Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
argecash
Registered Users

Baby Weigh Scale

Hello - I rented a Medela BabyWeigh scale to monitor my DS's intake as he is having latch issues and weight gaine problems. I am wondering how much he should be taking in at each feeding. I know it will vary throughout the day but it would help to know about how much is enough. He is 7 weeks old. Thanks!

Advertisement

argecash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
corey0902
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby Weigh Scale

To gain weight you take your babys weight in oz then divide by 6. Thats how much your lo should be taking for an entire day. If you divide by 8 thats how much he should be taking at each feeding to gain wt. (Thats based on the avg of 8 feedings in 24 hours)
For example, you lo weighs 9 lbs 12 oz.
Multiply 9lbs x 16 = 144
Add the other 12 oz = 156
Then divide by 6 = 26 oz a day to gain weight
Then divide by 8 (or however many feedings in 24 hours) = 3.25 oz at each feeding
HTH!
Old 05-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
carnalcindd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The above advice sounds very good and technical. The best thing that I can say about a newborn is just to let them eat round the clock and for as long and as often as they desire.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
mommyofnoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my dr. was worried about my son's weight gain when he was about 4 weeks old. The ladies on here were great. I let him eat as often as he wanted and for as long as he wanted. If there was time, I pumped and gave him a 2-3 oz bottle in the evening after a feed. It seemed to help him to get the food more quickly and he could sleep a bit after that. I did this for a few weeks. He wasn't waking in the night , but sleeping like 6-7 hours. I started either waking him to feed every 3 hours or used a pumped bottle at that time. Again, only did this for about a week. It seemed to help him to grow more quickly and he gained 12 ounces in one week (about 7 ounces per week is normal). Now I just nurse on demand. He still has days where he literally eats all day. He is almost 2 months old and now wearing 3-6 month clothes. Also, the moms here told me to keep him close at night (he has a little bed that goes in my bed...or you could just put him next to you while you sleep) and that will help him grow and also help you produce more milk. I know that didn't really answer your question, but I hope it gave you some encouragement. and
Old 05-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have suffered with milk supply issues and rented the Baby Weigh on more occasions than I care to recall. One thing to be careful about is obsessing over the scale reading. Diana West an LC and author who specializes in BFAR (BF After Reduction Surgery) and milk supply problems cautions against doing test weights. She says that you can obsess about it too much and hurt your supply.

Keep putting baby to the breast on demand as often as you can and things will head in the right direction. If you have to supplement, consider supplementing at the breast rather than with a bottle.

Good luck
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
mommyofnoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I should add that I have one of those babies who will suck anything and not get nipple confusion...I know others aren't so lucky.