Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 AM   #11
Sunnyj
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Advise on Guilt... Formula Feeding Moms

I have guilt too. My mom and mother-in law both nursed their kids until 3. Here I am the only ff in the family, but I tried my best and after that there is nothing else to do. Try to put it in perspective.

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #12
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know the feeling. DS was FF.. I tried to nurse but he couldnt latch. So I tried to pump, well that didnt work so ell even with hospital grade pump.. by 2 moths my milk had compltely dried up, and he received formula supplements from 1 day on. We also went through formula hell and he eventually ended up on Nutramigen, ten Alimentum ready-to-feed (only corn-free formula). I also suspect he ahd silent reflux but it went undiagnosed.. I harbored intense guilt for "giving up" and "not trying hard enough" until he was about 18 months and had a video swallow study done. Well, that revealed that he A) did have reflux and B) the muscles in the back of is throat were weak and tus he wasnt able to suck properly, it affected his swallowing abilities, and it also explained his recurrent pneumonia (from aspiration).. the Dr who did the study told me that no matter how much I tried, he would not have been able to latch and nurse effectively given his oral motor deficiencies. In fact, he couldnt even use a regular slow-flow nipple.. he needed a fast flow nipple a a newborn, and the Dr said essentially he needed the milk to drip into his mouth for him. At 28.5 months he has made vast improvements and is finally starting to catch up in terms of his oral motor abilities (with the help of weekly speech therapy over the past 14 months.) Altho I still feel bad, especially considering I breastfed DD for 17 months, I feel better knowing that I did try and he IS happy and healthy.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #13
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfjjmc View Post
That is why I stopped. I couldn't even get out of bed, Dr. strongly advised me to go on medication, because it was getting worse by the day. So I can't even try to nurse now because of the meds.. It is nice to know that someone else has had the same problem.
Mama, what meds are you on?? I nursed DD while on Zoloft and later swicted to Cymbalta, ambien, chloral hydrate.. as well as pain meds and musle relaxers (for a chronic pain condition).. and my DD was fine. Unfortunately alot of Doctors are terribly misinformed and tell you you cant nurse on meds that are actually totally safe to nuse with.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #14
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't feel guilty mama...i mean it's natural to feel guilty b/c obviously you wanted things to go a different way , but don't be too hard on yourself. My LO had reflux and spit up all the time before I went to formula, it only continued after I changed. The only thing that did get better are his diapers...he constantly got bad diaper rashes to the point of getting bloody and I couldn't stand that. after I went to formula his diaper rashes cleared up and I never had a problem afterwards. In any case if i could have gotten a better pump I would have at least continued to pump after i'd gone back to work. That was a major obstacle.

(((HUGS))) and hoping you feel better