Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation Ouch my boob!!! Need assistance!

My left breast has been having some BIG issues the last few weeks. I had a plugged duct for like 3 days straight then got it fixed (or I should say emptied), but then yesterday it came back times 100. It hurts and is slightly red in the area. I know it is just a plugged duct, but it doesn't want to empty. I bought a hand pump to help cuz my DS has decided that now is the time to cut back on nursing again. He is already almost 22 months old, so I am fine with him wanting to cut back a little bit on nursing in the day...but man I need him to empty this thing.

Oh and since my breast hurts I tried giving him the expressed milk in a bottle for naptime, since his latch wants to stab my plugged milk duct, but he will NOT take a bottle at all. Should I keep trying or should I just give him the milk in a sippy cup? Honestly I've never given him a bottle before now other than 1 time with a little water in it when it was really hot out last summer. Is it weird that he will not take it now or am I just asking too much of him?

Any advice would be great, cuz I'm almost at my wits end. It's hard to take care of my snuggly kids when my chest hurts so much.

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
mamacake
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ouch my boob!!! Need assistance!

It's fine that he wont take a bottle now- better actually (kids really shouldn't have a bottle past 12 months- please no one jump in here to debate that- that's just what the pediatricians advise so some water in a sippy cup would be great. Milk in a sippy at nap time could potentially rot his teeth if he's sitting there sucking on it (although breastmilk is a lot less likely to do that than formula/cow's milk) so i'd just stick with water for now if he'll accept that and give him the bm only if he wont take the water. And if he gets the water at naptime just give him the expressed bm in a sippy during the day as a drink...
HTH!
mamacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
Angel3167
Registered Users

My Mood:

I used to get plugged ducts a lot 'cause I was an EP'r. You could try to warm compress it before you pump and cold compress after your finished. Since it's a hand pump it's a you can't really do this during your pump session but try to hand massage it, going towards the nipple of course. Just watch and make sure it doesn't turn into mastitus! Also could you sit through the pain and try and let DS nurse on it. Some people recommend trying to position there chin over it to help massage it out. A baby is going to do a way better job of empting the breast. Although I don't know if it really works since I EP'd but that's what was recommended in my BFing class.
As for a bottle....I wouldn't get him attatched to one now. Does he drink out of a cup? I would just give it to him in that. You could do a sippy but I wouldn't lay him down with it. You could warm it up and give it to him before his nap but if he falls asleep some of it can pool in there mouths around the teeth and cause decay (the also say this for nursing them to sleep too though).
GL hopefully some of this was useful!
Old 06-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

if you start to feel sick (fever, chills, aches, like you got run over by a mack truck) you may have mastitis. the redness and warmth are a bit worrying to me. it comes on QUICK so if you start to feeling like that, call your dr or go to an urgent care. i don't know if i have ever felt so sick as when i had mastitis.

other than that, nurse as much as you can, massage, moist heat, try nursing with your breast dangling above (yea, i know, weird, but it does help many moms). some moms have success with using a soapy comb in the shower to help unplug the duct by "combing" downward over the lump. its horrible, isn't it? feel better soon.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
Connors_Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Put something warm on the sore area and massage it. Or I used to get in a hot shower and let the water run over it and then express milk while I was in there. Oh and holding your DS so his chin is pointing toward the clogged duct really helps too.
Your DS doesn't need a bottle at that age either, especially if he has never taken one. Use a sippy cup before his nap if he won't nurse, but having him nurse will make you feel way better once you get over the initial pain

Please excuse any typos/grammar issues, I'm probably NAK
Connors_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for all of the info. I have been worried that it will turn into mastitis, but so far I'm ok. I've decided to just give up on the bottle, since I honestly would hate for him to take one now anyways. I was just honestly desperate the other day since I didn't want my milk to go to waste. I will try putting it in a sippy cup though next time to see if he wants it then. My breast is still slightly tender, but I can tell that the plugged duct is a bit smaller. Hopefully this is a sign that it is slowly emptying.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
megviolet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Poor you! Take a close look at your nipple and see if you have a little white dot anywhere... i had a recurring clogged duct and it got really bad until i found the 'bleb' (milk blister) on my nipple. I popped it and the duct emptied out for good

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022100.asp

Good luck. It's so hard when BF is painful
Mama to ~Elizabeth Melody~ since May 2007 and expecting Baby #2 June/July 2010!
Bwing-BFing-CDing-CoSleeping-NonVaxing SAHM
Canadian
megviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megviolet View Post
Poor you! Take a close look at your nipple and see if you have a little white dot anywhere... i had a recurring clogged duct and it got really bad until i found the 'bleb' (milk blister) on my nipple. I popped it and the duct emptied out for good

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022100.asp

Good luck. It's so hard when BF is painful
Oh wow! I didn't know there was a name for that. I had problems with a plugged milk duct when my DD was a baby and popped something that looked like a like white zit or something, then my boob didn't get plugged anymore. Weird! I don't see one on my breast now, but I will definitely look more closely, cuz it is definitely a recurring thing. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
CourtCourt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm another that had mastitis, and I never felt so horrible in my life. I, of course, got it over a weekend, and didn't feel like going to the ER, and it was a pain to kick it.

One of the LCs gave me some good tips though - Fill up a basin with the hottest water you can stand, and stand over it and submerge the boob that hurts, with the nipple pointing down. The gravity will help it come out. She also told me to point baby's chin toward wherever the red part is, and they will suck it out faster. (For me, this meant my daughter nursing in a very awkward position, but it worked!)

Good luck!!
CourtCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
corey0902
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If the pain hasn't subsided with warm compresses and pumping you could always try a little cabbage. Take a small piece of white cabbage and break it up a little and put it over the tender area. This will help dry up a little of the milk and if your ds is already starting to nurse less during the day this will help prevent it from refilling completely. I would only use this for 15-20 minutes and only over the effected area. HTH!