Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Why wooden toys?

I've noticed that its very "earth mama" to get your kids wooden toys (like HABA), and I'm wondering what the reasons for this is? and a side note, why are the cute wooden things so dang expensive?

Advertisement

Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why wooden toys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy589 View Post
I've noticed that its very "earth mama" to get your kids wooden toys (like HABA), and I'm wondering what the reasons for this is? and a side note, why are the cute wooden things so dang expensive?
LOL, I'd love to know why they are so expensive too.
I don't know all the specifics and I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be a bigger help, but it has something to do with the chemicals in mainstream toys.

I've really been wondering about it too so I'm going to stick around.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:22 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

we buy wooden toys because for me i like them better and they last longer, no small peices to break and choke on, plus i think theyre CUTER
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
MommaBelt
waiting on response to fsot issue 4/11

I have grown to dislike plastic VERY much, its CHEAP and breaks alot easier than wooden toys. Plus Im sickof all the music and loud noises that the plastic toys are notorious for
MommaBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

They're more natural, obviously. And we stive to have things as natural as possible in our house. I'm not sure on all the specifics, but it takes a LOT of work to create things out of plastic. Lots of resources, ect. And I think there are bad by-products of plastic manufactoring? (Trying to remember all of this off the top of my head, lol) Plus we don't do electric toys that condition a child to respond a certain way - we prefer toys that allow our child to use his imagination so that it can be used any way he sees fit - and these toys are harder to find in plastic. Most plastic toys (most toys in general for children now) are electronic.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Hm, I'd love to have someone type a big ole rant about plastic toys for me. lol I'm interested, but wanting to learn more about what the issues are here.... I get the electronic aversion and the need for open ended play toys, but Little People aren't electronic, and allow for creative play, but they are plastic.... I guess there are a couple different issues, the plastic vs wooden and then the type of toys you buy altogether being another issue. Anyway, I'll keep looking into it...
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:51 PM   #7
loulou belle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have the Ryans Room doll house and love it. I think she has every piece ever made, to include a fort, the hot tub, and well, lets just say it has its own room in the house!! By siblings boys have the fire truck and fire house, and the pirate ship. My dd really wants the horses now. However, it is very $$$!

Website: http://www.growingtreetoys.com/brand/ryans-room.html
loulou belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #8
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou belle View Post
We have the Ryans Room doll house and love it. I think she has every piece ever made, to include a fort, the hot tub, and well, lets just say it has its own room in the house!! By siblings boys have the fire truck and fire house, and the pirate ship. My dd really wants the horses now. However, it is very $$$!

Website: http://www.growingtreetoys.com/brand/ryans-room.html
Oh yeah! I saw those at Target once! But that was way back when I was doing Christmas shopping last year and DS was too little for them... I wonder if they still have them there.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #9
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Actually, even Little People have gone mostly electronic now. I like wooden toys cause they leave more room for imaginative play and they're cuter. They do not, however, always last longer. I rarely have plastic toys break, but my wooden ones are always losing pieces and breaking. I wish they were cheaper.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #10
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have a store called Toys that Teach around here that has that doll house! I want it soooo bad. lol
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote