Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
spookykitty
Registered Users
seller

Smile We EC too

Hi Ladies. I've never posted on this forum before so I thought I would give you a little intro. We started EC with my dd when she was 6 months old after I had sort of stumbled upon the concept.

It was funny how it happened one day. She had just started solid foods and I was so in love with my cloth diapers I didn't want them to get stained etc. I had bought some of those flushable liners to help with stains and I was trying to figure out when to put one in a diaper - I didn't really want to use them for every change. So I was changing a diaper after she ate and thought she might have to poop so I threw a liner in a diaper and she actually started to poop and I was like.... QUICK snap the diaper on. And then something clicked in my head and I was like... QUICK get her to the TOILET! It made so much more sense!

With my ds, I really started seriously when he was 3 months old. And it was a challenge sort of re-figuring how to do things as boys have a different anatomy But I did notice a definite change in him after starting EC. He was a MUCH HAPPIER baby. Almost as if he would get frustrated in the day because he was trying to tell me about his need to eliminate and I wasn't hearing him. When I started to pay more attention, I was changing double the amount of diapers and was like OMG that's why he had been so fussy.

I definitely have seen that in the very early months babies HATE to sit in a wet diaper and are very vocal about it. This is probably the best time to start, before they become "trained" to know that mama isn't going to take care of their diaper and they are made to sit in it. I am always totally amazed when I see an older baby say over 1 year who doesn't care at all that they are wearing a soiled diaper!

So for our baby soon to be born, I'm planning on going full on and starting at birth

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
FluffShop
Registered Users

Re: We EC too

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookykitty View Post
Hi Ladies. I've never posted on this forum before so I thought I would give you a little intro. We started EC with my dd when she was 6 months old after I had sort of stumbled upon the concept.

It was funny how it happened one day. She had just started solid foods and I was so in love with my cloth diapers I didn't want them to get stained etc. I had bought some of those flushable liners to help with stains and I was trying to figure out when to put one in a diaper - I didn't really want to use them for every change. So I was changing a diaper after she ate and thought she might have to poop so I threw a liner in a diaper and she actually started to poop and I was like.... QUICK snap the diaper on. And then something clicked in my head and I was like... QUICK get her to the TOILET! It made so much more sense!

With my ds, I really started seriously when he was 3 months old. And it was a challenge sort of re-figuring how to do things as boys have a different anatomy But I did notice a definite change in him after starting EC. He was a MUCH HAPPIER baby. Almost as if he would get frustrated in the day because he was trying to tell me about his need to eliminate and I wasn't hearing him. When I started to pay more attention, I was changing double the amount of diapers and was like OMG that's why he had been so fussy.

I definitely have seen that in the very early months babies HATE to sit in a wet diaper and are very vocal about it. This is probably the best time to start, before they become "trained" to know that mama isn't going to take care of their diaper and they are made to sit in it. I am always totally amazed when I see an older baby say over 1 year who doesn't care at all that they are wearing a soiled diaper!

So for our baby soon to be born, I'm planning on going full on and starting at birth
Our 4thLO (Dd) cried almost constantly when she came home from the hospital. We were beside ourselves and wondered if it was just her personality, if she was in pain or WHAT. Sleep deprived and going crazy from the newborn shrieking I too stumbled upon ECing (through another message board's mention of it). So I set about researching it thinking it was crazy and wanting to support my internal scoffing about it. I found it instead to be facinating that babies COULD communicate at an early age that they had to go. At the same time I read about The Baby Whisperer and how to listen to slight variaations in crying to determine what the baby was trying to say.

Those two things in tandem began our EC journey and at 3 weeks Dd started her screech shortly after her a.m. BF session and I realized -- maybe that's her pee cry! So I ran to our toddler's potty chair (she was PL at the time) stripped off her clothes & diaper and held her over the potty seat. She was crying a specific cry but all of the sudden she started peeing and that previous cry became her banshee scream. It was her "i'm peeing" cry. When she finished her cry became yet another tone and was what I later realized was her 'change me' cry. She HAD been crying all the time b/c she was trying to vocalize different things.

From then on she continued the same cries but because of BF issues I didn't fully pursue the ECing until she was 3-4 months old. I did use her specific cries to learn when to change her diapers (which was up to 15 times a day for a newborn). Since then she has been more content -even though she is still a vocal baby 'telling' use when something isn't quite right for her. (not just diaper-related, lol)

Now at 8mos she pretty much tells use with a few whimpers escalating into whines if we don't respond right away and take her. She doesn't always tell us when she needs to go. It's almost as if some days she just wants to go in her CD and then change. Other days she wants to EC all day. I just go with the flow (lol) and do whatever she seems to want to do. Thankfully she always wants to poo on the toilet!

She has learned to sign the 'go to the bathroom' sign by shaking her hand back and forth (sometimes in a fist - other times not -- she can't put her thumb in the right place just yet). It so amazing what babies are capable of doing.

I am most definitely not MAKING her go on the toilet. She WANTS to(sometimes). So I take her when she asks.
FluffShop is offline   Reply With Quote