Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
mcbruhn
Registered Users

Smile Yummy bread machine pizza dough recipe

I was PM'd with a request for this, and I decided to share it with everyone. It's also on the Thrifty Families forum.

DH and I make pizza pretty often. It's a great way to clean out our veggie drawer. Some of our favorite topping combos are:

1. Homemade pesto, chopped fresh tomatoes, feta cheese (goat cheese or ricotta works well and is milder), broccoli and good-quality salami. Sometimes we add mushrooms to this.

2. Classic pepperoni and mushroom or sausage and mushroom with mixed cheese and tomato sauce. I cook the sausage link first if I use it, then slice it.

3. Artichoke hearts and spinach with either tomato sauce or pesto.

4. Dessert pizza with sweetened lowfat cream cheese (for sauce) and topped with thinly sliced peaches. I usually flavor the dough with a little cinnamon for this.

We keep homemade pesto in ziploc bags in the freezer--keeps forever--and just break off chunks to thaw for pizza, pasta, etc. We also buy hard salami and sopressata from the Italian markets in Pittsburgh (or NYC) and freeze those. We chop up tiny pieces for pizza. They taste so good, you use LOTS LESS than the cheapo pepperoni from the grocery store! You can also freeze pizza sauce or just used chopped tomatoes or pasta sauce.

The cool thing is that you don't need much of any one ingredient for it to top a 12" pizza. 1-2 medium mushrooms, 1/3 of a broccoli crown, 2 oz. feta cheese, etc. are good for a 12-14" pizza.

So here's the recipe for a 12-14" pizza:

5/8 cups water
1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 cups unbleached white bread flour (whole wheat makes a stiffer dough--maybe add more oil or water if you use it. I've also used white flour instead of bread flour when I ran out and it worked fine.)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp honey (or 1/2 tsp granulated sugar)
1/2 tsp bread machine/rapid rise yeast
(we sometimes add in a little chopped garlic or herbs for flavor--or parmesan)

1. Put the ingredients in your machine in the order that the mfg. recommends. In ours, you put in wet ingredients first, dry next, yeast last. Prepare on the dough cycle. On our machine this takes 1:20.
2. For 1 pizza, we oil the pan with olive oil and then stretch the dough with oiled hands to the desired size, top, and bake at 425. The pizza will be done in 12-20 minutes, depending on thickness and toppings. Just use your nose and check frequently once you start to smell yummy pizza smells!

Here's the ingredients for 2 pizzas worth of dough (slightly different than doubling):

1 1/4 cups water
2 TB extra virgin olive oil
4 cups unbleached bread flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar (or 1 tsp honey)
1 tsp rapid rise/bread machine yeast

ENJOY!

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
Angel3167
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Yummy bread machine pizza dough recipe

Thanks mama! Is it "bready" My DH says the last dough I made was to "bready" Also I just have regular yeast do you think that would be ok
Old 06-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
mcbruhn
Registered Users

Re: Yummy bread machine pizza dough recipe

I don't know how well regular yeast would do in a bread machine--I've never tried it! The dough turns out nice and chewy, but not really dense, if that's what your DH means by "bready."