 months old I had resigned myself to the fact that I would never be able to take my daughter anywhere by myself (thankfully, I can take her wherever I want to now!). My house seemed very small those first few months of Katie's life.

We tried a million things to try and ease the crying and each week we would discover something that worked for a while and then a couple days later we would be back at square one. I read every book on the market that had the word "Fussy" in the title. I really hope the elimination diet works for you. But if it doesn't, just keep on hanging in there like you have been because it WILL get better. A LOT better. My only piece of advice is to try and get your baby back to sleep as often and as much as possible. I always felt bad that as soon as Katie started crying that I wanted to try and get her to take a nap again, even if she had just woken up. But if I could go back I think I would have tried to get her to nap even more often. Katie still is very sensitive when it comes to sleep and becomes a terror if she misses a nap. I don't know if that is true of all babies that begin their life as colicky newborns, but it certainly is true for my DD! Good luck and please feel free to PM me if you ever need to talk to someone who has been there...because I HAVE DEFINITELY BEEN THERE!
kimpo76 is offline   Reply With Quote