Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #11
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Suggestions, advice... milk not good enough?

If you're really worried, start taking some marshmallow root, it boosts the fat content of breastmilk.

But other then that, I'd say it's more an issue with a naive doctor. Breastfed babies are smaller, it's just that simple. As long as your bub isn't losing weight, and is still having the right amount of pees a day, you're fine.

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2008, 11:58 PM   #12
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

Hmmm I'd suggest on demand nursing. Every 3 hours isn't too often lol. My little miss chubbs nursed about every 3-4 hours until she was probably 9 months. She was a big baby really fast (20 lbs and 27 inches at 6 months). If it helps him to gain weight and grow, then go for it.
He might also just be a tiny little guy.

Oh I was EBFing my little girl, too. I never used formula. I guess my milk has a high fat content. But in general breastfed babies are smaller. Have you checked his weight/height percentages on kellymom.com where they have a breastfed babies growth percentiles chart? They are different for breastfed babies... lol that'd probably have put my daughter above the 100th percentile then. hahaha

Last edited by La Mere D'Anna; 05-19-2008 at 12:01 AM.
La Mere D'Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:05 AM   #13
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

Here's a link
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...lc-metric.html
Old 05-19-2008, 06:19 AM   #14
nickel
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mere D'Anna View Post
Yep, right now he's growing just like he should. I was 6lbs 2 oz at birth, DH was 5lbs (he was early) and DS1 was 6lbs 4oz and grew slow but steady. I just have smaller babies that don't go through that chunking up then slimming down phase when they start getting mobile (I would so love to have a cute little chunk, but I just don't make em that way!). Maybe that's why the LC hasn't called to make an appointment.... There's nothing wrong!

Everyone seems to forget he was sick for his first 2 1/2 months. Then they think my math is screwey when I tell them that if he keeps gaining at the current rate (or close to it), at 1 year, he'll be right around where he should be! Then they buy him clothes he'll never get to wear (if DS1 was just fitting good in size 3-6 months when he was 6 months old, why would you buy my 6 month old that is a few lbs smaller a long sleeve pants outfit (in a size 3-6 months) in April?

Everyone's supportive of my breastfeeding, they're just not educated enough!
Plus, for some reason, everyone I know seems to think breastfed babies are supposed to be fatter than formula fed babies.

Co-sleeping/eating didn't work too well last night, but it wasn't a good night anyway (teething, plus older DS had a slight cold and he kept waking up too).

Not sure if that's why or it's because he's still small. I have huge boobs, and I think DS1 was 12lbs or so before we really "fit" together to eat lying down. That was his favorite way to eat though, and he slept with me until he weaned (milk supply dropped and big pregnant belly was in the way!). I'm hoping this guys the same. It's so nice not having to get up during the night (plus the babies sleep better too).
nickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #15
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is really no way to boast your calorie count, sorry. I found thins out after my #5 wasn't gaining like we would like and actually lost weight between 4 and 6 months. I was donating mik to a milk bank and so they tested my milk to find out the calorie count. Now 13 - 35 calories per oz in "normal" mine is 15.4. On the low side of normal, so after finding that out, I started nursing her way more often and she is gaining, slowly but gaining.

She is 8 months old and weights 15 lbs, she started out at 8 lbs 3 oz, so not quit doubled yet. She is happy,sleeps well, is developmentaly normal, (not crawling yet) but that is normal.

I would suggest your milk is perfect but may just be on the lower side of the scale so make the calories easily avaliable, like you are doing. Nurse every 2-3 hours during the day and if co-sleeping works for you then go for it.

As long as baby is having 6-10 wet diapers a day and is gaining, at least a few oz a week, things sound great.

Keep up the great work.

Blaock feeding might be a good idea but be sure baby gets to nurse as long as desired at each feed. I was single side nursing and when she wasn't gaining we wentto both sides, sometimes 3 if she is interested.

Oh, BTW we have still not started solids, because she doesn't need teh "empty " calories, they will never help her gain weight!
Old 05-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #16
lovespepper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like you are doing just what you should be doing for your lo. Some doctors are just skeptical of bf. Even though my dc were always gaining well (but on the smaller side) and were meeting milestones and were not sick very often, he still wanted to run iron levels between 9months and a year. (always normal) I allowed these tests to be run, just in case..... I think doctors are just overcautious.

If I were in your shoes, I would make sure he gained steadily (which you say he is ) and base his good health on how he behaves each day. Is he happy, content, learning new things, making eye contact, forming loving relationships, not getting sick too often,etc....

One more point, don't feel that it's wrong for your baby to bf every 2-3 hours, I'd actually recommend it for him. Even my toddler wants, at times, to bf every 2-3hours. And I think that's normal too.
lovespepper is offline   Reply With Quote