Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #11
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP!!!ANYONE here trying to BF and have health issues since pregnancy/birth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperingMama View Post
Thanks Shannon! I started off thinking it wasn't an 'all or nothing' thing either, but then reading some of the posts on here with the bfing support... I wondered if I was just fooling myself. I am so glad that you ladies keep everyone grounded. I know that I am not the only mama who would love to bf exactly like we hear that everyone else does, but it just isn't happening. My DH is so glad that I haven't given up and just keep pumping. {He knows how important bfing is to both of us and how sad we would be if we just gave up}. I am thinking of getting the SNS immediately, but since I am out of state.. not sure where to get it or how to use it. We will be here until next week so I am hoping that my health continues to stay atleast the same, not get worse, and maybe I can attend a LLL meeting here. DH said he would take me, but I wonder how they feel about having a man/daddy there?
The blood pressure medicine I am on is "OK" for bfing even though it gets in the bm. {I was concerned with that}. The other medicine for the UTI isn't approved for nursing infants under one month old though. I have no idea why they didn't give me one that was. I told them I was bfing, asked if it was safe for bfing, and was told yes. They gave me one at the hospital and then the pharmacy told me that about bfing infants under one month. So to be safe.. I am not giving the bm to Egan until I finish it. I was going to call my ob at home to see what she said, but since I am in another state {7 hours away} I figured that she would say just do what the ER doctor said to do here. I still may call tomorrow when it isn't the weekend and ask her if it is okay or if she will get me another medication called in down here to a pharmacy.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I hope things continue to go good for you and Aiden with bfing!
You should be able to get an SNS at your hospital LC office or go on the Medela website and search for an authorized dealer in your area (usually LCs or medical supply stores.) If you cannot find anyone local, I just did a search on eBay and found the Elite Breastfeeding supplies sells the Lact-Aid and SNS.

I also found another listing for the Medela Hazelbaker fingerfeeder. This is what I actually used an an SNS. I liked it because it was only two pieces, so it was easy to assemble and clean. It also has a valve, so milk only flow if the baby sucks or if you squeeze it. It only holds 2 oz though, so it is not good if you will need to supplement long term. But, if you want to try it, you may find a local LC that still has one available. I only paid about $25 last time I bought one a year ago. If you want to try it, PM me and I can give you tips.

A super place for support with milk supply and supplementing at the breast is www.bfar.org It is for mamas who have had BR surgery, but they also have forums for low milk supply and galactagogues and a great tutorial on using an SNS. It is inspiring to chat with women who have worked very hard to nurse even if they have not been able to produce a full supply. It helped me get over my "all or nothing" mentality.

There are often dads at my LLL meeting.

Advertisement

Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
3boysmom
Registered Users

Re: HELP!!!ANYONE here trying to BF and have health issues since pregnancy/birth?

I wanted to pipe in and reassure you, that although your LO isn't latching NOW, doesn't mean he Won't!

My DS was born, and transferred right to NICU. I didn't have any opportunity to BF him until he was two days old. The only way we could leave the hosp was supp. with forumla. I didn't care. I pumped like a crazy lady at the hospital, continued to do so at home (with a hospital grade pump) and kept offering breast at EVERY feed, before, during and after.

After two months, my DS FINALLY latched. We went on to nurse past a year!

It was VERY stressful, and such an emotional rollercoaster ride. Pumping around the clock is HARD work.

But, please don't give up if this is something you really have your heart set on!

And also know, whatever you ARE providing your son, you are doing a great job, and the other mamas are right. Some BM is better than none!

Keep your chin up, mama.

Everything has a way of working itself out!!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #13
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by odentonmom View Post
First, I wanted to say, don't give up. I have had lots of problems with breastfeeding, low milk supply being a constant. I gave upi BFing my eldest son in the first week because of a similar situation. I was forced to supplement because of his size (9 lb 6 oz) and they said that his blood sugar would drop if we didn't. They also told me that he would still BF if he had a bottle. Uh, no.

With my 2nd baby, I stuck with it for 2 1/2 months and gave up due to very persistent thrush and supply issues. I thought of BFing as an all or nothing deal and looking back I am sad that I didn't try to keep at it as long as my son would BF, even if he ended up getting a lot of formula. There is so much value in every drop of BM and in the simple act of BFing.

With my 3rd baby, I struggled with supply and thrush again. I did a lot of supplementing at the breast and pumping to increase supply. I made it to 9 months BFing her.

With my youngest son, I felt like it was probably my last chance to BF, so I really did a lot of research and planning. I was committed to making it to 1 year. Then, I was thrown a curve ball when on the second day of life it was clear that there was something wrong. He went to the NICU and I ended up having to exclusively pump because he was NPO. He went on to have surgery and spend almost 5 weeks in the nursery, where he was not allowed to BF at all. So, I had to EP and give him my milk in bottles.

When I brought him home, he was hesitant to nurse. I was determined to get him back to the breast. With the disease he has it was super important to me to BF him. He had to have part of his colon removed and he needed BM since that was easier to digest and a natural laxative. I also wanted him to have the natural immunities because of all his exposure to illness with his frequent hospital and doctor visits. So, when I brought him home, I cut out all bottles and supplemented him at the breast. Once I did that he came around and nursed.

I took galactagogues, pumped to build my supply and I managed to exclusively BF him until 1 year. He still nurses a little now, at 26 months old. I found really good support and resources online and at LLL.

I would also recommend getting your thyroid checked. Some mamas have problems with their thyroid function postpartum. Also, find out what your number is and verify that with a knowledgeable LC. Many doctors do not realize that the thyroid numbers for a lactating woman are different that regular. So, if they just tell you your numbers are good, make sure they are comparing them to the correct standards.

PM me if you ever need support or want to know about some of the things that worked for me.

Thanks Christine for your support, advice, and encouragement! I just read today about the thyroid. What numbers should I be looking for that are good/bad? I will definitely have my ob/gyn check those numbers when I go back home next week. I am embarrassed to say that I don't even know what they are supposed to be regularly.

I am pumping with a hospital grade pump. The Medela Symphony. I think the horn things are too big even though I have large breasts. Maybe that could be an issue? I also had time to check the other post I did on large breasts and found the post that says 'hands free pumping". When I am doing the 30 minute pumping.. that would really come in handy.

I am so glad that you were able to bf your youngest exclusively! I hope I will get to do the same. This thread has really given me some much needed support/encouragement on feeling like what I am doing is important and that it isn't just a wasted effort.

Thanks so much ladies!! I really do sooooooooooooooooooooooo appreciate the stories, encouragement, and advice that you have shared!
Old 06-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by odentonmom View Post
You should be able to get an SNS at your hospital LC office or go on the Medela website and search for an authorized dealer in your area (usually LCs or medical supply stores.) If you cannot find anyone local, I just did a search on eBay and found the Elite Breastfeeding supplies sells the Lact-Aid and SNS.

I also found another listing for the Medela Hazelbaker fingerfeeder. This is what I actually used an an SNS. I liked it because it was only two pieces, so it was easy to assemble and clean. It also has a valve, so milk only flow if the baby sucks or if you squeeze it. It only holds 2 oz though, so it is not good if you will need to supplement long term. But, if you want to try it, you may find a local LC that still has one available. I only paid about $25 last time I bought one a year ago. If you want to try it, PM me and I can give you tips.

A super place for support with milk supply and supplementing at the breast is www.bfar.org It is for mamas who have had BR surgery, but they also have forums for low milk supply and galactagogues and a great tutorial on using an SNS. It is inspiring to chat with women who have worked very hard to nurse even if they have not been able to produce a full supply. It helped me get over my "all or nothing" mentality.

There are often dads at my LLL meeting.

Thanks again Christine! I will definitely check those links out! I am sure that I will be PMing you soon to get tips, advice, and to thank you again for all your info, encouragment, etc. I am inbetween massive headaches, looking for a house, taking care of babies, etc so please forgive me if it takes awhile to get back to you. I am feeling better today so I am hoping the meds they have me on will only keep making me feel better and better.

I am out of state right now, but wonder if I should contact a local LLL group/leader here and see if they can help me. We will be moving here soon anyway. Maybe I could buy the things you listed above from them and they could show me how to use them, etc?

Thanks again for taking the time out to post those links and share your experiences and encouragements! You ladies are so awesome!! I hope this thread also helps another mama who is struggling and feeling overwhelmed! It really does help to know that you aren't alone and that there ARE things you can do. It also helps to know that it CAN get better and that your efforts aren't all in vain.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #15
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysmom View Post
I wanted to pipe in and reassure you, that although your LO isn't latching NOW, doesn't mean he Won't!

My DS was born, and transferred right to NICU. I didn't have any opportunity to BF him until he was two days old. The only way we could leave the hosp was supp. with forumla. I didn't care. I pumped like a crazy lady at the hospital, continued to do so at home (with a hospital grade pump) and kept offering breast at EVERY feed, before, during and after.

After two months, my DS FINALLY latched. We went on to nurse past a year!

It was VERY stressful, and such an emotional rollercoaster ride. Pumping around the clock is HARD work.

But, please don't give up if this is something you really have your heart set on!

And also know, whatever you ARE providing your son, you are doing a great job, and the other mamas are right. Some BM is better than none!

Keep your chin up, mama.

Everything has a way of working itself out!!

Thanks mama! That is exactly what I was hoping and praying to hear! Thanks for taking the time out to respond and give encouragement! This is something that I really have my heart set on! I will definitely keep going!
Old 06-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #16
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

I say definitely call a group tomorrow. It has been my experience that the mammas at LLL are willing to help anyone, whether you live there or not.
*****No longer anxiously awaiting Aiden - He's HERE!!****
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:52 AM   #17
3boysmom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperingMama View Post
Thanks mama! That is exactly what I was hoping and praying to hear! Thanks for taking the time out to respond and give encouragement! This is something that I really have my heart set on! I will definitely keep going!
I also wanted to add mama, please don't beat yourself up for circumstances beyond your control!
I give you such huge props! Alot of mamas would have given up by now (And I can't say I blame them! And there is no fault in that!), but you continue to keep on keeping on!

Way to go Mama. You're doing great!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #18
amegrl520
Registered Users
seller

Chin up mama! You are doing all you can for that precious little man! I say don't give up!!! A lot of people have a hard time in the beginning with the nursing and haven't been thru 1/2 as much as you. I think if you still have some milk in there that you should continue to give him as much ebm as you can and suppliment with formula for the rest. You NEED to get yourself healthy so you can be there for the kids. I definitely to do think you will be able to get him to latch be able to exclusively bf. It will take determination but you CAN do it!

amegrl520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #19
oootheduchess
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think it is SO awesome that you are so determined and willing to make such an effort... what lucky children you have to have a momma that loves and cares for them SO much! So many women in your situation would have just given up. GOOD FOR YOU that you have not!
oootheduchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #20
mom23girls
Registered Users

My Mood:

Kaydee - I also had preeclampsia when Iwas pregnant and then had very high bp's afterwards. Right now the most important thing is to take care of yourself - even if it means taking bp meds. There are many save bp meds to take however when you are nursing. Another website to get some additional preeclampsia information and some information on mamas who are breastfeeding while taking bp meds is: www.preclampsia.org. I take Toprol and Norvasc right now and FINALLY my BP is down to a managable level. Both were approved by my pedi/neonatologist for use while BF. Also get a copy of the Dr. Hale's Medications & Nursing - you can also find out his information online.

The pump is super important like others have said. I'm glad you have a hospital grade pump - it will make alot of difference. The SNS is a great idea - I didn't get that suggestion either though - I wonder why they don't offer it more? Would be a good question!

My dd was exclusively bottle fed for a little over a month and didn't really catch on to nursing until the couple of months but she's great at it now and transitions really easily - don't give up hope!

PM me if you have other questions about my pp experience or would like more information on bp meds - I'll see what I can do to help!