Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #71
svenjafour
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm about to give up

Thank you for your support, mamas, I do appreciate it. Also many thanks to the ones who have sent me PMs, supporting my decision to switch to formula for my sanity's sake. One mama suggested that I pump for a while and then I can still get back to BFing, if I want to after a while. Since I've made the decision to give the little one the bottle, he and I are both so much more calm. He felt my depression and frustration (I'm just not as tough as some of you), but now I can be a much better mama to him. Yes, it does take longer at night to soothe him back to sleep when I give him the bottle, but it's worth it to me. I realize that most of you will not accept or respect my decision and disagree with me no matter what, but I did what I had to do and what was right for me at this time. Congratulations to all of you who made it through tough times and ended up being successful breast-feeding mamas.

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #72
Luke'sMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh mama, I feel for you! My son is six weeks and it's been a hard road, too. The sleep deprivation really takes a toll and can make you want to give in. The best advice I got when I came home from the hospital and all hell seemed to break loose with nursing was to put the pump, bottles, medicine cups, etc. away and just focus on nursing. Granted, when your nipples feel like they're being repeatedly ripped off, it's hard to even want to nurse. It's scary to not pump or give formula, but if your baby is gaining weight, even if you think you're making much milk, then your baby will be fine. In the meantime, check out breastfeedingonline.com, which was recommended to me by my LC. There's a protocal for a nipple cream that your OB/GYN can call in to a compounding pharmacy. It is pricey, but has been a life saver. Just remember, none of us are super heros and you are stronger than you think!
Luke'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #73
Smidgerooski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Smidgerooski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #74
TLDmom
Banned

My Mood:

Latching on does hurt in the beginning and especially if your pumping its going to make your nipples sore. You will get through it, avoid housework or whatever. Just lay in bed watch movies and rest when the baby does and nurse on demand. Nurse, Nurse, Nurse... that is what will increase your supply
TLDmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #75
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama!
Old 05-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #76
csully4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you pull his chin down when he latches? My ds was tongue tied and I had to do that to get him to learn to stick his tongue out further. Also if you make sure the bottom lip is rolled out instead of tucked in over his bottom gum it will help. It does get easier. My older ds nursed very 1-2 hours for the first 7-8 days after he was born. I hear your pain.