Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2008, 02:02 PM   #201
MOmom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pinning challenge! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdof1985 View Post
i noticed that too about the pins. i thought i had heard somewhere to point the pins towards their hips IF they came undone then theyd poke them there and not their legs/"parts"... so thats what ive always done.

i dont think it really matters how you pin as long as the poo catcher catches the poo
That makes sense about not poking them in their sensitive parts. Here's a pic of how I was pining and then my first attempt at pinning like you guys do. The first one is in a hemp prefold and the next in cpf since the pin goes through easier. As you can see there were some definite thigh gapping going on. Not sure what to do as I tried the pulling from the other side as the video tutorial suggested and I even repinned the first side after I did the second.

Advertisement

Last edited by MOmom; 04-27-2008 at 02:04 PM.
MOmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #202
mommysings3
Registered Users
seller

the second one looks really good!
Jessica, just an every day rebel, Doula, midwife student, writer, homeschooling WAHM to 4, soon to be 5 girls- O- 10, L- 8, H- 6, E- 21 months, and V due 01.14.09 IDSO any Elliebelly colorway on any base.
mommysings3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #203
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysings3 View Post
I had a set of pins, my first set, that I got online. They weren't dritz, I don't know what they were but they wouldn't go through fabric well at all. I tried soap and the oil in my hair with no luck. It really confused me why ppl would say how great pinning is, I nearly bruised my fingers trying to get the darn things through and it took forever! Then I got my first set of dritz pins and low and behold, magic. The pins just glide through and I found the pinning love.
I quoted this post once already, but felt the need to quote it again. I just don't know what's up w/ the pins I have. They are diaper pins, they have the locking head and the curviness, etc. But I did go ahead and finally order some dritz pins this weekend. I had been thinking about this post since I first read it, and you finally "talked me into it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysings3 View Post
You can do it, don't give up yet mama, just use the snappis whenever you are too frustrated to try. I really recommend the dritz or gerber pins and until you can try with those maybe just wait. As for getting the fit I've had to get comfortable with the fact that when I'm putting it on her I'm going to have to make it tight, really tight so that when I take my hand out it's just right. I've never gotten it too tight but I have made it too loose. Also, tucking the legs after it's on good and tight helps with containment. But if you're not enjoying it and snappis make you happy keep going with those.
I ordered some Dritz pins yesterday so when these get here, I'll have to give pinning a try again. I hope it works out.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #204
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hm, guess everyone else has mastered pins and this thread isn't needed anymore.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #205
alyssasmommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmd1023 View Post
this may look messy, but it works! these are sooo trim.

I have to say I love the layout of your house it looks so nice! we have a split and i'm so sick of running up and down stairs all the time. oh and i love that spongebob table too!

what kind of prefold is that? I love it!!!
Old 05-18-2008, 01:19 AM   #206
AJsMommy
Registered Users
seller

Can I ask...I got some pins from GMD (they're some sort of European type which are curved) and liked them. Then I got some Dritz ones from nickisdiapers and can't stand them. It's so much easier with the ones from GMD. Has anyone else had this experience (with curvy pins vs. straight ones)? Oh, and I bought some at BabiesRUs (the plastic headed ones) and they're horrible...at least for me...if you're not having luck using those, try getting real Dritz diaper pins.
AJsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:57 AM   #207
Kristen82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didnt end up actually doing the pinning challenge but i have started to pin When DS wakes up I'll take some pictures. I dont do all that good yet LOL. But I also have the cheapie gerber pins. Hopefully I'll be able to order some better ones soon.

Kristen82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:22 AM   #208
jadekat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsMommy View Post
Can I ask...I got some pins from GMD (they're some sort of European type which are curved) and liked them. Then I got some Dritz ones from nickisdiapers and can't stand them. It's so much easier with the ones from GMD. Has anyone else had this experience (with curvy pins vs. straight ones)? Oh, and I bought some at BabiesRUs (the plastic headed ones) and they're horrible...at least for me...if you're not having luck using those, try getting real Dritz diaper pins.
I bought some Dritz pins from For the Monster and I can't get them through my GMD rainbows. BUT the kicker is that I can get a Gerber pin through them no problem! So I only use the Dritz pins when I use my GMD browns. It's kinda a pain.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:56 AM   #209
Kristen82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok this is how I get a nice, tight and trim fit with my LL UB flats. First I fold it into a "prefold" and lay it under baby.

Then I fold the sides under his bum and bring it up

Spread out the top, bring one side over and pull really tight, pin.

Repeat on other side

Both sides pinned...a little crooked granted LOL and I didnt pull it up enough in the first place...oops.

Back view...holds up really well I wont say how many times I've poked myself with my pins though lol.

Kristen82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:04 AM   #210
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen82 View Post
I wont say how many times I've poked myself with my pins though lol.
Aw, man, don't say that. Now you're getting me too scared again to try pins. And it's too late to change my mind, b/c I've already ordered them.