Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:27 AM   #11
bgjmhg03
Registered Users
seller

Re: Virus and Formula Supplementation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirasmom View Post
BF babies only need to gain 4-7 oz per week- he's right on track. Don't let them scare you- he's fine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpopp View Post
I say get a new ped--no formula it will cause your ds more problems
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamoo3 View Post
Also, formula is very hard on babies tummy and intestinal tract so I would think that would be very hard on a lo with a virus.
ITA with all of that! I truly believe formula will make it worse. And his weight gain is great especially since he has had a virus.

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #12
Keri
Registered Users

My Mood:

Follow your Mommy instinct!!! I'm ALWAYS suspicious of the peds! If you want an honest answer call the hospital where you delivered and speak with one of the lactation consultants or call your local lelache(sp?) support person. Just go online and you will be able to find the local person in your area this was a huge support to me with all of mine! My personal advice is NURSE NURSE NURSE!!! If he's still hungry then suppliment(I had to do this with my last baby until my milk was regular and growth spurts make them extra hungry too!) The normal rule of thumb is to nurse both sides for at least 10-15 minuts and if the baby is still hungry then suppliment until your milk supply regulates. Also make sure you are nursing every 2 hours...I was not nursing often enough because he was a sleeper and that didn't help either. BUT like I said ask the experts NOT the PEDS! Blessings, Keri.
Keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #13
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't do it!! I agree w/ pp - the formula will only irritate his already irritated digestive system. Sounds to me like he's doing okay weight wise, not sure why the ped is concerned about it, esp. in light of the virus... I would only be concerned if the virus was causing him to lose weight, KWIM? And even then, I would NOT give formula. The best way to "supplement" is to pump some extra milk, let it settle and then skim the "cream" off the top and feed that high fat milk to your baby. Good luck, and remember that most peds are NOT experts in nutrition or breastfeeding, unfortunately.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #14
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I just thought of something else. You say he has a virus, but his only symptom is green mucousy stools and he isn't losing weight. Perhaps you have an extreme oversupply of milk and he doesn't actually have a virus?? Often, if a mama has an oversupply, the baby gets mostly foremilk (because they fill up on the foremilk and stop feeding before they get to the hindmilk), and too much foremilk can result in green, liquidy stools. If that is the case, there are ways to tame your milk supply (block feeding, for one). Anyway, just something to think about.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote