Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #11
BeckyP
Registered Users
seller

Re: Acid reflux = stop breastfeeding????

Ds had horrible reflex and DD had it too but not as bad. $13 a can...No try $25-$27 a can. I say try the meds but NO NOT stop breast feeding.

I'm not doubting your pricing but if he is going to need the hypoallergenic easy to digest formula that is how much it cost. Crazy expensive stuff.

Advertisement

Last edited by BeckyP; 05-12-2008 at 09:43 PM.
BeckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #12
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinkdragon View Post
Thanks ladies! I knew it was terrible advice. Problem is she already stopped breastfeeding and is feeding him formula now. I don't know her just her sister so I will relay the information but I have a feeling we are too late. She probably won't want to do the work to get her supply back.

In other news I did some more research on reflux and I think it is possible my DS just overeats and spits up more than I thought he should. Although if he spits up over an hour later and it is curdled (because of being mixed with stomach acid) is that technically vomit or is it still spit up? Sometimes it gushes out of his mouth and nose but it really isn't ever projectile. I have been block feeding to reduce my OALD and it is getting better but he still spits up a lot even after I keep him elevated for 30+ minutes. It doesn't seem to hurt him though. Any ideas?
As long as the weight gain is okay and he's not screaming in pain, I wouldn't worry about it. My DD spit up constantly and the ped just said not to worry about it unless she was in pain. As your supply regulates down, you'll probably notice a decrease in the spit up. And, I think it can still be considered "spit up" even if it is curdled. Just depends on how long it sits in the tummy. Continue block feeding... it'll help over time.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #13
thepinkdragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyP View Post
Ds had horrible reflex and DD had it too but not as bad. $13 a can...No try $25-$27 a can. I say try the meds but NO NOT stop breast feeding.

I'm not doubting your pricing but if he is going to need the hypoallergenic easy to digest formula that is how much it cost. Crazy expensive stuff.
That is just what I was told.
I asked her sister what the other reasons were and she said they think he is lactose intolerant too and her sister would have had to make too many dietary changes and that she was given the choice. Apparently they have tried several different formulas too.

thepinkdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:43 AM   #14
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Thanks ladies! I knew it was terrible advice. Problem is she already stopped breastfeeding and is feeding him formula now. I don't know her just her sister so I will relay the information but I have a feeling we are too late. She probably won't want to do the work to get her supply back.
Wow, for $13 a can I would think the work would be worth it.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:14 AM   #15
shannong
Registered Users
seller

I have not read most of the other replies, but I wanted to add my 2 cents. To stop breastfeeding because of reflux is COMPLETELY backwards! I have 2 boys, both with BAD reflux. One was even DXed failure to thrive because it wasn't caught soon enough.

Breast milk is the best food for any baby as know. It is ESPECIALLY true for the reflux baby. Breast milk is the easiest to digest and is the specialized per each mommy and baby pair. It is also the easiest for the reflux babies sensitive system to absorb. Reflux can often lead, or be linked to other allergies and sensitivities. (dairy, nuts, and eggs specifically) That is another thread all together though.

Formula even the expensive elemental formulas (allimentium, nutramigen etc) are often harder on the reflux baby and taste like crap. We had to try quite a few with my first son and it only made him worse. He would projective vomit it all up in 15 min like clock work.

Our pediatric dietitian and our Pediatric GI encourages me to breastfeed as long as possible to help with the reflux and I plan to. My 1st son self weaned at 2.5yrs. The answer is NOT to stop breastfeeding, but more likely to try a different medicine. There are MANY choices. Some work for some babies better than others. Zantac is VERY weight/dosage sensitive. It worked great for my 1st son It did nothing for my 2nd. He is on prevacid and doing great.

I would honestly say to find a second opinion and continue to Breastfeed. It sounds like a completel lack of education to me

Shannon
Old 05-13-2008, 10:26 PM   #16
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

IMO the formula would make it worse! Breastmilk is a natural antacid. The issue is with his valve in his stomach/esophagus being immature. Nothing more. I'd switch pediatricians ASAP!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 10:35 PM   #17
litlepick
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedbison View Post
As long as the weight gain is okay and he's not screaming in pain, I wouldn't worry about it. My DD spit up constantly and the ped just said not to worry about it unless she was in pain. As your supply regulates down, you'll probably notice a decrease in the spit up. And, I think it can still be considered "spit up" even if it is curdled. Just depends on how long it sits in the tummy. Continue block feeding... it'll help over time.
reflux is normal in an infant, it is only a problem when there is pain and weight issues

Quote:
That is just what I was told.
I asked her sister what the other reasons were and she said they think he is lactose intolerant too and her sister would have had to make too many dietary changes and that she was given the choice. Apparently they have tried several different formulas too.
that could be tested really easily, but it is extremely rare that an infant would be born unable to digest its primary source of calories... and change in moms diet has no effect on the amount of lactose in her milk, its always there
Old 05-13-2008, 10:38 PM   #18
courtney_adkins05
Registered Users
seller

dd1 had AR too...luckily her pedi didnt use that term at first. he said after i explained several instances of feeding her and having the equivalent of like half a gallon of BM spit back up on me ewww!!! he said there is a muscle that keeps the food down that his sometimes too immature to do what it is meant to do thus leading to BIG spit ups. i think 2 or 3 months and it was normal
courtney_adkins05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #19
JessG
Registered Users
seller

Whoever told her to stop BFing is an idiot. If her let down is too fast, she just needs to pump a little before feeding. My son had reflux and he still nursed and was on Axid.