Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2008, 12:12 AM   #1
quietdusk
Registered Users

Rant about fenugreek and health food store!! Long

I am so upset right now! DH and I went to a health food store a couple towns over a few days ago. It was our first time going there. They had sooo much cool stuff. We didn't end up buying too much b/c everything was really pricy. One of the things I did buy was some fenugreek seeds. They had a big section of herbs in paper bags stamped with the store's label. The fenugreek was cheaper than the mother's milk tea. That's why I bought it.
Well, tonight I made myself some tea with the seeds. I was surprised that they looked and smelled so much like fennel seeds. As I sat down to enjoy my tea, I decided to google fenugreek to make sure the scientific name was the same as the one on my package. Sure enough, it was the same name. But as I continued to read about fenugreek, I saw a picture of the seeds. They were totally different than the seeds I have! I googled images of fenugreek just to be sure. I'm now pretty positive that I have a bag of fennel seeds. I'm fuming!!
I'm not having any supply issues right now, I just wanted to boost it since I'm going to start pumping. But imagine if I was having problems and this had happened! For a mother struggling with BF, it could have been devastating for the "fenugreek" to not work.
DH thinks that I am overreacting since the fennel isn't bad for you. He just doesn't understand what a challenge BF can be. Something like this could end so many potential BF relationships. Not only that, fenugreek is used for other ailments like diabetes and high blood pressure.
I'm totally going back to the store to speak to the manager. I want to find out where they get their herbs from and where they are packaged. I'm also going to try to get an address or email from a regional manager or someone high up. I'm really hoping this was just a mistake in packaging. Even if it is, it's inexcusable.
What do you think? Am I overreacting or justified in my thoughts?

Advertisement

Last edited by quietdusk; 05-15-2008 at 12:36 AM.
quietdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:24 AM   #2
cassondruh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rant about fenugreek and health food store!! Long

No, I think it is justifiable (your feelings) and you should contact the managers and higher ups! Especially if there really is a mistake - it could save someone out there from a negative reaction to the seeds, and also save the company from a big lawsuit if you helped them get to the bottom of it.
And I'd be really upset too. The mother's milk tea IS expensive, so I understand wanting to get the fenugreek to make your own tea - I had problems with supply in the early weeks after DD was born.
I'd be fuming if I bought something that was supposed to help my BF'ing supply and BF'ing relationship, but ended up being something else.
Fenugreek helped get my supply issues back on track, and if a mistake at the packaging plant had interrupted that, I would be devastated
cassondruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:27 AM   #3
cassondruh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I wanted to ask if you have looked into taking the fenugreek capsules?
I think I started taking them around 2 months after my DD was born, because I couldn't afford the mother's milk tea anymore (especially according to the directions, which were 4 packages of tea per day?!?! yikes!)
You will smell like maple syrup, which might be good or bad depending on if you like that smell, LOL, but they were a lifesaver!
cassondruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:09 AM   #4
quietdusk
Registered Users

I was planning on trying the capsules next, actually. Is sounds interesting to smell like maple syrup. lol.
And thanks for the support