Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #81
weddell
Registered Users
seller

Re: Why don't people breastfeed?

My dd was jaundiced too and the dr's response was "breastfeed her like crazy". I do know a lot of drs recommend formula for jaundice, but I think they are wrong, babies can get over it without formula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom View Post
Both my girls were very jaundiced, both had the bili lights, but I never had a single dr suggest to give them formula...I guess I understand why you would but from my experiance it is totally unneccessary.

Advertisement

weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:43 PM   #82
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

I haven't bf'd any of my children. With my son I had horrible nurses who didn't explain anything and a very similar situation to Melissa (NothingButtcloth). The nurse was holding his head in one hand, my breast in the other and was jamming his face into me while he screamed. I also have issues with my breasts from 10 years of being molested, Dh doesn't even dare touch them. Since my son was born I have been working very hard to get past these issues and will try bfing again. It was horrible to feel this anger and rage, not at my son but just at the fact that he was sucking on my breast. I felt like a horrible mother. I am glad I made the choice not too.

My son was also very jaundiced. He had to have two sets of billilights at all time. The only time I could touch him was to feed him. He was a weak sucker and wouldn't latch. He was almost sent to the NICU for a feeding tube but starting eating just in time.

With my daughters I felt overwhelmed enough by three of them that I couldn't imagine trying to breastfeed with my issues.

Last edited by mom_of_3g_1b; 10-12-2006 at 05:53 PM.
mom_of_3g_1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:43 PM   #83
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
*shrug* I don't mean that as in "OMG FORMULA FEEDING IS FOR FREAKS". I mean "breastfeeding is the way our babies were meant to be fed, BIOLOGICALLY". Formula is artificial.

Take it the wrong way if you want, but that's not what I meant. I FF after 2 months of latch issues and low supply after going back to work.

I did not take it the wrong way. I was just saying I think both are normal.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:50 PM   #84
weddell
Registered Users
seller

We used a shield for the first 6 weeks and I think they are great! With one, I didn't have any pain and I didn't have trouble weaning her off of it. A lactation consultant told me there wasn't any reason to stop as the new shields don't cause supply issues. She knew someone who bf for 9 months with one! Keep using it if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manna00 View Post
All of these stories are so interesting.

I exlusively breastfeed... but I admit, I use a shield still. I tried to deal with life without using one... but DS just isn't latching right--so I would land up being a bloody mess all over again (like I was at the hospital). I figure the closeness is still there--and poor DS doesn't drown in my letdown and it doesn't affect MY supply.... AND best of all, it's KEEPING me breastfeeding, so it can't be too bad. I'd rather clean and keep track of a piddly little nipple shield than deal with bottles and pumps. Just my two cents.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #85
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

I saw lots of moms using shields in the NICU. Those nurses were so helpful with bfing. It was so much easier on the babies who were used to being bottle fed at least part of the time.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #86
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel0123 View Post
Without reading all the comments I feel so many women are uneducated about it and or don't have the support nesscary to breastfeed. Giving formula is the 3rd best option for infant nutrition. (according to WHO, breastmilk first, expressed milk 2nd). THe lack of support is direct corolation to formula feeding. Back in the olden days everyone breastfed and experienced moms helped new moms. Many women in todays generation have never seen a baby breastfeed.
I directly blame formula companies for making forumla seem teh same as (or better than breastmilk). There marketing campaigns are directed to stop women from breastfeeding. If everyone breastfed they would be out of business thus the sample cans (of sabotage) sent to pg moms and the diaper bags at the hospital.
I can go on and on but I think its very sad if our society thinks "natures perfect food" as gross or not neccasary. In the words of Dr newman when I heard him speak at a conference. PPl can sustain life on McDonalds... its not optimal, its high fat, high calorie, same can be said about formula. That hit home for me.
Not to sound mean, but the question for this topic was why don't people breastfeed. Many of us who tried and ended up giving it up still struggle with guilt issues over that decision (I know I do...). Having a post like this in a thread that asks why we did not doesn't help matters. Please, take this into consideration when you enter a thread where women are explaining why they made this decision... I know you didn't intend such, but something like this can be hurtful. We have enough guilt.
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:38 PM   #87
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeater View Post
Like many others, I have a breastfeeding story. I was not planning on keeping my son, I was going to give him up for adoption, but I had made up my mind that I would at least breastfeed until I signed over my rights. I knew how good it was for him. When I got to the hospital the nursing staff knew of my plans because it was in my file or whatever and discouraged me from breastfeeding. They told me it'd make me bond with my baby and not want to give him up. So I had to figure out how to do it all on my own because none of the nurses wanted to help me. It wasn't nearly as easy as I thought it'd be.

The morning after DSs birth I was asleep while they were giving him a bath, and a nurse came in and asked his father if it was okay to give DS a bottle. They didn't even bother to wake me up!! When he came back in he had a pacifier in his mouth and I was furious. After that I figured screw it and he stayed on the formula until we brought him home 3 days later, after changing our minds about the adoption. By then I was engourged. I tried latching him on but it hurt like nothing else. My nipples were cracked and bleeding and barely anything was coming out. He wasn't getting enough to eat from me due to my stressing out and his improper latch. I couldn't afford to see a lactation consultant, or to get a pump. So I went back to formula because DS's grandma offered to buy it for him.

I tried relactating about 2 months later because I felt soo guilty for giving up. That lasted about a week before I gave up on it as well. Long story short I figured my son would rather have a healthy, rested, sane mother than a psychotic one. I so badly wish he wasn't on formula. I'm scared to meet other AP mamas in person because I don't breastfeed, and I know how judgmental some of them are.

Hugs mama!!! I know how hard your decisions were. You are doing great!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:41 PM   #88
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

THis is my second baby and I plan to nurse as long as I can with this one be it 6 wks or longer.

(I call it nursing because to me BF can also be pumping and feeding by bottle)

With my first.... there were several reasons. 1)I was 19 and I had no desire to nurse at all, lack of education about it, I lived with my parents, I had no desire to.
2) Contrary to what many say and think my milk nor colostrum came in until several weeks after DS was born becuase he was beech. By the time I got anything in, he was already on formula for so ling that I didnt want to switch him.
3) DS was lactose intolerant.

IMO the younger you are and the lack of education play a big part in not nursing.
Like I said I never had the urge to BF just because it wasnt soemthing that appealed to me no explanation for it. The nurse tried and tries and tries to get me to nurse she even went as far as putting BF only on his nursery card so he wasnt given any formula.

This time is defferent though. As soon as I got the little pink lines I knew that I wanted to at least try to nurse. Im older, Im married, I have more education about it. Its just something that I want to do.
There is no way however to tell right now if I will Exclusevly nurse or supplement with a little formula or not, but I am going to try.

Not trying to put anyone down or start anything, but I honestly dont get why so many are against formula feeding. If its what someone chooses to do then what does it matter as long as the baby is being fed and healthy. Someone choosing to FF isnt hurting you (general).

DS was FF from day one and he is healthier than several friends BF babies and he has been from day 1. Never had earaches, never sick, always in the 90th percentile on his checkups. There is no way that you can take him and a BF baby and tell the difference.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:58 PM   #89
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

I really don't like these threads. There is always judgment towards people who choose to ff. I don't think any mother needs to justify her feeding choices. It really doesn't matter why a mother chooses to bf or ff, nor is it anyone's business.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:44 PM   #90
sherbear178
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both of my children have been breastfed. Neither will have ANYTHING to do with a bottle. BFing was a strggule at first with my dd. I have very large breasts that got even bigger when my milk came in. I didnt have a nursing bra that fit and I had a really difficult time getting my daughter positioned properly. I finally got a My Brestfriend nursing pillow anda nursing bra and that helped a lot. For some reason both of my kids seem to like nuring on my left side better. I had a very difficult time getting my daughter to latch on and for quite a while it was VERY painful, to the point of me crying everytime she nursed on the right side. We fianlly got things worked out though and my DD breastfed until she was over 10 months old, at that point I was almost 5 months pregnant and my milk just went away despite all my efforts to keep bfing. When my son was born he had fluid in his lungs and had to be in the NICU for a few days. While he was there they gave him a bottle to feed him and they had me pumping to bring my milk in. I was so sad, firt of all because my baby that I had waited so long to meet had to be seperated from me and secondly because I felt sure that after being given a bottle for a few days he wouldnt want to bf. When he was finally allowed to come up to the room with me I decided to try to bf. The very first time I tried he latched right on with no problems what so ever and he has nursed beautifully ever since. He is now nearly 10 months old and still going stong. I didnt have much support either. My mom and grandmother have both passed away and I dont have any other female relatives with the exception of a younger sister in this area. My DH was supportive but he had no idea how to help me. His step mom didnt breastfeed and neither did his step sister so there was no help from them either. In fact many times I heard from members of my DH's family that I should give up on breastfeeding and if my daughter cried then that obviously meant she was hungry and she needed suuplemental formula. By the time my son came along I was much more confident and I knew that he was happy breastfeeding and that he wasnt hungry. I am really glad that I didnt listen to people who told me to quit. BFing has been a wonderful experience for me and because of that expeience I am now going to school for nursing and I plan to become an LC so I can help other moms. One of the biggest benefits of nursing for me (other than health) was the fact that it is free and as other have mentioned it can be done pretty much anywhere. I can see why some people would want to formula feed. It would be nice to be able to have someone else feed them baby once in a while but thats what pumping is for. There are many reasons why people choose not to bf. I know my husbands step sister told me that she chose not to do it because she was a young mom at 16 and she just didnt feel comfortable with it. Some women like my one sister in law are just lazy and dont want to have to put in the effort. For her first pregnancy she claimed that she was going to breastfeed but the baby didnt want to which I totally dont beleive because everytime I held her she would try to put her face right up to my boobs everytime. She said she was going to try to pump but she was only doing it once a day so obviously her milk dried up pretty fast. With her second baby she didnt even try, she claimed that her daugher wouldnt like it so she just wasnt going to do it. I dont get that persoanlly, especially since her and her husband are broke. To each his own though. I certinly dont think the bfing is disgusting at all. Its beautiful and it is the way that nature intenede it to be, how can that be wrong? All that said about breastfeeding there is nothing wrong with formula feeding. Some people try and try and it just dosent work for many different reasons. The most important thing is a happy, well fed baby wether it be breast or bottle.

Last edited by sherbear178; 10-12-2006 at 07:50 PM.
sherbear178 is offline   Reply With Quote