Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Strange question re: forgetting how to nurse....

could my 15mo old forget how to nurse in the week I've been away? My dh and I went on vacay for 7days and we just got back last night. During the night, ds woke and was very, very fussy and awake for an hour. I offered the breast several times and he refused. At the end of it, I offered the breast and he nursed and went to sleep. Tonight I sat with him in the rocking chair and offered the breast like I always have at bedtime and he acted funny. First, he just cried and cried and pulled away (he was exhausted and extremely cranky) and then he put his mouth on there and just rubbed it back and forth like he didn't know what to do. It was odd considering he did it the night before. What does that sound like to you? Do you think he's just super exhausted, has an EI and didn't want to? Or could he have forgotten how to nurse?

Advertisement

SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Strange question re: forgetting how to nurse....

My son went through a phase when he was about the same age and it did not follow a separation from me. I thought he was weaning, b/c he seemed to not remember how to nurse. But, I kept offering and he went back to nursing a few days later and is still nursing (at 26 m/o) a couple of times a day (naps and bed.) So, you never know.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He just started fussing so I went in and offered it again and this time he took it. IDK. I feel so torn. I wanted this vacation to be the point at which we weaned and had major plans to not pump and let the milk dry up and not offer it when I got home, and now I don't want to stop unless he wants to stop, KWIM?
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
Old 05-25-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
He just started fussing so I went in and offered it again and this time he took it. IDK. I feel so torn. I wanted this vacation to be the point at which we weaned and had major plans to not pump and let the milk dry up and not offer it when I got home, and now I don't want to stop unless he wants to stop, KWIM?
I definitely understand. I never envisioned myself nursing a 2 year old. I really only learned about child-led weaning in the past couple of years and it really seems right for us now. But, there have been times where I have felt like enough already! But, I had to work so hard with BFing that I feel like if he still wants to do it, it is okay for me at this point.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

The milk probably tastes different as you've been away -- will be saltier. He also could just be expressing frustration/annoyance that you've been gone (I am NOT saying this in a guilting manner at all, honest, but I have heard that since babies don't understand you'll sometimes see it in this sort of manner) I'm guessing he'll come back to the breast.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think there's definitely an element of truth to that frustration thing. He's definitely punishing us for being away, in his own way. He's just more demanding/aggressive/strong willed right now. I think the nursing may be part of that. I just thought it odd that he seemed to not know what to do there for a minute. He just nursed again for a few minutes so I think he remembers but there's likely something else going on.