Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2006, 09:41 AM   #21
GetFionadiapers
Registered Users
seller

Re: Just when I finally made it this far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom View Post
She is a very high needs baby, she has been from day 1! She will not play outside when it's sunny because she doesnt like the sun, she hated last winter because it was cold, she threw a screaming fit walking from the house to the car no matter how bundled she was, she wont play outside now because she doesn't like when the leaves crunch, she throws a screaming fit.

So I kind of assumed that the new crabbiness was a combination of teething and Em's personality. The ped admitted that it "could be" but she should have formula to be on the safe side.
I have a very high needs child too!! My 4 year old is still high needs. wait till she gets a little older and people think she is just a brat! They comment and make you feel like a horrible mom! She isnt a brat she is just overly sensitive to everything and she has been that way since the day she was born!

your dr sounds dumb too! I could never tell when the disposable dipe was wet but i always know it cloth!

As for the op. I say try to maybe pump a few bottles for her a day and ask about DUOCAL. My oldest had a problem where she had to be taught to swallow. She was so skinny that we were perscribed duocal and we had to put it in everything so if she actually got food down, she would have double the calories.

Its just an idea. I say pump them if you can so you can add the duocal. I dont think formula is nessasaraly the answer! (and I ffed both kids not that i am proud of it or anything)

Advertisement

GetFionadiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:47 AM   #22
jennylou
Registered Users

Don't supplement just yet! First, try nursing on just one side at a time, to be sure she's getting the fatty hind milk. Next, maybe introduce some new solids to her.

Avacado is high in good fats and is a good food to introduce.

And for the next week, I'd just nurse, nurse, nurse. Give her breast milk as much as you can - breast milk pops (make them in an ice cube tray), in a sippy cup - however she'll take it.

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #23
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylou View Post
Don't supplement just yet! First, try nursing on just one side at a time, to be sure she's getting the fatty hind milk. Next, maybe introduce some new solids to her.

Avacado is high in good fats and is a good food to introduce.

And for the next week, I'd just nurse, nurse, nurse. Give her breast milk as much as you can - breast milk pops (make them in an ice cube tray), in a sippy cup - however she'll take it.

Good luck!
2 pounds in 2 months (especially with the new level of activity at that age) is not that big of a deal. Like pp said, she probably needs more fat. Do you cosleep? Letting baby nurse on demand at night time really gives them the calories they need. GL, sounds like you are a good mama- follow your instincts!
Old 10-17-2006, 10:21 AM   #24
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

We don't cosleep, I'd like to, but she wouldnt. She wakes up 2-5 times during the night to nurse though...getting closer to 5 the last week or so. She'll stay on the boob for about a half hour at a time then. She gets avacodo twice a week because of the high level of healthy fat

I think her ped overreacted but it made me feel really bad Had me doubting myself...today I'm feeling a bit better.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:22 AM   #25
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Oh, and also, she doesn't get fluids ANYWHERE but from the breast, she refuses a sippy cup, reg cup, and a straw. I tried a bottle of pumped milk about a month and a half ago because I was very sick and couldn't eat so I had a low milk supply, she wouldnt touch it...nursed through the whole sickness even tho it was very obvious I had almost no milk.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:57 AM   #26
honeybunmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom View Post
OKay, here's what I decided on. I'm going to add an extra meal every day for her but since I can't pump anymore to add breastmilk to her oatmeal and other veggies, I'm going to add a scoop of formula in with that stuff and certain veggies. And I'm going to breastfeed before and after the new solid feeding and pump around it too.

The only thing is that she gets constipated every time I try to add a second solid feeding...should I be trying to convince her to take water?? I HIGHLY disagree with juice.

And for the height question, she has grown 4 inches in the last 3 months. She is 29 1/2 inches tall (19 at birth)...they say they should grow about an inch a month at first...and she's grown 10 1/2 inches in 9 months...so she's doing good on that level.

I used to mix all her cereal and foods with breastmilk but I just can't pump enough for that anymore.

I know she is getting plenty of hindmilk because my hindmilk comes almost immediatly after I stop "feeling" letdown. BUT she is a 5 min nurser, after that she is way to ansty to get down.

What kind of cereal is she eating? I ask because rice made my daughter constipated. You might need to change that up to find something that she tolerates better. Oh, I see it's oatmeal - another grain might suit her better. My dd didn't gain a full pound between 4 and 6 mos (I think she did, but lost it in the 2 weeks before her 6 mos appointment when I went back to work and she wasn't taking her bottles too well at first). In any event, she was having 2 solid feedings in addition to her bm bottles and pedi told me to add an evening meal and up the ounces of bm I was leaving her. And our next weigh in was 6 weeks later. What the pedi says about not being able to gague her pee by cd's is ridiculous. The info I see out there *is* for cd's - 8-10 dipes for baby of x mos and that it should be shortened by a dipe or 2 for *sposies*!!

Have you asked your pedi how many babies in his/her practice are breastfed and what his/her overall opinion is of breastfeeding? Sounds to me like you're not getting great support from the pedi. Anyone who's done a modicum of reading knows that supplementing can kill your supply. Good luck mama! You've done a fabulous job so far and no doubt will continue to do so.

ETA: my dd daughter was (still is!) a 5 minute nurser, too. Definitely start with the last breast you fed from then, to make sure she's getting all of the hindmilk in that boob. Or, as my pedi suggested, pump right after she eats so you can see if she's leaving anything behind or not. . . and know that what you express manually is almost definitely less than what's actually left if your breast and what she could otherwise express herself.

On the juice front - we don't do juice either and my dd LOVES water. I'd say around 9-10 mos I let her have about 1 sippy cup a day of water. And no, she wouldn't finish the whole cup.

Elisa

Last edited by honeybunmom; 10-17-2006 at 11:01 AM.
honeybunmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:13 PM   #27
aschrimp
Registered Users

My ds has lost a pound and a half over the 3 months between 9 mos and 12. He's at the top of the growth charts, so no one is worried. I can say with 100% certainty that it's not a supply issue with us. I still have tons of milk, and can pump 6+ oz from one side in the evening if he only nurses on the other side before going to bed (not that he will *ever* take it in a bottle or sippy - lol).

He is teething and has started crawling and walking during that time, IMHO that is why he has lost weight.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:14 PM   #28
aschrimp
Registered Users

PS - ds gets water in a straw cup occasionally, and we've found that he definately prefers ice water.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:37 PM   #29
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: UPDATE DD"S GROWTH CHART FOR BREASTFED BABIES Just when I finally made it this far...

I found a growth chart on kellymom for BREASTFED BABY GIRLS rather than unisex ff infants... Here is what it turned out to be for my DD...Sure, there was a HUGE spike...but now she is just going back on track! I don't think that I need to be worrying!

Old 10-17-2006, 09:45 PM   #30
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: UPDATE DD"S GROWTH CHART FOR BREASTFED BABIES Just when I finally made it this far...

NM I messed up on it! That last red dot should be 1 line down...so she has dropped off in other words. Well we'll see at her weight check next week!