Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
Registered Users
mama's that use a nursing supplementer?

Which one do you like and why?

I'm trying to decide which one to get. We are adopting a baby and I'm in the process of trying to get my milk supply and I know I will need one.

Delana, Wife to Michael 7-29-00. SAHM to Parker Stephen 2-14-03 and
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: mama's that use a nursing supplementer?

There are basically 2 choices. the Medela SNS and the Lact-Aid system.

I have only USED the Medela SNS. It worked, it kept us nursing. I used it for about 3 months at each feed till we could wean off of it. It has 3 sizes of tubing which is nice and it has 2 2 tubes that come down and a way to clap off one or both tubes as needed. It holds about 5oz at once which is the same as the medela BM storage/pumping bottles. I hated that you had to tape the tubes to your breast, but you would have to do that with either system. The SNS is a hard sided kinda rectangle bottle with a cap. It is easier to travel with. Say in a small bottle cooler. It seals better.

The Lactaid, I have never used myself but I have talked to many mamas who have used it. It is more expensive. You have to keep buying the liners/Bags. It is kinda like playlex drop ins in that way. It also leaks and is harder to travel with because the bags don't travel well from what I am told. But it is so posed to be more comfortable to use.

If you plan to you either system long term I suggest that you get a few SNSs or lactaids so that you can have one always ready to go. Maybe even 2 ready to go. The small parts of the SNS can NOT go into the dishwasher. the bottle part can go on the top rack though. The tubes are kinda difficult to clean on either system and it is just much easier to have several feedings ready to go especially in those early days when you are so busy anyway

just my 2 cents

Iso: XL BOY WOOL, Recycled fine needs to fit a 3T
shannong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

Here is a great comparison of the pros and cons of SNS and Lact-Aid:

I used something different, the Medela Hazelbaker Fingerfeeder as an ABS. But, it only holds 2 oz. It worked great for me since I was just supplementing a little at each feeding, but it wouldn't work for someone who needed to give a large volume at each feeding.
Christine, Wife to Reggie & BFing, BWing, CDing Mama to 4 great kids!
RJ (11y),Christian (8y),Olivia (4y)&Colin (2y Hirschsprung's Disease)
Au Pair in America - Live-in child care with a cultural flair.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:41 AM   #4
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington

I've only ever used the Medela SNS but I wish I had the one that was more like a bag. Mine was a hard plastic bottle that was very hard to conceal. It worked, but I was literally glued to my house because it was so hard to use, I had to be topless all the time.
Teresa -WAHM to 3 girls!!!

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote