Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
ali gal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If you weaned before 6 months....question inside...

If you weaned before 6 months, when did you get your first PPAF?

I weaned about a week and a half ago and no PPAF yet. I'm not too worried. I can count on one hand the # of times DH & I have DTD in 3 months (and 2 of those come in the last 3-4 days ). I have seriously low sexdrive while BFing so as soon as I wean, BAM, it's back. We use the P&P method while BFing. I called to ask my OB for a BCP script and they won't write anything for me until I get my first PPAF anyway. They'd rather my body work itself out and asked me to use a back-up method. My OB will intervene in 2 weeks if AF hasn't shown.

I weaned my son at 9 months and got PPAF in 4 days. The next month thoug, I was pregnant. So, I am seriously fertile.

What was your experience with PPAF if you weaned prior to 6 months?

Advertisement

Circumcising, organic & booby-feeding, baby-wearing, cloth-diapering, non-cosleeping, separate & delayed vaccinating, epidural-loving Mommy to Jackson (07/06), Audrey (01/08) & Beau (12/11) Wife to Dan Guess I'll go against the grain a little bit!

Last edited by ali gal; 06-04-2008 at 12:31 PM.
ali gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you weaned before 6 months....question inside...

Wow - it could take a while for it to return. more than likely a month or so - but what does the OB plan to do to "intervene???
Old 06-04-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
ali gal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonphishers View Post
Wow - it could take a while for it to return. more than likely a month or so - but what does the OB plan to do to "intervene???
Option A -- Place me on Provera to start my period
Option B -- Start BCP, which would start my period at the end of the pack of pills (hopefully)
Option C -- Could place Mirena IUD and not have to really worry about a period (but DH is against me getting an IUD)
Circumcising, organic & booby-feeding, baby-wearing, cloth-diapering, non-cosleeping, separate & delayed vaccinating, epidural-loving Mommy to Jackson (07/06), Audrey (01/08) & Beau (12/11) Wife to Dan Guess I'll go against the grain a little bit!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

why would you do all that? I dont' quite understand why it's such a big deal if you get it or not? It doesn't mean you can't use some form of birth control even if you haven't gotten your period. Is there some medical reason we don't know about???

that being said my first weaned at 7 months and I got my first PPAF at 9 months. my second I got my first PPAF at 10months and she nursed until 22months.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
ali gal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post
why would you do all that? I dont' quite understand why it's such a big deal if you get it or not? It doesn't mean you can't use some form of birth control even if you haven't gotten your period. Is there some medical reason we don't know about???

that being said my first weaned at 7 months and I got my first PPAF at 9 months. my second I got my first PPAF at 10months and she nursed until 22months.
Nope, no medical condition at all.

I didn't understand why it is such a big deal either but the nurse that I spoke with on the phone discussed it with my OB and she absolutely did not want to put me on BCP until my first PPAF. She said it would take a month before the BCP took effect anyway so they'd rather see if my body will bring on PPAF rather than them augmenting it. I've never had a problem with irregular periods or anything. Can I demand BCPs? Would I seem absolutely crazy if I did that?

We can use a method of BC like the foam, condoms, diaphragm, etc but just no BCPs (which is what I'd like to use). I guess I'm just annoyed b/c it doesn't make that much sense to me (like you are seeing).
Old 06-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

That's crazy talk from your OB right there. Mine offered me a scrip at my 6 week pp checkup, so I know there's no reason not to. Maybe you should go get one from a different doc.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:

uh yah id find a new doc! mine offers it at 6 wk pp too!
Jenifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
ali gal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, thanks ladies! Sorry to put this thread in the BFing Support group. It's not really for BFing Support I suppose so I sincerely apologize.

I thank you for each and every person's advice!!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
abbi77
Registered Users

My Mood:

What if you hadn't weaned? My ob offered the mini-pill scrip @ my 1st checkup last time, and I started it before weaning (only to stop again because it decreased my supply, but that's another issue)